Helllooooo out there!!!

Home Forums Introductions & Connections Helllooooo out there!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Hi everyone! For those of you who are new to the forum, I’m Theresa, your friendly Introductions moderator! I’m a mom of 3 great kids, ages 9, 7 & 7! (yup, twins!) I have a BA in Anthropology from ’91 and have been a case worker, teacher, and speech therapist. I’ve completed my prereq’s for med school, took the MCAT last Spring, and have applied to medical school this year! 😀 My hubby and I are anxiously waiting to find out where I get in so we can start planning for next year. :crossfingers: Moving is a very real possibility for us since I applied to 9 or 10 schools.

I know we have a lot of new people on MomMD and I’d love for you guys to introduce yourselves! We are a friendly bunch!
    Theresa

KBRODKBROD
    Participant

Hi
    I’ve been using the forums for a while now, but somehow have never gotten around to introducing myself formally.
    I am a 32 year old mother of three (four, almost three and 14 mos). I live in Bradenton, Florida and originally come from England. We have been in the states for almost five years now and I have been a stay at home Mom all that time. I have a bachelor of science degree in Human Biology, a taught High school for five years prior to moving to the US. Medicine has always been something that I wanted to do and now that my children are getting older I am about to register for next semester to finish my pre reqs. I am really excited to be able to use my brain again, but nervous about juggling study and children. I am only applying to one med school (USF). I know this sounds crazy but because of my husbands job I have no choice. I am currently trying to get my Enlish qualifications ‘translated’ into American equivalencies. It is very frustrating as we don’t have GPAs in England so at the moment they have only given me a rough approximation of a GPA in terms of a letter grade. I’ll solve the problem eventually.
    I love this site as it has made me realize that I am not the only non-trad student with young children who has decided to pursue her dream . Alot of you have really inspired me.

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Heelllllooooo!! Echo. There must be someone new out there. Introduce yourselves!!
    Sethina

MomDO2BMomDO2B
    Participant

Hi all-I just joined this site last week on the recommendation of a fellow classmate and am loving it! I am a 40yo woman(almost 41)in my first year of medical school. My husband and I have 6 children, all boys, ranging in age from 11-24. Three of the boys are in college while the others are still home. My situation is rather unique in the fact that I am living away from my family while I am in school. Either my family comes to visit me on weekends or I go there. Though with my crazy study and test schedule, I find it very difficult to get enough time to go home. I miss my boys tremendously but for many reasons (like my husband’s job) we decided not to relocate the entire family. I am more than halfway thru my first semester and am surviving pretty well. I am adjusting to living alone which I have never done before!

Going to medical school was something I had always wanted to do and in fact was on the track to do until I discovered I was pregnant with my first child. I knew I could not do both full time and I did not want to miss out on my child’s formative first years, so I gave up on the idea. I always had it in my mind to go back but as I got older, my hopes kinda dwindled. A couple of years ago, after much deliberation and with my husband’s total support, I decided to go back to school at a community college just to see if I could handle academia again. I must say I loved taking classes so I made up my mind to take the next step. I took an MCAT prep course, took the MCAT, applied, and here I am. Although I am one of the oldest in my class and come from a far different perspective than many of my classmates, I don’t regret my decision one bit. I love the learning but hate the cramming for the exams! In retrospect too, I don’t think I would have changed the order of my life either(though there are a few experiences that I might have done without).

So that’s it in a nutshell. I would love to connect with other moms who are on the same wavelength or in similar situations.

Have a great day! 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.