Hello…it’s me

Home Forums Introductions & Connections Hello…it’s me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KelddyKelddy
    Participant

Hello…I joined this website after searching for support services on the web for “us” premeds who are thinking of or already have a family. I am currently 27 and my husband is 32. I got accepted to CAL and will be entering as a junior in one more week. I will be taking the MCAT in 04/03 and applying to med school thereafter….and with any luck get an interview (does anyone know when medical school interviews are granted?). My understanding is that they begin sometime in December? Anyway, my big dilemma is whether or not my husband and I should try to get pregnant now or wait until I finish medical school (at which time he will be ~40 and I will be ~35?). My reasons for trying now are:I desperately want to be a mother(I would like for my child to be at least 1 or 2 yrs old by the time that I enter medical school…and for it to be of school age by the time that I begin my residency, and I would like to have my child next summer ~ before medical school interviews. All my friends have children of their own..when I hold them I have to fight back the tears and remind myself of the life that I have chosen to live…the career path that I have chosen to embark on. My husband is very supportive of my choices as he is also in the medical field and knows all too well the trials and tribulations that we are headed for. However, at the same time that I find myself wanting to get pregnant I also ask myself “Am I crazy??????” Medical school is soooo hard….why make it any harder? This is my biggest dilemma right now.I have read many postings from premeds and med students who have children and I understand that family and medical school is doable…but at who’s expense? I am very confused…maybe petrified and would like to know if anyone has any feedback? Thank you so much for reading or responding and it’s great to be part of a great community of aspiring premeds!!!! 🙂

Future Mom MDFuture Mom MD
    Participant

I have four kids and a loving and supportive husband. My kids are age 8,7, 2, and 1.

I began my pursuit of my dream to become a doctor in January 2002.

I don’t think you having a baby right now will hinder you in pursuing your dream. Your baby will have the love of its father when you are not there. Your baby will be two by the time you start medical school, which will be demanding, but if you have the support of your husband, it will not be hard. You still get to come home at night to take care and provide a loving, nuturing relationship with your baby.

Sheretta

KelddyKelddy
    Participant

FutureMomMD…it seems that you waited a while to pursue your dream? I have thought about this too~but , in preparation for our wedding my husband and I both decided to put school on the back burner and at this point in time I do not want to do that again. Then I have also thought of giving up medical school completely…but am reluctant to because it is the only career that I will be happy with.They say that whatever is your passion …is what your more likely to succeed in~ so I have to pursue it. Well, thank you for your quick response…good luck! Have you finished all your prereq’s?

Future Mom MDFuture Mom MD
    Participant

Kelddy,

I got pregnant right after high school and ventured doing other things like starting my own medical transcription business to try and satisfy my urge of becoming a doctor.

I did not actually plan to wait. Our finances were so messed up that I had no other choice at the time.

Keep reading and posting, this forum is very supportive.

Sheretta

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.