Hello, to all. I’m new here.

Home Forums Premed Students Hello, to all. I’m new here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    my3girlsmy3girls
    Participant

I’ve been reading messages here and there on this board for awhile, and have finally decided to make the time to post a message on this board. I’ve also, had to admit to myself that this is where I really want to be. I have a BS in medical technology, a field I pursued ten years ago, with the intention of going to medical school. Once graduation came however, I decided to get married and had children and at that point medical school seemed impossible. I was also completely content being at home, raising my children. Once they got a little older I returned to my career, but I hated working in a lab. I really wanted to work with patients. So, over the past year, I took a paycut and began working as a medical assistant in an OB/GYN practice to see if women’s health is really the speciality of medicine I would like to pursue. Well, it was the best decision I could have made. I love this field. I researched the prospect of applying and attending medical school, but, at the age of 34, with a husband and three daughters ages 8, 6, and 2, it just didn’t seem practical. My practical alternative was to apply to a BSN program, which I started this past fall. I finished the semester with a 4.0, which I am extemely proud of. However, at the same time, I don’t feel like I’m challenging myself and I don’t mean any disrespect to anyone, by what I’m about to say, but, I feel like I’m settling on nursing. I intended to pursue a nurse practitioner degree, after working in OB, for a few years. By doing so, however, I’m afraid that at the end of that road, no matter how much else I accomplish, I still won’t be a doctor, which is what I think I really want. When I researched this avenue, the debt seemed insurmountable, the reimbursements are dwindling, residency seems impossible with three children – by the time I’d be finished my oldest will be ready to graduate high school – but, being aware of all that, this yearning to go to med school just won’t go away. Does anyone else know how I feel? Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

shellbellshellbell
    Participant

Hi there,

Wanted to pop in and welcome you aboard. Your childrens ages are close to mine. I have a 7,5,18month.

Welcome
    Michelle

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Welcome aboard! We ALL know how you feel. I am an ADN RN, and decided not to pursue my BSN, but get a BLS, and apply to medical school. I thought about the FNP thing, but ya know what, I want to be a doctor! Im not going to settle for what seems to be the next best thing to me, and what maybe easier. Nope. I only have one chance at this, it is going to be now or never. It is a scary decision with kids and all….I have 6 kids, the youngest being 3, and 4. There are sacrafices everyone in the family will have to make….but from this, everyone will benefit and prosper.

9Lives9Lives
    Participant

Welcome, My3girls! I am currently in the middle of the FNP program (Like PreMedRN, I am an ADN RN with a BA in Education). Last September, I decided to embark on the path to medical school as I complete the FNP. Like you, my most sincere desire was to become an MD, but was limited due to my husband’s job. He couldn’t relocate anywhere near a medical school. Therefore, I decided to become a nurse practitioner because it was what I could do in my circumstances.

Well, things have changed, and I am no longer limited by my husband’s job. He is free to go with me whereever my career path takes me. Plus, he is my greatest source of encouragement and support!

Being a nurse practitioner would have been a great career, if my husband’s job had kept us in northern Wyoming. I would have enjoyed it, poured my heart and soul into it, but . . . I’m sure I would have never lost that nagging little desire that I could have/should have become a doctor.

My children are grown (19 and 22 years old) so I don’t have your dilemma of having to pursue medical school with all of the obstacles that entails. Only you can determine whether or not the sacrifices you will have to make will be worth it for your family. However, your children will probably be really proud of you! As they get older, they will hopefully come to understand your motivations and desires–and how important they are to you.

Glad to see you found this website! There are so many encouraging women who post here. Good luck as you make your decision.

momof3boysmomof3boys
    Participant

Originally posted by my3girls:
    I’ve been reading messages here and there on this board for awhile, and have finally decided to make the time to post a message on this board. I’ve also, had to admit to myself that this is where I really want to be. I have a BS in medical technology, a field I pursued ten years ago, with the intention of going to medical school. Once graduation came however, I decided to get married and had children and at that point medical school seemed impossible. I was also completely content being at home, raising my children. Once they got a little older I returned to my career, but I hated working in a lab. I really wanted to work with patients. So, over the past year, I took a paycut and began working as a medical assistant in an OB/GYN practice to see if women’s health is really the speciality of medicine I would like to pursue. Well, it was the best decision I could have made. I love this field. I researched the prospect of applying and attending medical school, but, at the age of 34, with a husband and three daughters ages 8, 6, and 2, it just didn’t seem practical. My practical alternative was to apply to a BSN program, which I started this past fall. I finished the semester with a 4.0, which I am extemely proud of. However, at the same time, I don’t feel like I’m challenging myself and I don’t mean any disrespect to anyone, by what I’m about to say, but, I feel like I’m settling on nursing. I intended to pursue a nurse practitioner degree, after working in OB, for a few years. By doing so, however, I’m afraid that at the end of that road, no matter how much else I accomplish, I still won’t be a doctor, which is what I think I really want. When I researched this avenue, the debt seemed insurmountable, the reimbursements are dwindling, residency seems impossible with three children – by the time I’d be finished my oldest will be ready to graduate high school – but, being aware of all that, this yearning to go to med school just won’t go away. Does anyone else know how I feel? Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I saw your above post on MomMD and was wondering whether you eventually went to Med school. I am also in the same situation.

Thanks
    momof3boys

blessed1blessed1
    Participant

This is so wonderful that I can now realize that I am not the only one in this dilemma. I am a mother of 3 wonderful boys (11,8,5). I am currently in a BSN program (in the middle), and I really feel deep down inside of me that I want to stop and pursue Medical School. My husband feels that I should continue nursing school first, and my siblings think that i am flighty in making big decisions. I want to forget about what they think and go for what is in my heart. I am 32 years old, and I was going to medical school after nursing school anyways. I do not want to waist anymore time. I would need two semesters to complete my prereqs, and then apply for medical school. Is there anyone that has done this already, and has been successful, and has not regretted making this transition. Please help, I need some advice. Also, I have found a couple mentors that are proud of me for pursuing my hearts desires, I have an ER DR and a Family Practice DR mentoring me. I would suggest to anyone of you to get a mentor.

Again, needs some advice.

:rolleyes:

Drme2bDrme2b
    Participant

Hey There! I’m new too 🙂 Well, sort-of new…been lurking for a while 😀
    Currently I am waiting to hear back from schools (acceptance hopefully!) so I can return to college in the fall to finish my bachelors degree and get the ball rolling for Med school one day.
    My only child is 19mos (she’s awesome!) and we live in MA with my fiancee and 2 dogs. Anyway, it’s great to be a part of this forum. It’s so exciting to read about all of us realizing our dreams!!
    :cloud9:
    Jacq

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.