Help!!!

Home Forums General Discussion Help!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    trinitystar78trinitystar78
    Participant

Hi,
    I am currently a third year pre-med student preparing to take the MCAT. I have wanted to be a doctor since I was three years old but after a summer work experience and a change of heart this semester I am suddenly re-evaluating my career choice. I have worked in the hospital for the past two summers in the emergency department and surgery and absolutely loved it. After this past summer in surgery though, I have realized that I don’t want the life that the doctors live day in and day out. I want to have a family and children someday and dont want to have to miss out on something because I am busy at the hospital or on call. I guess I have really realized that even though it has always been my dream to be a doctor, I believe I would be content to have another career in medicine (such as Pharmacy) and a family that I would have time for. Is this normal??? Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? I am planning on working in a pharmacy over Christmas Break and still have plenty of time to complete the requirement for Pharmacy school and take the PCAT if that is what I decide to do? I guess I just need reassurance that this is not unusual and it is ok to choose a small dream over a big dream. Thanks.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Experiences through working in the ER, surgery, etc is supposed to help you know that medicine is right for you. And you are having second thoughts. But you know, there are areas in medicine that can provide you family time, emergency medicine, dermatology, opthamology, anesthesiology, radiology………Why dont you follow one of these docs one day and see what you think?

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

It’s completely normal to have second thoughts! I would actually recommend that everyone have them at least once before pursuing medicine. Now you have a chnce to think about pharmacy, spend some time learning what pharmacy is really like. Maybe you’ll love it and decide to be a pharmacist! Maybe you’ll hate it and reaffirm your desire to be a doctor!

The life of a surgeon is not the life of an average doc. If you’re still interested in medicine, try spending a day with a family practice doc or a pediatrician. You’ll see that the life styles vary widely by specialty.

Good luck!
    Theresa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.