Help I am already behind in studying. Trying to play catch up.

Home Forums Premed Students Help I am already behind in studying. Trying to play catch up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zetanurseezetanursee
    Participant

Hello All :wave:

My question to you future doctors is how do you keep up in a semester when you feel that you have already fell behind. I started the semester well but in the middle during the first week of february I had to start my new job. As a result I had to miss a day of class not counting the day of class I missed when there was a hugh snowstorm. :scratchchin: I am trying to play catch up but there is so much information. What is the best thing to do? Should i read the chapter or just skim through it so that I can catch up. Should I just start on the chapter that we are curently doing in class. What should I do? Any suggestions? I am currently taking Physics II and Gen Chem second semester with labs in both. My week is as follows Sunday I am off, Monday and Wednesday I am in school 10 until 8pm. I will be starting nights soon so that will be either thursday, friday or saturday. Two out of the three. I volunteer one day a week and I still have to take care of six year old. If anyone has a schedule something like this please tell me how you do it.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

How you should go about study depends on how the material is given and what you are expected to learn, what is going to be tested on. Some profs go straight from the book,etc. I have a hectic life myself. I just finished a paper today due a week from now, because I have to devote the time remaining for chem II, and math….tests on Tues. and Wed..not to mention lab report and pre-lab due, and work, and kids. Ugggh. I usaully keep up with learning the material, maybe somewhat behind. I prioritize, and often have had to cram for tests. I think I have become a professional crammer. Im gonna have to cram this weekend. I can give it my all one evening up until early hours of the morning, past midnight the day before the test and usaully still do okay. I know this doesnt work for everybody.

zetanurseezetanursee
    Participant

I actually spoked to one of the classmates that had a professor last semester and they stated that her tests were mostly based on her lecture so do you think even though I have her lecture notes that I should also read over the chapters or mainly focus on her notes. I am also a last minute studier but I thought that I had to break out of that habit if I wanted A’s.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I would focus on the lecture notes in that case, anything you are having trouble understanding/ or concepts not coming easy Id refer to the book to make the correlations. If you have time once you have got the lecture stuff down pat, I would skim through the book. Hope it works for you, let me know!

DuckDuck
    Participant

I had an instructor who advised us to go to the website listed in our textbook(should be in the front). Sometimes these websites have practice tests/quizzes/diagrams to help with concepts. Also, the web in general is a huge help.

Duck

efex101efex101
    Participant

“I am also a last minute studier but I thought that I had to break out of that habit if I wanted A’s” as you stated you do need to break out of this mode and fast for these two classes. Physics and chemistry are not classes to study at the last minute and ace them, biology maybe. I see your schedule and it is very doable *but* you need to prioritize and get rolling fast or you are going to be digging yourself in. Make a list of what needs to be done each day, this may help you. If you see yourself procrastinating (like watching tv, starting to clean to avoid books) then stop ASAP and go back to your list to do things. This path is nothing but hard work and diligence I do not think that you have to be super smart or anything like that to achieve your goal but you do have to work extremely hard to get there and it does not get easier but only harder. Soooo, catch up is my advice first. How can you understand what is coming up if you do not know what lead to that? set aside a whole Sunday, get up early like at 6:00 and start plugging away doing problems, reading the chapter until you *understand* it. It may take more than once, then and only then move to the next chapter. You may have to lose some snooze time and I do not know if you need X or Y hours of sleep but until you catch up you just may need to modify your sleep schedule just a tiny bit. Good luck.

zetanurseezetanursee
    Participant

Efex you are the best. You tell it like it is. Thank you for the help. I really needed that wake up call. Well I am going to sign off so that I can continue studying.

efex101efex101
    Participant

Yeah leave it to me to not sugarcoat anything 😉 he he, but I KNOW that you will be fine and hey someday we will be colleagues.

RitaHayworthRitaHayworth
    Participant

I have to tell you that I read some of these responses and I feel like a complete idiot. I am taking introduction to chemistry, beginning algebra, zoology and microbiology. Most of these are introductory courses, and yet I’m still so confused. I think I scored a B or C on my zoology test today and am not sure I’m capable of scoring much higher in science and math, and agree that the work will only get harder.

Unlike the original post stating she needs to catch up, I study every day from 1-4 hours. I’m always doing homework or studying or reading material. I study for tests at least 3-7 days in advance and, while I don’t do all the reading for some classes (totally impossible), I do not feel like I am cramming for tests. I wonder on a daily basis if this is what I should be doing.

As I’m a former English major, I had almost no science and math, and struggle with these immensely. I am very ambitious, but have assumed that a straight A average in these prequisites for medical school is going to be impossible for me. I am not a dummy, but sometimes I feel like it. I read about someone getting an A+ on an O chem test and feel like its an impossibility. Did I mention I also have tutors for both math and chemistry. I feel lost and overwhelmed and somewhat hopeless. Sorry this is kind off topic.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Rita,
    We are here to help. I do study, but I will have to admitt, I must absorb the whole material all over from beginning to end the day before the test to get everything. Like putting it all together or something. It works well for me. I remember a lot, and the heat is on the day before the test. That is when, I think, I am most serious. Though, I dont think there’s ever a time when Im not serious about school work.

When I am studying, I look for the questions that maybe on the test, based upon previous tests. Like the question type. For math, you just have to practice, practice, practice until you know exactly what to do when you see a problem, and if while solving the problem forget how to do a step, practice that step over and over.

I hope this helps.

RitaHayworthRitaHayworth
    Participant

Thank you. What I lack in natural ability, I make up for in tenacity and fortitude. I hope this is enough.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

It looks as if you are well on your way then! I think you just may have to figure out what works for you. Believe in yourself and dont give up. :yes:

efex101efex101
    Participant

Well coming from a non-science background and taking all those courses is like me trying to do a whole bunch of introductory courses in literature to say the least it will be very hard. Science is like learning a whole new language in many ways, the course that you are taking although “introductory” are very HEAVY on terminology and it will take tons of hours to master even for science majors. I would have taken it easier my first semester and maybe taken three of the courses and then if I aced them, then I would consider taking more. I am now in Zoology and I tell you it is no joke! I spend at least a minimum of 6 six hours per day M-F studyign for all my classes and if I have an exam the weekend is shot as well. Right now I am pulling an all-nighter for a MKT exam tomorrow of OMG 8 chapters that he never covered ouch! this is our first exam and although I studies all weekend I still have a ton to go over. Soooo the moral of the story is you might have bitten off more than you can chew but hey we all do that every now and then…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.