Help! need advice on next step toward med school.

Home Forums Premed Students Help! need advice on next step toward med school.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    edpowelledpowell
    Participant

Hi,
    I am a 26yr old mother of 2 boys (4,11mo). I am currently a stay-at-home mom. I have a B.S. However, I do not have my pre-med pre-reqs nor what I would consider enough hospital volunteer experience. Should I become an EMT or CNA so that I can gain more experience? Should I apply for a Masters program in Public Health or something related? I am really undecided on what my next step should be. I want to take a route that will most likely get me into medical school. Please let me know what you think 🙂

efex101efex101
    Participant

Your first step is to sign up to take your pre-requs for medical school. One year each to equal 8 semester hours of general chemistry for majors with labs, one year of general biology for majors with lab, one year of organic chemistry with lab, one year of physics trig based with lab (these are the pre-reqs for most med schools). Some schools will require one year of english, and one year of calculus, and/or biochemistry. You need to check with schools that you are looking into applying to make sure. You do need clinical exposure so you can say that yes, you do know what your are getting into kind of..I truly think it is hard to really know what we are getting into until we are actually practicing but. I would suggest just simply volunteering once a week in your local hospital, no you probably will not get much hands on but you will see the interactions of the different health care providers and get some idea of what practicing medicine may be like. Get involved with some sour of meaningful activity that is not medicine related that you have a passion for, medical schools are looking for people that give back to their community, that are committed to society. Good luck, oh and start off easy do not try to get done in one year like some folks do. You want to present yourself in the best possible light meaning A’s and a few B’s is okay, but anything less (it will not kill you) is not the most conducive to getting accepted. So take it one step at a time and kick bootie! Good luck!

laceleighlaceleigh
    Participant

FIRST DECIDE WHICH SCHOOLS YOU WANT TO APPLY TO.
    THEN CHECK THEIR PRE-REQ’S, AND START ON THEM.
    A LOT OF HOSPITALS HAVE VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS, SOME ONLY REQUIRE 4 HRS. A WEEK.
    THIS EXPOSURE WILL BE GOOD FOR YOU IN MANY WAYS INCLUDING IF YOUR SCHOOL WANTS LETTERS OF RECCOMENDATION FROM PROFESSORS OR CO-WORKERS (PHYSICIANS).
    IF THE SCHOOL HAS A HEALTH OR PRE-MED. CLUB MAYBE CONSIDER THIS TOO.
    MY PRE-MED CLUB DOES A LOT OF VOLUNTEER WORK IN THE COMMUNITY AND STUFF LIKE THAT.
    AS FAR AS CNA/EMT…. IF YOU DO NOT SEE YOURSELF HAVING GOOD VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES THIS IS AN OPTION. I THINK CNA PROGRAMS ARE USUALLY A FEW WEEKS AND THE EXTRA CASH IS NICE.
    BUT YOU MUST REMEMBER ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU. THE GOOD LORD WILL SEE YOU THROUGH!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.