Hi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    M -AM-A
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am 28 years old and work in Broadcast Television. I’ve been thinking about applying to med school on and off all my life and have decided that it is my true calling and to go for it. I have some obstacles to overcome first: I have a fine arts education so I have to take some pre med courses, and I’m having some financial problems which is preventing me from doing this right now.

I wanted to say that this is an amazing site! I haven’t found any other forum/site like this. It’s very helpful and inspiring, it’s great to hear all your stories! :wave:

JumpuJumpu
    Participant

Hi,

nice to see a fellow Torontonian here! I was born and raised in Toronto, although I have been living here in the US for about 5 years now. Incidentally which broadcast channel do you work for (you can PM if you like). I noticed you had a question regarding financial aid. I really don’t know how it works there, but I think the financial aid office of any school would be more than helpful! Good luck!

brookelackeybrookelackey
    Participant

Hey! I’m 25 and quit my job in music publishing to pursue my dream also. I know how hard it is. You expect a big decision like that to get a lot of respect, but it won’t. Most people are jealous that you are actually following your dreams and they won’t be supportive at all. I found out that my mother-in-law makes fun of me wither her Church friends! Imagine that! Oh well, it just makes me stronger and more determined. Anyways, I’m currently doing my post-bacc premed work b/c I had a lot of catching up to do also. Get your finances in order and do it! It’s never too late to go after your dreams.

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

All med schools are more than happy to loan you plenty of money- more than you need- so you can pay it back two or three fold when you are an attending

M -AM-A
    Participant

It’s good to hear that there are others that have made such a drastic career move. I get a lot of shocked reactions when I tell people what I want to do. They usually say “I thought you were an artistic person, not a science person”. It’s funny because I see the medical profession as a creative profession!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.