Hi everyone

Home Forums Introductions & Connections Hi everyone

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LaurieLaurie
    Participant

Hello there all you gals! I am a 33 year old mother of one little girl who is 5 years old. I have finished my first year of medical school, then took this year off due to some medical problems my little girl was having, stress on our marriage, etc. I am planning to head back to school in August to do my second year,but am nervous to go back! I would appreciate any encouragement/thoughts that anyone has about how to make it through med. school with sanity and family intact. Thanks! 😉

womansurgeonwomansurgeon
    Participant

Laurie,

Hi. I’m a 5th year surgery resident now. I took a one year leave of absence after my first year to take care of my dad, who was dying of cancer back in our home town. My program – unfortunately – was not very supportive, and at the time I left would offer no guarantee of a position in the 2nd year class on my return. Needless to say, it was a very stressful time for me. Medical school had been my lifelong dream. The path there had been very long and difficult, and I had no alternative plan. I used to joke that I would either become a doctor or I would be a waitress for the rest of my life.

The summer before my return, I bought a bunch of board review books and forced myself to go through a certain number of chapters or pages every day. I was very pleased and surprised to find how quickly the pattern of learning and my natural interest returned. Also, it was great preparation for the test itself and for the clinical coursework during 2nd year. I actually felt a little bit up on the other students when classes resumed in the fall.

My dad passed away 2 weeks before the start of my second year. I’m so thankful when I look back on that time spent with him, and have never regreted my decision. My return to classes was seamless, and any comments made during residency interviews were always supportive.

Unfortunately, stresses related to parenthood and marital issues do intensify during residency (as compared to medical school). No easy answers there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.