How do you define success?

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk How do you define success?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

I’m interested to hear how others define success. How do you define success? Have you achieved it, will you??

Sethina 😉

amykamyk
    Participant

Being as alive alive-o as it’s possible for me to be. Wandering around, coming to know more about what it is to be human – kind of rubbing up against it, bathing in it, exploring it. I think Shel Silverstein said it best:

My hair grows down to my toes
    I never wears no clothes.
    I wraps my hair
    Around my bare
    And down the road I goes.

Successful? Fairly. It helps to remember to throw crap out.

amy

EM momEM mom
    Participant

This is funny because in the middle of my midlife career crisis I have given this a lot of thought. I think previous to having my daughter my defination of sucess was my career (my identity was 100% wrapped up in my career as a physician/surgeon in training). However, when my daughter came along, all of the sudden my defination of success totally changed and I realized that I could be happy and successful no matter what my career (hence developing the balls to change residencies). I think Amyk says it best when quoting Shel Silverstein’s poem. There is SO much more (or less depending on how you look at it) to success than I originally thought! And what a liberating revelation!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

I’m interested in your answers, I’m thinking about it too. I know several ‘successful’ people and feel that often success is measured in money – sadly. They are talented and from that talent derives financial success. Interestingly one of them is totally depressed and on a never ending rollercoaster trying to maintain this success – at all costs including his health.

ANyone else want to add?

Sethina

EM momEM mom
    Participant

I used to think it was money too, but really when I think about the single mother who slaves to put her child through school and college, and the child accomplishes something really great, or just contributes in some way to society doesn’t even have to be something really great …well that single mother never had any money but I would say that she was damn successful…and this is just one example! I really do think that is necessary to redefine our (the nation’s) defination of success.

amykamyk
    Participant

I think there’s a telling difference in the phrases “make a success” and “be successful”. Making a success is a one-off thing, which IMO is a good way to look at it, since success is very rare. Even good failures are rare. Being successful, otoh, seems to imply you have nothing but wins. Which is silly; nobody attains that, not even Superman, who — if he were a ball game — would have people yelling “Fix!”

I don’t think it’s smart to attach the word success to your sense of self. You is what you is, and how could you be any different? Sometimes, if you’re lucky and work very very well, you make a success. But don’t worry, it won’t last. 😉 If you’re an abject failure at whatever you’re doing and you’re hurting people left and right and hurting your children and spouse, OK, maybe it’s time to look at doing something else. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter. You come, you go, no one notices, and this gives you tremendous liberty.

I’m serious, you guys, Eastern European fiction, it has good lessons for Americans.

amy

DuckDuck
    Participant

I really like this question 🙂 As I grow wiser…I now define success by the level of my passion for the endeavor.

LaramisaLaramisa
    Participant

Contributing something useful to society and your family. And at least doing as little harm as possible to others.

psychpsych
    Participant

Providing hope and encouragement — to my family and my patients. Not giving up.

EM momEM mom
    Participant

I just found this written in a book/journal that I had from med school and I thought it pretty much sums it up…

(Author unknown)
    “Success is not something that can be measured or worn on a patch or hung on the wall. It is not the esteem of colleagues, or the admiration of the community, or the appreciation of patients.
    Success is the certain knowledge that you have become yourself, the person that you were meant to be all along. That shoud be reward enough.”

DrWuStar *DrWuStar*
    Participant

thank you momsurg. i think that quote is exactly right on. i only wish i could be that eloquent. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.