How do you really know??

Home Forums Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor How do you really know??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kalkal
    Participant

Hi All,

This is my first post – exciting!

I hear my story in a lot of others. I’d love to put mine out there and get some input from peopel who really know. I am 29, I was a teacher for 4 years, then I went to grad school for education, now I work for an autism research program. Medicine has been on my mind for at least 4 years, now, and I really thought it was my “calling” for a long time. The problem is that I took a Calculus class this past summer – of course, I didn’t take science classes as an undergrad, so I have a lot to make up – and it was horrible. I hated it, I didn’t do very well, and I thought I could never take two full years of pre-reqs like that. I made up my mind to leave the post-baccalaureate program I had entered, and I’ve been researching clinical psychology programs instead.

I am still not fulfilled by thoughts of other careers, though. For some reason, this keeps coming back – am I just nostalgic for an idea that sounded so good? I’ve heard a lot from med students about the prereqs – you just have to get through them to get to the good stuff. Is that true? I’m wondering if I should give it another chance. Is there any way to truly “know” if medicine is for you?

I should add that I am not a mom right now, but I am planning to have a family, so the issues are on my mind as I think about the near future. Any input or suggestions folks have would be great!

laleelalee
    Participant

Were you in an official post bacc premed course? I’ve heard that they can be pretty grueling, but do prepare you well for the “real thing”. I took all my pre reqs post bacc, but not an “official” program…I just registered for the classes I needed. Not all schools require calc, so don’t let that frighten you off!! :yes:
    Good luck!

kalkal
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement. I was part of an official program, then I withdrew b/c my Calculus course. I think that to do this again, though, I will need to rejoin a program and go full time. It will take less time and maybe help me focus more on the classes…. I’m not sure yet.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Kal,
    Just wanted to say that I’ll be applying to med school without calculus. Many schools don’t require it, so I feel like why should I take it when Im not taking calculus based physics that engineers take? I hate math too, I think too logically for it. So why should I jeopardize my GPA by taking it? And who knows, maybe I would do well. I dont want to find out. As far as I know, you won’t be using it in med school. In addition to this, when I started back, I wasn’t approved for any grants, so why take classes that I dont need.
    —Dana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.