how many schools did you apply? 1, 5, 10, or 50….

Home Forums Premed Students how many schools did you apply? 1, 5, 10, or 50….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

I was talking to an applicant (male with kids) who said he has applied to over 50 medical schools. I was surprised! He’s a great applicant and has already had about 10 interviews and two acceptances. He has travelled all over the US for these interviews. I asked him how he could afford it – he said he has saved up for a long time and set aside thousands for this process.

My question is, how many schools have you applied to? What reason did you pick that number of schools? How much do you think the application process has cost you?

Sethina

efex101efex101
    Participant

I will be applying to 20 schools and have been saving up for it. I am applying to so many because this process is so competitive that I do not want to later lament that I could have applied to more and possibly gotten it, etc. I am also applying to schools that I have thoroughly researched and know that I would be happy at, due to location, curriculum, diversity of the classes, etc. So any of those schools would suit me perfect, but of course there is one that I would prefer from all the rest. Regardless, I know many folks that apply to 10 and do extremely well.

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

I only applied to three schools. I wouldn’t recommend doing that, but it was imperative that I stay in the Houston area. Luckily, I got in off the waitlist at one of them.

Because everything was local, it didn’t cost me much. I spent about $250 on applications, $50 on a hotel one night, and $20 in parking. Oh, and my suit cost $160. 🙂

If I were able to be more flexible, I probably would have applied to all of my in-state schools plus a couple more. I think 10-20 is a good range (unless you’re in California, of course).

Pam

UCLABruinUCLABruin
    Participant

I plan on planning to 20-25. I am applying to all the CA schools. I REALLY want to stay in CA. I will also apply to some in Michigan. I don’t know where else…

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

I applied to 8 and should have applied to 3 given the fact that my hsuband does not wnat to move. If i have to reapply next year i will only apply to the 3 in state schools.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I put all of my eggs in one basket. Of course, not recommended, but there are only 2 med schools in my state and I was only interested in one of them anyways. My stats were over their averages, so I felt reasonably safe, but I knew that I was playing a risky game. :boggled:

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

I may be foolish, but I’ll probably apply to about 6-7. I’m trying to stick with schools where my husband has better chance of finding work and where I have family within a few hours drive. I don’t want to be too isolated with our 3 kids or risk having an unemployed hubby!

We’ll see if I panic this summer and increase the number!
    Theresa

lorilori
    Participant

I guess I was also one of the risk takers. I applied to only 3 schools and was fortunate enough to get accepted to my school of choice! Absolutely wouldn’t recommend this. Really wanted to stay in close proximity (2-3 hour drive) to my hometown in PA for my son’s sake (so he can come back and visit whenever he wants). From what I hear, most should apply to 10 schools. Good luck everyone!

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

I only applied to the 6 in state schools. I was planing to apply to several others out of state but didn’t see the since in it given the expenses. It would have cost much more just to aply and then of course the out-of-state tuition rates. Also, most schools except such a small percent from out of state anyway that figured my chances were much better of being accepted here. If I can’t be accepted in state, then odds are not very good that I will be accepted out of state either. Soooo, I decided to keep my expenses as low as possible and only go with 6. I interviewed at 4 of them and am now waiting for February 1st.

AnotherJenAnotherJen
    Participant

I applied to 17 schools with AMCAS, but by the time deadlines passed, I applied to 12. I have just one in-state option, but I’ve interviewed there and it went well, and my fingers are crossed!

I think a lot of younger applicants apply to a lot of schools, but I don’t think this is necessary… Yes, I’d love to go next year, but I’ve waited this long, another year won’t kill me.

I think the most important part is to have a solid understanding of how you look on paper and where you stand a competative chance of getting in. That being said, if you are a strong candidate, I’ve heard that it is good to apply geographically broadly so that the schools think that you are being very competative…but I don’t know if the admissions people are really that devious…

Good luck to everyone in the process, and ask as many questions as possible if you are preparing for the exhausting (and expensive) application year!

–Jen

Andrea JanAndrea Jan
    Participant

😎 I’m almost finished with med school, but I thought I’d throw my two cents in. I applied to THREE med schools, that’s all. I got accepted at two of them. Here’s the best part of the story- I did NOT consider myself a competitive candidate. My GPA was good but not great, and my MCAT score was about the lowest you could get and still be asked for an interview. Granted, the schools that I applied to were not Johns Hopkins or Harvard, but they were very good schools nonetheless.

I think it’s pointless to go overboard desperately applying to a huge list of schools. If you have high goals, pick a few top-notch schools and a few “medium-notch” schools, that’s it. Definitely no more than 10 total. And ALL of them should be schools that you truly would be glad to attend.

You have to meet certain numeric requirements (GPA, MCAT) set by the school to get an interview there. After that, in most cases, acceptance at the school is largely determined by your interview.

So I think the key to getting into med school is in developing yourself into a great interviewee. How? Find a list of the questions you are likely to be asked at a med school interview, and practice answering those questions out loud. As you answer the questions, you want to remain relaxed, person-able, and positive. When the interview is over, you want the interviewer to feel that they have just had a good conversation with an interesting and like-able person. (NOT a cold-blooded, grades-are-my-life perfectionist!) So take your time answering the questions, pause to think if you need to, and let the interviewer talk a bit about himself or herself if the occasion arises.

Hope this is good advice for all of you who are or will be applying to medical school!

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

I only applied to one, because there’s only 1 medical school in Arkansas. I’m so thankful to have gotten in, because I LOVE medical school. I would not have asked my family to move for it, though. It’s enough of a sacrifice they make just dealing with me going through school….the time commitment, loss of income and all that. But in the long run it will pay off for us all, I believe.

Peace~
    Lindsey

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.