how much science is enough?

Home Forums Premed Students how much science is enough?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tammytammy
    Participant

I have a bachelors degree in a non-science major. I chose to major in gerontology because my goal is to someday specialize in geriatric medicine. Anyways, I am now catching up on science classes. I know the core courses that are required..year of Bio, chem, organic chem, physicss, etc. I am wondering from anyone who has already taken the MCAT if that is enough science to help me do well? I am already studying with a MCAT study guide. I have taken gen bio, A&P 1 and 2, and genetics and so far, that’s it. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

lorilori
    Participant

Hi Tammy! If you ave the chance, the only other two courses that would be grately beneficial would be Anatomy/Physio and Biochem. If you have the opportunity to take them, it can only benefit you. If you only have time for one, I would HIGHLY recommend Biochem. We all know how difficult orgo can be. By taking the Biochem, you will have an “edge” on the MCAT. Best of luck to you!

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

tammy,

All you really need are the core prereqs. It should be enough for the MCAT, although I agree that biochem and A&P will help (you already took A&P, right?). I took the MCAT w/o Biochem and got a 13 in BS – but I was praying that there wouldn’t be any questions about sugars!

You’ll definitely want to have Physics I&II, Gen chem I&II, and Organic I under your belt before you take the test. Probably good to have Organic II also, but it seemed to me that most of the organic stuff I needed to know was from first semester. I took gen chem so long ago that I can’t remember what I learned in which semester. I had to relearn it all from the review course.

Hope this helps!

Pam

P.S. I have heard that a few med schools do require biochem, but don’t think there are very many that do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.