How to stay organized?

Home Forums Premed Students How to stay organized?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    premdWIpremdWI
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m new to the website. It was blessing to find such a website. I was beginning to wonder if there are others like me. I am a single mother of 3 wonderful children, ages: 3, 8, 12. I just returned to school over the summer.I started off with Nursing being my major. However, after realizing that I was just settling for a job my ex had suggested for me, I decided to finally give into my true desire to be a MD. Currently, i’m holding a 3.73 GPA. :cloud9: Spring 04 I’m actually, going for 17 credits. I know I can do the work, but I am not the most organiized person. How do I balance it all and not neglect my children in the process? My children go to school fulltime and my youngest is goes to day-care on campus. They want me to continue my education and i want to also. I believe this is the best time for me. I have put this off for the last five years and I don’t want quit now. What shall I do :confused:

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Good thing for you is that for the most part, your older ones are self sufficient. I have 6 kids (14, almost 13, 11,10, 4, 3.) The first 3 are my step children, but Ive been raising them for a long time, Im the only mother figure they have, for the majority of their lives, ever known. I dont doubt that you can pull off taking 17 credits and do well, but do you have to? The most I have ever taken is 14 credits, I do work too, but I only worked like once/max of twice a week then, and that was enough! I cant say Im really organized because my books and papers are scattered here and there but I know just where everything is! :p As far as time management….when I get home from school in the late afternoon, I cook dinner, we all eat, I help with homework, and spend the rest of the evening sitting around being there for my kids. At night, I study, study, study! I dont always go with the appropriate amount of sleep, but I function. My sacrifices mainly in pursuit of my dream are money, housework, and sleep. Sure there are nights when I have a test the next day, so the kids will have to do their own thing, and daddy will help out, as do the older kids too. But it is not too bad. I sacrifice the things I feel that are less important (except the money thing, I couldnt seem to get around that!)and spend the time with the kids. The most challenging for me is scheduling appointments, and actually making them! It is like I have no time for anything extra.
    Another thing that is hard for me is the fact that my kids dont like to go to the sitters. I wished they liked it. I do have a daycare at the school, but my 3 year old still isnt potty trained. I think they would have more fun there, my daughter did. Now Im beginning to wonder if they would function better in a day care type setting as opposed to a home type enviro. Im kind of reluctant because my 3yo was diagnosed with AD/HD—and he can be VERY hard to deal with. I scheduled my classes in the past to make sure they were only at the sitters for a max of 4 hours just in case things were getting hairy, and it made me feel less guilt. Hmmm.
    Okay, now Im rambling! Ohh, awesome GPA, you keep on keeping on!
    —Dana

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

Thanks premdWI for asking this question because I have the same question myself.

I’m kind of embarrassed to reveal this but I’ve always considered myself to be an unorganized person. :boggled: I don’t know how they do it all, but I sure would like to know! I’ve tried to organize my life in the past but never was successful at it. For me this is something that will make or brake my premed/medschool pursuit. Is is just a mental block? :banghead: The burning question is: Are organization skills something you are born with or something I can learn????!!!!

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

DO Hopeful,
    I would definately have to say, it can be learned. I feel like for me, I put myself in “survival mode”. I take one day at a time. When prioritizing somethings have to be put on the back burner, even if they are as much important. There have been plenty of occassions I have had to put off a chemistry test until the last night I could really study, in exchange for being able to study for a cell bio exam which was scheduled the day prior with everything else going on with kids etc. I knew I would have to give my all to that one night of studying for chemistry…and I did. It works out good for me. Not always can you be up to date on everything at any given point in time. Life just doesnt work like that. I have crammed for exams a lot, and thankfully, I do just fine. While taking one day at a time, one still has to look ahead to a certain degree, I know that if I have a test on Monday and it is now Friday, and I have a test on Wednes. I will study for both Sat., study hard Sun for Monday. Study Mon/Tues for the Wed. exam. Hope that wasnt too confusing! At first juggling everything will seem overwhelming, but you will adapt. I have never gotten to the point (if there is one) where I have not felt being pulled in every direction…..but I am able to deal with it. Anyway, hope this helps.

wannaBmdwannaBmd
    Participant

I find a good PDA helps me out! Helps me to prioritize and to know where I need to be and when. Also helps me to organize my assignments and exams. Really a lifesaver!

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

My husband got me a basic palm pilot for Christmas. It has a calendar and to-do list and address book . . . stuff like that to hopefully keep me organized. I don’t need all the bells and whistles (games, color screen, etc). I don’t know, we’ll see if it works for me. 😉

This semester I’ll be taking one class starting next week 😮 , so hopefully I should be able to figure out how scheduling things will go. Then during the summer I will take 1 or 2 more classes and so on until I get my prereqs done. If I can eventually organize myself and go full time, that’s what I’d like to do ideally. We’ll see.

PremedRN, I know you have your hands full! If you can do it, I know I certainly can 😀 Or at least aspire to do as well as you do!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.