I am so amazed by all the babies

Home Forums General Discussion I am so amazed by all the babies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NatalieNatalie
    Participant

I can’t believe so many of you are pregnant or have been pregnant in med school and residencies! How on earth do you do it? My question is this: if for some awful reason you should end up on bedrest, what would happen to med school or your residency? Do they work with you on something like that?
    I ask because I would *love* to try it, but there is a good chance I would end up in bed. I don’t want to mess up my career at that point…my family needs me not to do that!
    Just really curious…
    Natalie

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

I was put on “modified” bed rest on Feb 1 when I was pregnant and my daughter was due Feb 27th. I was a second year IM resident. My OB said I had to lie on my left side for two hours in the morning, three hours in the afternoon and get ten hours of sleep a night. I think he pulled this out of his a**, but I did what he said. On Feb 12 (my birthday) I went in for another check up and said “We have to get this over with, I can’t spend my whole maternity leave before the baby is born!” so my birthday gift was an appointment with the admitting desk for 0600 the next morning. It’s not really PC to induce for non-medical reasons but I appreciate that he did it anyway. I got five weeks after she was born then went back forty hours a week with no call for five weeks then on to wards (80 hours a week with q 3 night call). It can be done. Then made up the non-vacation portion of my leave at the end of my residency, which was four weeks, so I finished four weeks later but I still sat for boards on time.

Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans. Don’t miss it.

NatalieNatalie
    Participant

Thanks GracieThree! I didn’t know how they worked residencies exactly. I didn’t know there was vacation or maternity leave. Just out of curiousity, are you able to get medical insurance, too? Is it kind if like any other job in those regards? Pardon my ignorance…

Does anyone know about medical school? Is there such a thing as taking time away if you absolutely have to?

Natalie

bzmom4bzmom4
    Participant

Hi Natalie!
    I’m not sure about med schools but check out http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/1,2667,,00.html
    This is the FREIDA Online Search for residencies. Most of the programs have information about how much maternity leave, family leave, whether they pay for insurance, etc.
    Hope it helps! 😀

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

I became pregnant with my second child during Christmas break of my first year of med school. The pregnancy became complicated and I was placed on “modified” bedrest from my 13th week on. After struggling for a month to study from home, while taking care of a 4 yr old and having a surgical resident for a husband (read: not around), I finally decided to take a medical leave of absence. I took incompletes in the remaining 2nd semester classes and returned back to school the following January, when my son was 4 months old. I had to suggest the solution – the med school would have liked for me to do the whole first year over again – but they were fairly supportive and didn’t give me a hard time to get the medical leave.

Linda

P.S. It was a good thing I took the leaver – the pregnancy continued to be a difficult one and I had to be induced at 35-6/7 weeks due to placental insufficency/IUGR. Thank God, I have a healthy and happy 4 yr old now!

NatalieNatalie
    Participant

Thanks! I really did not know how those things worked and no one around me really knows about these things either.

I guess then it would not be the end of the world if we decided to try to have another baby and things got complicated.

Linda–I am really glad you have a healthy 4-yr-old now, too. I feel extraordinarily blessed to have my nearly 17-mo-old, my previa-abruption-PROM baby.

Man, do I want to try…

Natalie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.