I will be doing the MMEP Program this summer.

Home Forums Premed Students I will be doing the MMEP Program this summer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Future Mom MDFuture Mom MD
    Participant

In a way, I am happy, but then again I am not.

My husband and I discussed the program before I applied and realized that I would be out of town for six weeks.

However, it has dawned on me that I will be leaving the kids alone with him for six weeks. Imagine how my house will look when I return home. :goodvibes:

Sheretta

snoopysnoopy
    Participant

Hi Sheretta,

It is so nice to see someone from TN on here! :wave: Actually I came this past year from WA state but here I am. Good-luck on your applications you have out this year, I will be taking the MCAT in April 2003. :goodvibes: I am a little freaked out by it. :yikes: I wanted to ask you what the MMEP Program is that you are taking this summer? Also, are you in Nashville and why didn’t you apply to the med. school in Johnson City? 🙂 I know that is a lot of questions but hope to hear from you soon. TT

Future Mom MDFuture Mom MD
    Participant

I am happy to answer your questions.

I am presently in Memphis, TN. I was born and raised here.

I am only in my soph. year so I am not yet ready to apply to med school, but I am getting ready to gear up to take the MCAT next year.

The MMEP program is a summer program geared towards minorities, but I heard that anyone could apply. There are different aspects of the program depending on which site you apply to. I really applied to get more research and shawdowing experience. I also applied to Vandy.

I am not sure if I left something out, but anyhoo you can email me personally if you want to at sanderson@utmem.edu.

Sheretta :wave:

efex101efex101
    Participant

Hello, I am also in TN very close to Nashville in Clarksville. The MMEP will be a great asset for you, once you get that under your belt you may want to check out other research programs for minorites. I have done two summer researchs thus far and will be going back to Mayo this summer for my third! My first summer was at Vanderbilt/Meharry and I loved it, the faculty was outstanding and I had a great experience. The second one was at the Mayo Clinic and it was awesome, so much that I am going back for some more 🙂 Let me know when you are coming to Nashville and maybe we can get together for lunch or something. Good luck!

snoopysnoopy
    Participant

Thank you so much Efex101 and Sheretta! 🙂

That opens up my eyes really wide. I had no idea there were these opportunities out there during the summer. One more question, are these paid experiences and how long are they?

Thanks for all your help! TT
    Re: Lunch Efex, will email you privately shortly.

efex101efex101
    Participant

Of course they pay! You get anywhere from $ 3,000-4,000 depending on where you apply. I am pretty sure that all the top-tier schools have these in place for I have applied to a lot of them, and then other middle-tier schools also have them. Vanderbilt, Yale, U of Penn, Temple, Harvard, Mayo, U of Iowa, MCW, and the list goes on and on. If you are interested in a particular medical school, go to their web page and do a search for summer undergraduate research fellowship and you should get some hits. Or you can do a search on google.com. If you enjoy research it is a great way to network with different medical schools. It is not hard to get into these programs as long as you are willing to go out of state. It is best to apply to at least five and that should guarantee at least one acceptance. So far I have done two, and will be going on my third this summer. Also, you might get published if you go to a good lab. I was very fortunate to get published due to my work at a lab. I will try to compile some web pages one of these days and post them.

hijahija
    Participant

I did MMEP two summers ago and I loved it. I did the MMEP program in Chicago and it really helped me decide to become a doctor. The best part was the clinical rotations, some people had great experiances while others not so good. During the program it was the first time I go to see surgery and I handled it ok. I loved the program every one was really nice and the 6 weeks go buy really fast. We also had alot of mcat prep time so that was helpful. Hope you have fun. 😉

efex101efex101
    Participant

What medical school are you attending hija?

hijahija
    Participant

EFEX

I’m not a medical student yet, I’m appying right now. I have applied to about 20 schools because my fiancee and I wanted to get in to the same school. I’m happy to say that I’ve been accepted at four schools so far, two with him.
    🙂

But anyways, I have to say that MMEP was a great asset to my application. If you have any time, ask any physicians if you can shadow them. This is what I did, and I had a great experience at the Emergency room in Cook County Hospital.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.