I’m an older med school hopeful …

Home Forums Introductions & Connections I’m an older med school hopeful …

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    NickiNicki
    Participant

I’m now 34, married, and a professional musician. I have a pre-med degree from 13 years ago and am currently studying for the MCAT. I just received my 13 year old transcript in the mail and realized that my science course grades are not stellar. I did a double degree in music at the same time as I did my bio degree. While there are some As and A- in there, there are a couple of C’s and many Bs. All together with my music degree, I managed a total GPA of 3.5. Do Med schools only look at science GPA?? Or should I plan on repeating some courses? Anybody’s input welcome!!! Thanks!
    Nicki

MaryBBMaryBB
    Participant

Nikki,

Hi! A 3.5 is respectable, yet the adcoms will take a closer look at those science grades.

However, there’s a different problem here: many of the schools have time limits of how old the pre-meds can be. Usually it’s 5, 7 or 10 years. It’s arbitrary and varies among schools, so call the admissions depts. of the schools that you’re interested in attending and ask them. You might need to retake the bio, chem, o-chem and physics to show “fresh” science grades. Good luck! — Mary

NickiNicki
    Participant

Thank you so much for your reply, Mary! I am aware that some schools do have limits on coursework, but the majority only seem to have a limit on the MCAT, not the premed courses. I will definitely double check though.

(I’ve just calculated my GPA of science courses only and it wasn’t as bad as I thought – 3.2.)

Here’s the thing. I am now 34 and don’t plan to start med school until I’m 37 for logistical reasons. I currently live overseas and can’t take courses right now, so I’m studying for the MCAT. Next year I will be living in the US and plan to retake my physics courses b/c I neglected to take labs with them as an undergrad. I would really like to repeat my organic as well, but I just don’t see how I’ll have the time as I’ll be working fulltime. I could consider putting off med school for one more year, but as it is I feel very old starting at 37! :boggled: Is it worthwhile to put off applying one more year if it means I can get my Org grades up from B- and C? Or could a very good score on the MCAT offset these blemishes?

I know these are a lot of questions, and I appreciate very much any answers you can give me. Thank you!

Nicki

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

Don’t be afraid of delaying if you need to…the age thing is no big deal. Our oldest student at our medical school is 43 and they have had much older (50’s) students in the past. The important thing is that you are pursuing your dream!

Yours,
    Elise 😀

NickiNicki
    Participant

Thank you Elise! 🙂 I know I’m not the only person doing this at this stage of their life but it definitely helps to be reminded from time to time.

Nicki

SisleySisley
    Participant

Go for it Nicki! Consider this: in 3 years you’ll be 37 no matter what. Would you rather be entering medical school or be stuck in a job you don’t like for 25 years? Or the Rocking Chair Test: When you’re 90 years old, rocking in your rocking chair, will you always regret not going to medical school or will you not care?

It’s always nice to hear from another 30+ sister gunning for medical school!

NickiNicki
    Participant

Hi Sisley!

Thanks for the encouragement! You’re absolutely right. I’d truly love to hear your story. What stage are you at? Have you got kids? 🙂

Nicki

SisleySisley
    Participant

Hey Nicki! Well, I’m 31. I never dreamed of being anything other than a doctor. Unfortunately my study habits took a nose dive when I hit high school and stayed that way through college so obviously med school was out. So now, years later, I’m suddenly switching out of one field and planning to get an accelerated BSN in nursing. Then I can work for a couple of years in that and get some experience and either 1) apply for med school to become an anesthesiologist or 2) become a nurse anesthetist. So you’ll probably get to med school before I will, Nicki!

That’s sweet of you to ask. Oh, and no kids, no hubby yet. I found a couple of posts from Taurus (sp?) encouraging to me so I want to pass it on.

NickiNicki
    Participant

Whatever your study habits were like before, it sounds like you are definitely on the right track now to achieve what you want. 😀 And the hubby will come when he’s good and ready! (And you!)

I have the hubby, but no kids yet. In fact, we are in the throes of fertility treatments – going to our first IVF consult tomorrow morning. So, this complicates matters quite a bit for us, but I’m convinced we’ll be fine no matter what. I’ve read enough about people getting pregnant in med school at seemingly the worst possible times, and yet they live to tell about it!

Thanks for writing and best of luck! Hope to keep seeing you around here.

Nicki

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.