Infertility and Medical School

Home Forums Medical Students Infertility and Medical School

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    megboomegboo
    Participant

Hello ladies,

I’m a 34 yo MS2 and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for well over a year now – with no success 🙁

We finally bit the bullet in November and sought help from a Reproductive Endocrinologist, and I’m currently in the midst of my 3rd Clomid/IUI cycle. After rigorous testing it appears my husband and I are fully functioning reproductive beings individually, but together somehow we can’t make a baby :/. We’ll be moving on to a few cycles of injectibles if this last round of Clomid doesn’t work, and on to IVF if injectibles don’t work. We’re also considering adoption.

I’m just curious if there are any other medical student experiencing any infertility issues as well? I did find a couple of other threads, one with great insight on IVF, but they are a few years old and I’m looking for some current solidarity (I guess).

Thanks 🙂

nlmd12nlmd12
    Participant

I’m OMSII and I’m dealing with male factor infertility. My husband and I are trying to decide what we’re going to do since he’s 36 and I’m 27. Oh, and we live in different states as well. We would have to use ICSI and we just can’t afford it right now, but, we don’t want to miss our reproductive window. I very much want to experience pregnancy, so we’re considering using donor sperm. I have no idea how any of that is going to fit into rotations or how we will work it out! I’m thinking of maybe taking a year off? All I know right now is that I don’t want to miss my chance to have a baby and I don’t want my husband to be over 40 when we have our first child!

Muffin TopMuffin Top
    Participant

My husband and I (both med students)are struggling with some of the same issues. We’ve been TTC for a year and a half and our fertility work ups have come back totally normal. So frustrating (not to mention that none of the work up is covered by our insurance…)

I know your post is a little old..I hope you guys are pregnant now!

On a side note, some residency programs have adoption benefits if you know you are going to adopt. We live in the midwest and I know Mayo for sure has it.

megboomegboo
    Participant

Oh yes, we’ve been through the pregnancy and now have a 2 month old!

It is SO frustrating to be told you’re “normal” but can’t make a baby. Grrr. But hey, water under the bridge now.

newmommdphdnewmommdphd
    Participant

We also struggled with this issue…but now have a 2+ year old. It’s sad and difficult when TTC but there is hope and reproductive technology helps.

Muffin TopMuffin Top
    Participant

Thanks guys! I’m about to start my 3rd cycle of Clomid and am kind of at the point where my expectations are low. Is anyone else on Clomid?

The positive side of this is that I’m a 4th year so every month that we’re not pregnant is one less month that I’ll have to put a baby in daycare during residency 🙂

TardyOTardyO
    Participant

I’m about to start round #2 of Clomid. Hope we both get some good news. 🙂 What are you going into?

Muffin TopMuffin Top
    Participant

I’m going into peds and am anxiously awaiting match day. As far as Clomid goes, I test this week…fingers are crossed big time.

We’re going one more round and then are going to stop actively trying until we get settled with residency. Maybe we’ll be one of the lucky couples that gets pregnant when they stop trying (or maybe the Clomid will pull through).

It’s good to hear from another med student on Clomid. The lay people forums on Clomid/infertility drive me crazy with some of the logic 🙂

Project DoctorProject Doctor
    Participant

Just wanted to say good luck to you guys! I’m a 4th year who struggled with infertility as well. After TTC for 1.5 years and going through 3 unsuccessful rounds of Clomid, my husband and I were taking a break due to the timing of intern year when we got pregnant naturally. Now I’m due during the fall of intern year. I feel so incredibly lucky, not only to have gotten pregnant, but also because my program is being incredibly supportive. I just wanted to share my story, because I certainly felt like it was never going to happen for us.

MelbelleMelbelle
    Participant

Muffin Top, your post made me smile. After probably 1.5 yrs ttc, I started Clomid. After 2 roundsI wasn’t taking it very seriously, because I had pretty much decided that it wasn’t going to work, and that nothing was really going to work ever. After trying for so long, I just didn’t have any hope. Round 3 worked. I flew into a mad panic, since I really hadn’t expected to be pregnant, and the timing wasn’t great. Oh well.

I now have a beautiful 5-mo baby. She is awesome. It was all worth it in the end. Shoot, now I’m thinking I should extend my research year, get my PhD, and have 2 more! 🙂

Muffin TopMuffin Top
    Participant

Congrats on the baby! We finished 3 rounds of Clomid with no luck. It’s so frustrating sometimes because our infertility work-up has come back negative.

I’m enjoying the next few months without worrying about any of it and am going to go back to officially trying in July. Margaritas here I come 🙂

megboomegboo
    Participant

Melbelle, our babies are the same age 🙂

TardyOTardyO
    Participant

Haven’t been on here in a while and just re-discovered this post. Wanted to come back and let everyone know that my Clomid results ended up being quite positive and I’m not the proud mommy of 6 month old twin girls. 🙂 Starting internship in a week! Eek!

medstudentmedstudent
    Participant

I’m an M2 struggling to conceive and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their stories (although i’m few years late to the conversation) — not only is it hard struggling with infertility / going through cycles of clomid hoping every month that they will work, but now that step 1 is only 9 months away, i’ve decided to stop for a few months to make sure that i can take this all-determining exam on time, which seems crazy given how much I want to conceive. Still trying to keep up hope though that something will eventually work, whatever the timing may be.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.