Insurance Physicals

Home Forums Career Insurance Physicals

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    caseynshancaseynshan
    Participant

Hi I’m a doc from Denver…
    I have two young kids and I am researching flexible work opportunities. I am considering doing life insurance physicals.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Does anyone know anything about the various companies that do this…. (APPS, EMSI, ExamOne, Poratmedic..)?

Thanks
    Shannon

kjmerckjmerc
    Participant

I thought that doing life insurance physicals would be a great way to have flexibility and make money. I, unfortunately, gave up my medical license after being a stay-at-home mom for three years. Only after I had my third child and my husband had an MD insurance exam at our home, did I hear about this possibilty and interviewed for the job. I was told that a licensed MD can make $50-100 per client visit. I was told that licensed MDs were in high demand for the job because many insurance companies want a physician’s exam which may entail drawing blood, doing an EKG, and a history and physical.

The physician would be treated as a independent contractor and could write off travel expenses, fax-machine expenses, etc.

One negative that I saw was the need to travel to the homes of people that you don’t know. I was told, however, that the company I interviewed with had not had any safety issues.

I think it’s worth looking into.

TaurusTaurus
    Participant

I did insurance physicals through EMSI during my last year of residency. There was a set fee each for an H&P, venipuncture, and EKG. I was not asked to interpret the EKG…they were sent off to a cardiologist, I believe. I think I received $20 just to run the EKG (1996). It was very flexible, and did provide me with some extra money. The company did not mind asking me to drive a pretty good distance, though, and mileage was not paid. I guess each physician must decide how far they are willing to drive. Most of the people I met were very pleasant, but occasionally I ended up in a neighborhood I was not too comfortable in. I would consider doing it again if the need arose.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.