Interview Suits

Home Forums Premed Students Interview Suits

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    DreyDrey
    Participant

Poll: what are people wearing for interviews? What style and color of suits?

I have a navy blue suit that is a dress underneath with a suit jacket and I have a scarf that matches my glasses (dark purple) and a pair of heeled navy blue pumps.

What are you wearing?

residentmomresidentmom
    Participant

I am not interviewing (well, except for residency!) but when I was the dress code was: navy or black suit, solid or subtle pinstripe, conservative shoes. Most women wore skirt or dress suits. (Sounds like what you have.) Good luck! :crossfingers:

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Almost all the women I’ve see interviewing went the conservative route. Black or deep navy suit, mostly skirts, white/cream blouse. I chose a pantsuit, just ‘cus I’m more comfortable that way. 😀
    T

efex101efex101
    Participant

I am doing a black pantsuit with a off white with black and red type of stripes pattern blouse from Talbots (I love it) for my interviews. I wear a black Bandolino (very very comfy) black slingback pumps. I can walk forever with those shoes! Mayo interview was from about 7:30-3:00 and had no problem with those shoes…

BevBev
    Participant

The first time I went through this process (many years ago), I went the ultra-conservative route with a black skirt suit and white shirt. Though, I did have a lovely shirt with French cuffs and a cool collar. This time around, I am going to wear suits that I like and feel comfortable wearing. I have a very cool chocolate brown pant suit–long, duster-style top and loose-fitting pants. My sis says it has quite an Asian flair to it.

I’m sure there are going to be interviewers who still look for the power suit, but I’ve decided that in “selling myself” I am also going to show some of my own personality. I’m not going off-the-wall, but not going the traditional route either. BTW, my other choices will probably be a charcoal gray pinstripe or a black pantsuit. Anyway I go about it, I am wearing pants…I’m simply much more at ease that way.

With all the stress of the interview process, the last thing I need is clothing that makes me feel more uptight!

That’s my 2 cents….

Bev~

DreyDrey
    Participant

maybe I should make this a new topic, but it occurs to me that while all of us are going to be flying around interviewing, it would be nice to be able to find mommd members at the campuses we come to and stay with them the night before the interview.

efex101efex101
    Participant

Okay ladies I have to share this, a suit it just a must! I saw someone today w/o a suit and quite frankly it did not look professional. I know that a suit is not “mandatory” but geez, is it not the unwritten rule? and also there was someone with very long hair in a ponytail but with hair hanging out all over the place it just did not look groomed. I was actually quite nonplussed at what some of these gals were actually wearing. Hmmm, maybe I am overdoing it but I know that I look and feel professional. Any other experiences?

DrWuStar *DrWuStar*
    Participant

i hate suits. :p

they are the opposite of my style, which tends to be sort of soft and flowy. what i would really like to wear is a suit-type skirt with a nice twinset sweater. very classy IMHO, but i have been advised against it. :no:

i guess i will wear the one suit i own. it is a black pants suit. objectively, it is very stylish, but i really hate it. i am planning to wear a colored sweater shell type thing under the suit instead of a typical blouse. it is the compromise i have made with myself so that i look suit-ish, but still feel comfortable and like myself. also will be wearing clunky black heels and lucky jewlery – conveniently, my lucky jewlery is also the most conservative jewlery i own! 😉

minawillminawill
    Participant

Will eggplant, plummy brown or hunter green get you an instant rejection? Somebody help me out here! Not that I have anything against black and navy, I’m just curious.

efex101efex101
    Participant

I don’t think that the color has anything to do with it unless it is a relly loud color like “lime green” and you blind the adcom! I truly believe that as long as it looks professional and you are groomed you will be fine. I am wearing the same suit over and over he he, the dry cleaners are probably sick of cleaning it for me. This is my third interview tomorrow at the U of KY and one of the ladies that I met at my Vandy interview will be there as well, sooo she will see me with the same stuff all over again! anyways good luck to all of us!!!

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

For my interviews I wore brown. I was so tired of seeing everyone in black and navy and honestly I have heard people (students, professors, hospital employees, etc) making fun of all of the “people in black”. I have also heard that some interviewers now are specifically looking for interviewees who aren’t afraid to be themselves. For instance, there is a girl in the class ahead of me with pink hair (should I color mine purple?). I say, be yourself as professionally as possible :yes: . As for me, a few years from now I will be on the look out for a RED suit for residency interviews!! :rotfl:
    Em

DreyDrey
    Participant

I think as long as you’re not wearing Barbie-pink (think legally blond type suit) you’re fine. I was looking at a really nice looking suit today that was actually a very nice plum color. Too bad it was $500!

BevBev
    Participant

I don’t think color will hurt you at all–as long as it isn’t tooooo tooo flashy. One of my dear friends easily got into U of Ky in a hunter green suit with off-white shell.

I’ve looked at (and considered) several suits that I think look very nice in every color imaginable. I *like* a few in lime green, but I’m not going to push my luck! LOL I think whatever suits your style & still looks professional is ok. So if you like the “soft” look…maybe gray or light purple? The power suit is sooo 1980’s anyway!

I’m going to be looking for darker colors (or maybe red) because that’s what I like, with longer jackets–maybe as much as duster-length. And I’ll likely wear my granny boots too. Just because I’m conservative/professional does not mean I have to look frumpy, right?

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

LOL…..I (being aloof as I sometimes am) did not even think about what I was going to wear until the night before my interview. Having gained a few pounds, none of my suits fit any more….BUT what DID fit (and what I subsequently wore) was a pair of grey wool pants with a white shirt and a RED wool blazer. OMG!!!! I DID stand out among all the black/brown/blue dark suits, but I also got my acceptance letter 2 weeks later….in the first batch of acceptances nonetheless. And my application packet was by no means superb….

My interviewers did have a sense of humor though, and maybe that was my saving grace. When I went to my interview room, they had blocked the entrance with a HUGE trash can. There they sat on the other side of the door/garbage can while I said, “Excuse my while I move this trash can out of my way.” I moved it, and it wasn’t mentioned again.

Anyway….in my case my neglect of the dark suit rule didn’t hurt me any.

Peace~
    Lindsey

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.