Interviewing pregnant

Home Forums Premed Students Interviewing pregnant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AnotherJenAnotherJen
    Participant

It’s been a while since I last joined the wonderful premeds of MomMD… :wave:

I’ve had 3 interviews so far and another 3 scheduled. I’m waiting to hear back from 4 other schools. At this point I’m almost 5 months pregnant and not really showing — my friends and family can tell, but strangers might just think I’m a little chunky. 😉

My concern is that by the time I interview at the last schools I could be VERY pregnant… Has anyone gone to a big interview visibly pregnant? I’m 30 and fairly together, a competative applicant, but the prospect of being pregnant (for the first time 🙂 ) and interviewing is a bit overwhelming! :tired:

I’m due at the end of May, so in an ideal world, I’ll get into school near where I live already, take the summer off, and start school in the fall. Plan B includes deferring for a year, continuing my part-time clinical research job, and either reapplying or planning the big move next year…and then starting med school with a 1 yr old… In either case, my husband, friends, and family are very supportive. 🙂

Mom had my 2 sisters in med school and residency, so I know deep in my gut it can be done, but I don’t know if interviewers share this understanding.

Any thoughts?!

–Jen

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

How ’bout a huge wish of “GOOD LUCK!!!” 😀

It’s so exciting to see one of our premed members interviewing for med school. AND expecting your first child! I wish you the best of luck with both!

Spacecadet defered her first year of med school to have her child this past October, and I’m sure I’ve seen a post by someone who started med school with a baby this year. (haven’t I? :confused: )

What you have are options and that’s a great situation to be in!
    Best of luck!
    Theresa

mariahbmariahb
    Participant

I interviewed last month at USC and was 6 1/2 months pregnant at the time. Couldn’t really hide it anymore. Best news today, I was accepted there! So God luck to you, and it doesn’t seem like there should be a problem. My view is, if they aren’t supportive of families, I probably don’t want to go to that school!

Again, Best wishes!!
    Mariah

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Mariah, Great news. Did they ask you anything at the interview about being pregnant?

You must join us when we have an LA meeting!

Sethina
    MomMD Founder

AnotherJenAnotherJen
    Participant

Mariah,

That’s wonderful news! Congratulations!
    Did your pregnancy come up as an issue in interviews? Were your interviewers comfortable with it, uncomfortable?

Thanks,

Jen

AnotherJenAnotherJen
    Participant

Theresa — Thank you also for your support!
    –Jen

mariahbmariahb
    Participant

I actually think being pregnant was a positive part of my interview. I brought it up because I really didn’t want to go to a school that was not supportive of students with children. I interviewed with a wonderful woman, and in our discussion she said something like “I think moms make great med-students as they are the most organized of all.” She was even so kind as to give me her card to call if accepted as she knows a woman less than a mile from campus who she used for daycare when her kids were babies. So I have about 6 weeks left before this little guy gets here. This is our first child 🙂 Now I can cancel my east coast interviews, and I don’t have to travel at 8 months! Yipee!! Best of luck to you all!
    Mariah

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.