Introducing myself

Home Forums Introductions & Connections Introducing myself

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello Everyone,
    I too just found this website yesterday and I love it. I didn’t introduce myself before but I posted something in the general forum section. Hopefully you can take a chance to read it and help me or give some advice.

I graduated from college in 1999 with a B.A. in Biology. I too had some circumstances that didn’t help my grades. After graduation I decided to enroll in a post-bacc. program. But that didn’t help me. So now I currently work in a cancer research lab. I have been here for almost 2 years and I know this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I have always wanted to be a physician and now I am really depressed and have become really discouraged. I have decided to pursue nursing because I honestly believe that I don’t have what it takes to get into med school. What should I do??

Confused
    :confused:

psychpsych
    Participant

Someone else has already suggested (on a different thread) getting advice from a med school admissions director or premed advisor, which seems like the most direct option. If they tell you it’s unlikely you can get in based on your grades, you might want to consider physician assistant school. One of my friends who is very smart but not a great tester ended up going this route and is now having a BALL as a PA. It’s much faster training than med school, no residency, and you dive right in to jobs paying $80K or more. You can usually write prescriptions independently (working in a practice with physicians who are your official supervisors)and do almost the same things as physicians, but maybe not as complicated or specialized cases. Although even that seems variable — some PAs seem extremely specialized. So don’t give up on a dream in medicine. If it’s not medical school, there are lots of other options if you want to take care of patients.

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Just to add to that thought, try the student doctor network, I think it’s http://www.studentdoctor.net There’s a forum for PA’s on there and it has some very useful info on the field.
    Theresa

Thank you very much for the information Theresa

betabeta
    Participant

Why are you being so negative on yourself. Why do you think you don’t have it in you? Tell me more about your circumstances, maybe they are not as bad as you think. Maybe you just need a little push in the right direction. There is nothing you cannot do if you put all your mind and heart to it. Don’t make a wrong decision, don’t give up.

LaramisaLaramisa
    Participant

What was your experience in the post-bac program and how far did you get. Maybe you just need to learn to study and take tests more effectively – it is a skill that can be learned.
    LM

Laramisa,
    Here was the situation with the post-bacc. program. When decided to apply, the best one I found was to be in NJ at Rutgers. So I decided to go and do it. Went to the school to find out that they didn’t provide housing for starters. I am from NY and that was a serious problem. They basically told me I was on my own. So here were are two weeks before school is supposed to start and I have nowhere to live. They didn’t even help me look. So for the first two week of classes I was living at the Econo Lodge. Very stressful for me. Then their really was not solid advisement. There wasn’t anyone there guiding me to tell me what classes I should take or what not to take. No one to say take this class over and don’t worry about this one. It was basically here is the course offering book and good luck. When I tried to meet with the program director it was virtually impossible. And when I finally did meet with her, it was a rush- rush meeting. It really turned me off. I finally found a roommate and she happened to be in the program and felt the same way. If you weren’t from Rutgers you were on your own. Along with trying to study and get good grades. I had to work two jobs to pay the rent. So eventually something was going to give and it turned out to be my grades. Out of the three classes I took only got one B. So I left because it seemed to be causing me more damage than anything. I am a person who needs structure and that wasn’t be offered to me at Rutgers. I am doing my masters now, but this semester I didn’t take classes because I just got married in August and money was tight. Also because I am not sure if I should even bother completing it. I am in the process of applying to an accelerated nursing program. I don’t want to work in a lab for the rest of my life and with a masters that is the only thing I will be able to do. Working with mice is cool, but they have no personality. I feel at least as a nurse I can provide healthcare to people.

Beta I am going to pm when I get to work

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.