Intros from moms!

Home Forums Family & Parenting Intros from moms!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    mommd2bmommd2b
    Participant

I’d really love to hear everyone’s family intro…where are you at in your medical school studies, how many children do you have…and how are you managing 😀

I’m currently a ‘pre-med’…I’ve not taken any classes this year and am just getting back into things in the Fall. My children are 7,6 and 3 and because my husband just finished Fellowship and I want to give my family time to recover, I’m taking it slowly. I do have my MS in mol bio, but will be taking courses over the next couple of years to keep myself active (and hopefully improve my abilities before I take the dreaded MCAT)

I have found studying and children to be a tough act to balance at times…most of my studying is done at night when they are asleep…which usually means I’m braindead too :p

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Kris

efex101efex101
    Participant

Hi Kris, I see that you are in MN are you close to Mayo? I did research there last summer and loved it. It is my first choice by far. I am also a pre-med with two children and my husband is very supportive but has been gone a lot (Special Forces/Green Beret). I am now finishing off my first degree ever (I used to be in the Army) and I am glad that I waited for my kids to be older to do this. I am applying next year finally! and I am able to cast a wide for we are not landlocked. It is very hard to balance being a mommy/wife with school but doable, yes things do suffer but it is all worth it in the long run.

Med4MomMed4Mom
    Participant

Hi, I’m Mimi, and dh and I have 3 kids aged 5.5, 4 and 2. I am doing premed coursework now, taking the MCAT in Aug, and applying this cycle. I have an undergrad degree in Economics, and a Masters in Business.

I love being in school, but it is definitely more of a challenge to find study time with three active kids! This board has been instrumental in motivating me to pursue this “long-buried” dream. 😉

JulieJulie
    Participant

DH and I have 2 daughters, ages 4 1/2 and almost 7. I’m 30 years old. I’m currently (assuming I passed Step I that I took 2 weeks ago) entering my third year. Finally done with classroom. YAY! I’m leaning VERY strongly toward emergency medicine. I worked ambulance and in the ER through college and after. I know what it involves, and feel that it matches my strengths and personality, and I like it!

I went to school for biology, tried a year of grad school — hated it, applied to medical school early decision, didn’t get in that school, found out my pre-med committee had sent in the ORIGINALS of all my recommendations, so couldn’t apply to any more schools. Took it as a sign I wasn’t supposed to go to med school. Worked a year in a few dead end jobs, got married, got a job as an engineer, had my daughters, realized I hated being an engineer and still wanted to be a doctor, took the MCATs, applied to med school, got in, and am not regretting my choices one iota. If I had gotten into med school right out of college it would have been a disaster for several reasons. 1) I wouldn’t have my daughters, 2) I wouldn’t have grown up enough to be ready for the rigors, 3) I wouldn’t have had the experience in the “real world” that makes me so sure medical school is the right choice for me.

I’m really glad this wonderful website is up an running and am looking forward to “meeting” the other moms here.

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Hi, I’m Pam. I’m 32, married and have 1.5 kids (one two-year-old, one due in October).

I applied last year and got accepted to Baylor off the waitlist. It was truly amazing because I was sure that this app cycle was a bust for me.

I had to defer because of my pregnancy and will be starting med school next August. My kids will be 3.5 and 10 months at that point.

Although I am so incredibly excited to get to start medical school, I am also so scared about the impact this career change is going to have on my family. I know that we will manage somehow though. It’s just so scary to think that my sons will be 11 and 9 when I am finally done, and all the stuff I am going to miss in there…

Well, thank goodness for the new restrictions on residency hours! Hopefully that will make things more bearable for those of us with families (and everyone else too).

Nice you “meet” you all!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Can you please explain them in more detail? THANKS!!

Sethina

Originally posted by spacecadet:
    Well, thank goodness for the new restrictions on residency hours! Hopefully that will make things more bearable for those of us with families (and everyone else too).

Nice you “meet” you all![/QB]

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

hi pam,
    i was wondering if you went under the name “PAML31” with the old mommd website. the one with the awesome mcat scores…
    my display name was “ehnni”…
    congratulations on your acceptance into medical school, and your baby on the way.
    annie

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Sethina,

Here is the article about residency hours. Nobody knows yet if this will really be enforced, but it’s the accreditation board so it has a good chance. It basically boils down to: No more than 80 hours per week, 10 hours between shifts, no more than 24 hours at a time.

Work Rules Set for Medical Residents
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 5:23 p.m. ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Hoping to reduce the risk of dangerous errors by sleep-deprived doctors-in-training, an accreditation group for the nation’s teaching hospitals announced new limits Wednesday on how many hours medical residents can work.

The rules approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education are the first national limits ever put on the total number of hours that medical residents in any specialty can be on duty.

Residents’ work weeks will be limited to 80 hours and they must get at least 10 hours of rest between shifts. Also, they will not be allowed to be on duty for more than 24 hours straight. The new standards can be exceeded by as much as eight hours for approved educational reasons.

The council retained standards set in the 1980s that say residents should get one day in seven off and should not be on call more often than one day out of three.

The new rules take effect in July 2003.

“This will really require a revolution in the way residents’ hours are structured,” said Dr. Peter Herbert, chief of staff at Yale-New Haven Hospital, which was sanctioned by the council last month for overworking surgical residents.

At hospitals around the country, there are often no limits on the total number of hours most medical residents can work in a week, though some specialties already impose 80-hour limits. Some doctors-in-training complain that they routinely toil more than 100 hours a week and are on call every other night.

Dr. David Leach, executive director of the accreditation council, said the long, punishing hours required of medical students can lead to errors that harm patients and can undermine doctors’ education, because they can become too exhausted too learn effectively.

“Residents are doing more in less time with less help,” he said. “We felt, in recognizing that phenomenon, we needed to strengthen our standards.”

Hospitals and doctors wondered how residents will be able to get all the training they need. They also said the rules could cost teaching hospitals millions of dollars to hire more doctors.

Grueling hours have been part of doctors’ training for generations, and many older doctors believe such trial-by-fire training teaches physicians to make hard decisions when they are fatigued and under pressure.

In decades past, most residents followed a grueling schedule of 36 hours on and 12 hours off every two days.

“As much as it was traditional, it was not a good system,” Herbert said. “People have even commented on the idea that it contributes to the dehumanization of doctors in training.”

The accreditation council said the new rules are a response to changes in medicine that are putting more demands on doctors. Doctors are putting patients through batteries of tests that did not exist decades ago. At the same time, hospitals have cut back on nurses and support staff, so residents often end up doing paperwork and other mundane tasks.

An 80-hour week already is standard for residents who are studying to become emergency room doctors, said Dr. J. Brian Hancock, vice president of the American College of Emergency Physicians.

“We’ve come a long way in realizing that the health and well-being of residents is absolutely critical to our learning process,” he said.

The council said it would act more quickly to sanction violators. The council can punish teaching hospitals by withdrawing its accreditation, a move that can cost the institutions students and millions of dollars in federal funding.

The Association of American Medical Colleges endorsed the new rules and said it would urge hospitals to comply. The group said, however, it must study how much the standards will cost.

The American Medical Association is scheduled to issue its own recommendations next week.

The Committee of Interns and Residents, a residents union, approved of the new requirements but said they will be difficult to enforce. The group has backed legislation in Congress to put 80-hour workweeks and other resident benefits into law.

“Only a strong, enforceable federal law will protect the health of patients and resident physicians,” said Angela Nossett, a chief resident at Harbor/UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.

New York State already limits medical residents to 80 hours a week and no more than 24 hours at a stretch — restrictions prompted by the death of a patient named Libby Zion in New York City 1984.

Zion died at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center after being admitted with a high fever. A grand jury determined that long hours worked by unsupervised residents and interns contributed to her death.

The council has studied the issue for a year, and had been cracking down on hospitals that violated its old standards. Last year, the council cited 18 percent of the programs it reviewed for overworking surgical residents.

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Originally posted by caligirl:):
    [b]hi pam,
    i was wondering if you went under the name “PAML31” with the old mommd website. the one with the awesome mcat scores…
    my display name was “ehnni”…
    congratulations on your acceptance into medical school, and your baby on the way.
    annie[/b]

Yep, that’s me. Good to see you Annie! 😀

Participant

I guess i should introduce myself again on this new forum being that MomMD is starting on a clean slate. On the old forum, I went under the display name “ehnni” and decided to change it b/c I was bored with the old one… 😉 . First of all, I’m very excited for MomMD…I see that the number of registered members is increasing which is great 😀 !!!

I’m 22 years old but practically 23 (my b-day’s comin up way too fast). I’m married to a great guy and we have a beautiful little girl who will be turning four in 2 weeks…its so sad to see her growing into a little girl…no longer a baby, let alone a toddler 🙁 nevertheless she makes me very happy.

I am currently a premed student and started my academic life at a local community college. I’m done with that chapter and ready to move on to my next. I have been accepted into UC Los Angeles and UC Berkeley. I will be attending UCLA this fall as a biochem major???…Berkeley’s just too far away, and I feel that it would be in the best interest of my family to stay close, it works out though because my husband also attends UCLA.

Well I guess thats enough about me, I’ll leave the rest up to further discussions which I’m excited about…I’m sure all of us will make the most of this wonderful forum!

Annie

Participant

Pam,

So that was you…YAY! Good for you. You must be very excited. Its good to “see” you too. 🙂
    Hope we can chat more in the future.

Annie

BabyEyeDocBabyEyeDoc
    Participant

It’s so uplifting to hear all your bios and your hopes and dreams. I am finished with medical school and training, have bee a ‘real doc’ now for about seven years, after 5 post graduate training years.

It’s a tough road, it’s a long road, it will take a lot out of you and lot of time away from your kids. I hate to rain on anyone’s parade but I think it is important for you to realize that unless you want this more than anything else, you may end up resenting your job, and having a lot of conflicting feelings. You have to REALLY REALLY want to be a doctor more than anything, and at that point, it becomes worth it. My sister dopped out of medical school after her second year for much of the same reasons. She is now a P.A., and very happy with her choice. She has the best of both worlds. Loves her job and gets to see her kids.

I am not saying I do not enjoy being an M.D., my father and many other family members were docs as well so for me it is a familar world. I do LOVE my job, but in order to do it well, it takes a lot out of you, and at times I feel like it has taken a toll on my family that is reflected in many subtle and not so subtle ways. If I had it to do over again, I’m not sure I would. In a way, I wish I had two lives, one in which to be the best doctor in the world and one to be the best mom in the world. It is truly impossible to be both. I have tried my best to balance, but it has made me the most tired person in the world.:-)

Best of luck to all of you. I do not mean to be pessimistic, you just need to be very clear on what you are getting into.

Michelle M.D.

Participant

Originally posted by sethina:
    [b]Can you please explain them in more detail? THANKS!!

Sethina
    [quote]Originally posted by spacecadet:

Nice you “meet” you all![/b]

[/QB][/quote]hi sethina, how are you…i’m so pleased with this website all of us should be extremely grateful for all the work you’ve put into this. i will contact you soon as i have some questions to ask regarding my involvement. but anyways, the website is just awesome…the site i visit the most 😀 !

well i sure hope that changes WILL happen and soon. i have a church friend who just finished her residency in pediatrics. she was utterly dissapointed with the politics that were played within the doors of the hospital and she was OVERWORKED…found herself working 120/wk at times. she had to visit the emergency room 3x’s due to exhaustion…she even considered a career change…AND she’s a single woman. i was in disbelief to hear that kind of news. as a premed, i still don’t know the extent of how things are in residency. thank goodness she has completed her residency…now she can focus on making a “humane” income. she told me that her hourly pay as a resident was calculated to be app $1/hr. is that true? well, i sure hope the reform does take place. so many concerns that i have. well, i hope to stike up a “conversation” about this with anyone 😀 .

annie

momof3momof3
    Participant

Hello all! I am Michelle and am a 33 year old mother of three in my fourth year of private practice in Michigan as a neurologist. I read BabyEyeDoc’s posting with a smile on my face because what she said is all true. I too completed 5 years of postgraduate training after medical school and had two of my three wonderful children while I was a resident/fellow. My husband is an internist and the most supportive man in the world. The only reason I am able to do what I do is because of him. Medicine is a hard life and you really have to love it to be fulfilled by it. Otherwise you end up resentful and apathetic. I worked full time until I made partner. Now I work three days a week (although I round on my inpatients everyday) and am finally able to achieve a modicum of balance between my career and my wonderful family. 😎 At times we all feel stretched too thin by the demands of our patients and our families but it can be done. Now that they are limiting the hours that residents can work, I suspect that having a family during residency will be a trifle more possible. I’d love to hear how others physicians out there in practice are managing. 😉

Participant

Wow, this thread has slowed down a bit…

I see that the number of MomMD members is increasing at a steady pace 😀 and would like to hear introductions from those who are persuing or practicing medicine while balancing it with their families.

Hope to see some interesting and wonderful posts from our members!!! 😉

Annie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.