Is it possible to breastfeed too long?

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk Is it possible to breastfeed too long?

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    MDMBAplusBabiesMDMBAplusBabies
    Participant

Anytime I had questions on breastfeeding or medications that I was taking while breastfeeding I called the Infant Risk Center or looked on their website. I swear it saved me a few times. 🙂

barry12barry12
    Participant

Maybe a year would be more than enough. More than 1 year is regarded as an extended breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding might have an effect on a child’s growth in case they are not trained to consume other foods too. Breast milk solely is not sufficient for children

niashniash
    Participant

I weaned mine off at 16 mo. After 10 months or so, it was mainly night time feedings. We had a rough start and did not really start full time till he was 2 mo or so due to NICU stay, c-section complications and low supply. I knew how precious it was for me and him to have a chance at it. I am thankful to God for giving me the strength to persist.

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

I would have kept going for at least two years had my son not stopped latching at 5 months forcing me to just pump. I see nothing wrong with “extended” breastfeeding. It’s not like you are not going to feed them solids or table food or anything. I’ll definitely attempt this with my next child.

AmmaMDAmmaMD
    Participant

[quote=barry12]Maybe a year would be more than enough. More than 1 year is regarded as an extended breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding might have an effect on a child’s growth in case they are not trained to consume other foods too. Breast milk solely is not sufficient for children [/quote]

For my family, I felt it worked really well to continue to nurse until my DD self-weaned right around age 2: during her occasional picky-eating periods, we continued to offer her only the same healthy food everyone else was getting with snacks primarily consisting only of breast milk whenever she wanted (which helped us know she wasn’t going to starve or have any horrible nutritional deficiencies). For whatever reason – I imagine it to be a combination of innate tendency and the fact that she never experienced a pattern of turning down a meal and then getting a more interesting snack a bit later – her picky eating phases were generally short and gentle. And by the time she stopped nursing, she was old enough that we didn’t feel the need to replace the nursing with snacks of any sort. Now she eats 3 square meals like the rest of us. It’s worked out great, I think.

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.