Joining the army?

Home Forums General Discussion Joining the army?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    M -AM-A
    Participant

I’m interested in what all of you think about this:

I’m having trouble coming up with money to go back to school. The only solution I can see at this point is to join the army to become a military nurse or doctor. They pay you a decent salary while you are in school and, of course, they pay for your tuition and all of your expenses. Here in Canada, military physicians have to provide 4 years of obligatory service. I am scared to do this as I know this is a completely different type of medical practice, i.e. providing care with limited resources and under extreme circumstances. 😮

Anyone have any experience with this or advice?

M-A

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

You would prob learn a wealth of information from doing that four yrs – much more so than your friends in cushy suburban jobs

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

M-A,
    Does Canada have school loans that can be taken out and interest be held and payment deferred until you finish school?

amykamyk
    Participant

Er…keep in mind that being in the army means you may end up in an unpleasant place being fired on. I don’t know how Canada runs its army, but I can tell you several stories of people who were assured by happily lying recruiters that they’d be in some safe stateside arrangement, and ended up in places where they really never meant to go.

Before you join up, think about what you’re willing to pay for that money. If you think you can handle four years of no freedom and the possibility of being sent somewhere dangerous, which means the possibility of not coming back, then go for it. If these things make you think “er no not for me,” then there you are, leave the sixpence alone.

amy

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Totally agree with amyk, as prior military myself be aware of the consequences. Do not do this just as a means to an end aka paying medical school. Unless the Canadian military is different from ours that is….then you may end up in hostile area were yes, you may get shot at it and bad things happen.

M -AM-A
    Participant

Dana,

We do have student loans in Canada but I have defaulted on my loans from college so I can’t apply for it again!

M-A

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Ouch!Scholarships? Takeing one class or two at a time?

M -AM-A
    Participant

Yes, I’ve been slowly taking my pre med classes, but I need to find some more money to do this! I’m still looking at various options, and hopefully i’ll find out soon what will be the best way to go about this. 🙂

Kate_dup1Kate_dup1
    Participant

yea, I have experience with the military. Everyone is right about the consequences…but if you believe in the cause, it’s a great way to give back to your country. I’m in the US Air Force and it has been a learning experience. I’ve seen and done things that I never could have done as a civilian. And I am getting valuable leadership experience as well. Like yours, my payback was 4 years…I’ve got a year left with the option to continue on in the AF. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. I don’t think my recruiter lied to me. If you have been accepted to med school or are interviewing, I’d talk to some of the students who have already agreed to military service. See what they say. Also if your undergrad school has a Pre Med counselor, they may be able to put you in touch with similar students. Good luck.

AlyssaAlyssa
    Participant

A question for those of you in the military. What exactly did they pay for? Any back loans? Is it true that your four years service counts as recidency? Can you not specify where you will and WILL NOT go before you sign up?

My great uncle was a navy recruiter and he told my grandfather(the reason I don’t trust it fully…he didn’t tell ME) that they pay back loans. He also said that the four years count as residency. My dad is ex-marines and he said he specified where he did not want to go. He said they are very accomadating BEFORE you sign up. Is any of this true? I’ve considered this option many times before…I’m not so sure now that I have a man…Things change then…

Any answers would be great. Thanks.

Kate_dup1Kate_dup1
    Participant

They paid for required books, tuition, insurance, other misc fees and gave me a monthly stipend for 10.5 months. for the other 45 days I did an active duty tour and got paid full pay.

No, the 4 years pay back does not count as residency. You have to do an approved ACGME residency program for anything to count for residency. You are guaranteed one year of training (internship) and then it’s up to you and the particular service what specialty you practice. If you want to practice Neurology for insntance and the service decides that year that they have enough Neurologists in training, then you would likely not get permission to seek training. If you did not ask for an alternate specialty, you would be a general practitioner for a min of 2 years and would be eligible to reapply for residency. If by the 4 years you haven’t been trainined, you either seperate or apply again. For Navy, I know that everyone does an internship and is a generalist for at least 2 years before they are allowed to ask for residency.
    School loan paybacks are different. That you apply for after you have graduated and done a residency and decide you want to be a doctor in the military. The scholarship and loan repayment programs are different. There is no real difference between monetary pay between the services. Everyone gets the same pay based on rank. The difference comes in the likely activities and places you’d live based on the service. I may be biased, but most people agree the Air Force is the most plush of the services and seemingly offers the most in creature comforts. The AF is the most difficult scholarship to get, followed by Navy and then Army.

efex101efex101
    Participant

I was prior Army and have to agree that the Air Force is the most cushy. I am pretty sure that you cannot say were you will *not* go meaning they will send you were there is a need for you. Again, think really hard about your motivation to join the military. Joining for the wrong reasons may be detrimental not only to yourself but also to those that one day you may be serving with. The military doctors that I have met are some of the best I have ever known. I cannot say enough good things about them regardless of branch I had the pleasure (under very difficult circumstances) to be at Walter Reed for four months and they are all amazing, doing this mostly because they want to serve their country at the same time that they get a good educational benefit.

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

Let me start out by saying I’m not a military doctor, so I have no firsthand experience. But…I have a good friend who is, and by watching her, I have formulated my opinion.

She seems *very* happy in the Navy. :tired:

My twenties and early thirties are worth more than they’re paying for med school. :rolleyes:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.