Kids in Personal Statement??

Home Forums Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries Kids in Personal Statement??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    OHM77OHM77
    Participant

I am entering fourth year and am now faced with trying to figure out the details. One of those details is what I should put in my personal statement. I have decided that I want to do Pediatrics. From my understanding Pediatrics tends not to be that competitive, but I am considering applying to schools that may competitive. I want to sub-specialize and I think I may want to attend some of them.

So here is the issue I haven’t done much while in medical school that I think I could put in personal statement. Throughout medical school, I have tried to succeed in school and be a good mom. So some of the successful things I have done include them, but should I put that in my personal statement?

Has anyone else mentioned children in there personal statement?

AmmaMDAmmaMD
    Participant

I wrote my personal statement about a part of parenting that I thought reflected something important about what it meant for our patients (and our patients’ parents) to trust us as physicians, and how that shaped my goals in medicine. I got great feedback on it. It was definitely a conscious choice for me that I wanted it to be completely clear that I was a mom when I was applying.

I think there have been other threads about this as well, but I can’t remember where – if you dig around you may find them…

Congrats on making it to 4th year!

AmmaMDAmmaMD
    Participant

Oops, I just noticed this is in the blogs and diaries section. It probably should be somewhere else, as it seems like you want people to comment, and technically stuff in this section is not supposed to have more than one author commenting…?

OHM77OHM77
    Participant

I guess this was originally a question, but now that I have been on a few interviews I think put it all out there is important.

So now I can say I am so glad I mentioned I had children in my personal statement. I feel like now there are now surprises. It felt like a relief to not have to figure out a tricky way to find out how family friendly a program is. I have been on a few interviews and have found that obviously it was not a deterrent as I did receive the invite. I also was glad they recognized my strength and the asset I could potentially be to their program. I also and glad that I have older children so I’m not trying to figure out how to take maternity leave etc.

I have gotten just as many “sorry we have gotten so many qualified applicants” speech and some have not replied. So I am curious to see what happens as time continues to pass.

chal4oyechal4oye
    Participant

From my understanding Pediatrics tends not to be that competitive, but I am considering applying to schools that may competitive. I want to sub-specialize and I think I may want to attend some of them.

So here is the issue I haven’t done much while in medical school that I think I could put in personal statement. Throughout medical school, I have tried to succeed in school and be a good mom. So some of the successful things I have done include them, but should I put that in my personal statement?

AnnieLoureAnnieLoure
    Participant

I also worry about this matter, there is no know?
    I hope we can become friends, thank you!

ontgomeryontgomery
    Participant

A personal statement can be a deciding factor in being accepted into a medical residency program, law school, medical school or fellowship and writing it for inclusion into a residency application can be a difficult task.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.