Life is but a dream

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk Life is but a dream

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    G3PGY4G3PGY4
    Participant

Ladies, did you watch it? Do you respect what Beyoncé does as a working mom and has to say about it?

PS Path201 I am not a Trey Songz fan. More Miguel and Frank Ocean. It’s a lot of love and sex. That is the art and the trade of R&B. In more modest times, entertainers were more modest. Our cultural icons are as much a reflection as a driver of our culture. Beyonce may wear the equivalent of elaborate swimsuits onstage, but she advocates monogamy and hard work and dedication to your family and to your craft. We have more to fear from the Real House/ Basketball/wives/ groupies than Beyoncé, in my opinion

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=Anonymamanous]Our cultural icons are as much a reflection as a driver of our culture. Beyonce may wear the equivalent of elaborate swimsuits onstage, but she advocates monogamy and hard work and dedication to your family and to your craft. We have more to fear from the Real House/ Basketball/wives/ groupies than Beyoncé, in my opinion [/quote]

The explotation of Black women is what Beyonce stands for when she wears underwear in a photoshoot for a men’s magazine as a 30 something year-old wife and mother. Tyra and Naomi get passes because they’re MODELS. Halle Berry gets a pass because she’s an ACTRESS. Beyonce’ in NEITHER of those things.

You can advocate ALL those things you mentioned while keeping your legs closed and you clothes on. In fact, if she had taken that route, her legacacy as a great entertainer would be sealed.

As it stands now, she’ll only be remembered as a coochie popping entertainer with the language skills of a middle schooler, that had a LOT of talent and a funny looking husband.

BTW, I USED to be a fan in the early phase of her solo career but her over sexed behavior over the years has been a HUGE turn off. I’m also not a drinker of the haterade, having inherited a pretty nice set of genes from my Mama too. 😉

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

I respect her. She balances it pretty well, I think. Seems to be hands on with her child. Honestly, how much do we REALLY know about what celebrity moms do behind the scenes. For that matter, how much do we know about what ANY mom does behind the scenes. It’s hard to judge them, because we simply don’t know their reality.

That said, I think she is pretty fabulous. Some of her songs are overplayed, but I absolutely love some others of hers. She is fantastic at her craft. I think her ambition is something young girls can look up to, as she has pursued and accomplished her dreams. I like her for that (like I like a lot of other woman singers).

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

Ironically, I was playing her music earlier today!

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=southernmd]Ironically, I was playing her music earlier today! [/quote]

Her music is definitely on my ipod and I excercise to it regularly!

But a role model for girls? Not for MY daughter, and it suprises me that she would be for any woman who is herself ambitious.

megboomegboo
    Participant

[quote=southernmd]I respect her. She balances it pretty well, I think. Seems to be hands on with her child. Honestly, how much do we REALLY know about what celebrity moms do behind the scenes. For that matter, how much do we know about what ANY mom does behind the scenes. It’s hard to judge them, because we simply don’t know their reality.

That said, I think she is pretty fabulous. Some of her songs are overplayed, but I absolutely love some others of hers. She is fantastic at her craft. I think her ambition is something young girls can look up to, as she has pursued and accomplished her dreams. I like her for that (like I like a lot of other woman singers). [/quote]

Actually, I agree!

I don’t like when she gets political, because I am at odds with her on that.

But when it comes to just looking at this woman and what she’s accomplished and how she’s handled it, I’m very impressed.

I remember when I first head some Destiny’s Child in late ’99 and 2000 – I was in my mid-20’s and working abroad and discovering a lot of different music styles I liked. They popped for me, and I’ve always enjoyed what they and then Beyonce put out.

I also enjoyed the Superbowl halftime show, a lot!

G3PGY4G3PGY4
    Participant

[quote=Path201x]

Tyra and Naomi get passes because they’re MODELS. Halle Berry gets a pass because she’s an ACTRESS. Beyonce’ is NEITHER of those things.

As it stands now, she’ll only be remembered as a coochie popping entertainer with the language skills of a middle schooler, that had a LOT of talent and a funny looking husband.

[/quote]
    Given her filmography and print catalogue, I would say she is a model and a fashionplate. She is an actress, giving as fine a musical performance as any actress in a Broadway musical or the opera. In many ways, she creates the show. Some of her music videos (Telephone comes to mind) are cinematic.

Her language may be simple, but her thoughts are deep and her message is accessible.

Jay-Z in his own right deserves much more respect and credit than just as a “funny looking husband.” He is a juggernaut — a businessman (a business, man), art collector, patron of culture, gifted rapper, best-selling author, clothing designer and man apparently deeply in love with his family who overcame poverty to become one of the most powerful men in the world. I don’t know if your husband has the leader of the free world as a friend but if he did, I would think he would want to be known for a little more than his strong features.

G3PGY4G3PGY4
    Participant

also, I meant to post the link to the film if anyone doesn’t have HBO and wanted to watch it. Peace everyone

Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream (Full Documentary)

G3PGY4G3PGY4
    Participant

also megboo I found it interesting that there was not a lot of emphasis on her political affiliation in the film. Of course, being that she directed and produced the thing, this was a conscious move. I bet the CEO of Pepsi doesn’t agree with her political views either, but you see how that’s working out…

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=Anonymamanous]I don’t know if your husband has the leader of the free world as a friend but if he did, I would think he would want to be known for a little more than his strong features. [/quote]

I’m not sure what the point of bringing MY husband into the conversation was but since you did, let me first say that it isn’t received well for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact tht this thread was SUPPOSED to be about all things Beyonce’.

But since you did bring up my business owner, trained as an Engineer WITH an MS degree, Naval officer that did “special” things in the Navy, husband let me reassure you who Jay-Z is “friends” with doesnt impress me in the least. And since DH has visits to “white houses” in his line of work for the government, I’m really NOT impressed. But then, I see highly successful Black men EVERYDAY, so it’s no big deal or shock for me. And most didn’t get their business start selling ” pharmaceutical products” on the streets either.

And that violin playing, chinese speaking, tennis champion, future civil engineer that can graduate high school with high honors as a JUNIOR if SHE chooses? Well, that’s just the manisfestation of DH being a GREAT daddy too which is FAR more important than whose “house” her Dad visits in the course of a day.

Clearly, you STAN for Beyonce and Jay-Z, but some the rest of us are too busy doing great things in our OWN familiy life to sweat some other celebrities success.

PS- Jay-Z is the most “physically challenged” man in hip-hop and just like pouring perfume on a pig “won’t change ‘dat stank”, denying this FACT is laughable!

PSS- when it comes to many things, I’m conservative and I’m pretty CONSISTENT with that position.

PSS- URGH, I had to edit the heck out of what I originally wrote due to security concerns!

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

How did this get so charged up as a conversation? Aren’t we talking about a singer? Relationships? Being a mom?

I’m confused. I thought Beyonce was pretty cool, which is why I was blaring Ego last night as I stared at my rank list for the upteenth million time. I still don’t get why she is so bad?

G3PGY4G3PGY4
    Participant

I was mostly being facetious, Path201x, but I apologize if I offended you. All I meant by that statement was that it isn’t fair to characterize a man only by his looks, which you happen to find unappealing.

I brought up Jay Z also because their relationship speaks to the sometimes difficult dynamic of powerful men and powerful women, which we as powerful women will likely have to deal with in our time. It seems like Beyonce has found a way to balance ambition and power with the compromises that come in successful relationships. I see a lot of single, awesome women in my class who have trouble finding a man who can be comfortable with the amount of social capital that comes with being a physician. I see a lot of older women physicians who are divorced because they couldn’t maintain the balance at home.

Honestly if I can be a half good a doctor as Beyonce is an entertainer/brand, and still keep a thriving, happy family, I will be happy. I was inspired by the movie. I’m assuming you haven’t watched it. But I assume that others may have watched it and may have found her perspective on womanhood, wifehood, motherhood, and working life inspiring and/or discussion-worthy. If that makes me a stan, well so be it. I think we spent about equal time devoted to Beyonce in this thread 😉 but I’m sure both of us are working hard to ensure our respective families’ success.

Peace

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=southernmd]How did this get so charged up as a conversation? Aren’t we talking about a singer? Relationships? Being a mom? [/quote]

Two words about commentor’s family life, “OFF LIMITS” unless THEY bring it up otherwise, convo’s will get heated.

Now back to the subject, Black women have a world-wide “reputation” of being a$$-shakers, thanks in large part to music videos and ignorance. So when I see a woman like Beyonce with a TON of talent resort to behavior that others have to because they aren’t anywhere nearly as talented, it REALLY tee’s me off! And the fact HER behavior stands as a representative for the behavior of MY daughter due to the ignorance of others, really tee’s me off!!!

All White women aren’t judged by the actions of Madonna. But collectively, Black women never had and never will be given the same benefit of the doubt. And THAT FACT is why so many highly educated and successful Black women I know are pretty disgusted with Beyonce’ these days. She should have been so much bigger than to resort to photo’s in a men’s magazine with her drawz on!

And I’m not buying that ANY woman in this thread would be okay with their daughter posing in a men’s magazine in underwear when she’s NOT a model, and marrying a former drug dealer. Or maybe that’s just okay for people like Beyonce’? Geez there’s NOTHING I despise more than a hypocrite!

Then again, maybe I do “buy it”.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=Anonymamanous]All I meant by that statement was that it isn’t fair to characterize a man only by his looks, which you happen to find unappealing. [/quote]

1) I’ve been a fan of Jay-Z ‘s music since he came on the scene, so when I talk about his looks, I’m being facetious in a factual kinda way. BTW, Jay-Z married a woman 15 or so years his junior? There’s nothing profound or earth shattering about that, men do that ‘ish ALL the time!

2) I’ve learned NOT to judge a relationship/marriage by appearances because more often than not, what’s on the outside isn’t anywhere close to reality. However people are loving each other is perfectly cool with me.

3) I HAVE seen most of the video and it perplexes me as a long term Scientist who makes decisions based on evidence, why you would assume otherwise. And I personally found it to be more trite and boring than informative. I still keep wishing she would see a speech and language pathologist so she doesn’t sound so much like she has a mouth full of cotton when she speaks.

4) People are single and divorced for a TON of reasons and I’ve lived long enough to KNOW that true happiness is more about the person NOT their maritial status. In fact, i find your comment about divorced women Docs ill-informed and mysonginist. Most of the professional women I know are divorced because the refused to take $hit off their husbands in the name of “family” for indefinite periods of time, not because they couldn’t balance it all. I’ve also done volunteer work at women’s shelters and I can tell you that most women cant afford to leave their husbands thus, staying miserably married and often in danger in the process. Women docs who need to end their marriages are lucky they can afford to walk and tend to their spiritual selves.

Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis, Bill and Camille Cosby, Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter, Mitt and his wife, heck, Bill and Hillary, there are TONS of other examples of making marriage work that are quite frankly more relatable and realistic for me.

G3PGY4G3PGY4
    Participant

[quote=Path201x][quote=southernmd]How did this get so charged up as a conversation? Aren’t we talking about a singer? Relationships? Being a mom? [/quote]

Now back to the subject, Black women have a world-wide “reputation” of being a$$-shakers, thanks in large part to music videos and ignorance. So when I see a woman like Beyonce with a TON of talent resort to behavior that others have to because they aren’t anywhere nearly as talented, it REALLY tee’s me off! And the fact HER behavior stands as a representative for the behavior of MY daughter due to the ignorance of others, really tee’s me off!!! [/quote]

She’s a dancer. She uses contemporary choreography that only the most athletic and talented dancers can handle. She’s hardly shaking it on the stripper pole. Her performances take months of grueling work! Some of her choreography is sensual. Some of it is more classic. Love on top, anyone? By the way, I googled Diana Ross and found plenty of skin bearing, sexy poses, as I expected. (http://s1d5.turboimagehost.com/sp/c5fccc3f5480c98ef22fe55fdbd5933e/Diana_Ross_-_Harry_Langdon_photoshoot_15.jpg) How this outfit is any less shocking than Beyonce’s, I don’t really see.

I could see your beef if it was with Rihanna. Now there’s a woman who is delving into stereotypes of the oversexed black woman.

Why should it be different if Beyonce is not a model (um, but she is.)? So Halle Berry showing her breasts in a film is art, but Beyonce dancing sensually while singing about her husband is the downfall of the Black Woman? Please.

And if my future son-in-law is a former drug dealer turned mogul I’m going to respect his hustle. Now if he’s a current drug dealer, not so much. But if he has a tough past and a brilliant present and future, I’m okay with that. Truly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.