Looking ahead: Questions about Residency

Home Forums Premed Students Looking ahead: Questions about Residency

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DocMaDocMa
    Participant

I have already finished my pre-reqs and am taking a couple years off to raise my daughter, but I’m starting to get anxious about the process of becoming a doc while being a mother–I am confident that I can handle the school part (grueling though it will be) but am starting to get panic-y about the residency. Does anyone work fewer than 80 hours a week while in residency? I’m posting this here in the hopes that other premeds will know something about this or that it will catch a current resident’s eye. I just don’t understand how I can be a good mom that EVER sees my daughter if I will really have to work 80 hours a week! I suppose if a lot of it is at night…. I don’t know. Anyone know how other moms are making this work or anything about what it means to job-share during residency?

efex101efex101
    Participant

To be honest you are putting the cart before the horse so to speak. I would not worry about residency and what that will be like until you are in medical school. Things may change by the time you are done with residency and hours may be less than 80/week who is to say. I take it one step at a time, first get into medical school, then finish medical school, then worry about hours working as a resident. I do know that the 80 hours is max hours allowed per week, I am not sure but maybe some residencies will have less but not by much.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.