losing your babysitter/nanny…

Home Forums Family & Parenting losing your babysitter/nanny…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Hi,

I’m researching an article on your experiences losing a nanny, babysitter, housekeeper or other household employee who you TOTALLY relied upon… a few of my friends recently have experienced this and have been very upset. One had to cancel her entire semester after serious problems with a nanny who disappeared!

Tell me what happened. Did they give you notice? Did they just disappear? Anything, horror stories are welcome!!

What did you do? How did you replace them? Did they leave moments before an important exam, interview, situation? How did you children respond. Were you too nice or too strict with them? Did you feel taken advantage of, made a fool, etc?

Any tips and advice you would offer for moms seeking paid help in the home? WHat would you have done differently?

Can’t wait to hear the replies!

Sethina

Brooke TroutBrooke Trout
    Participant

I most certainly would treat the employee as an employee. I tend to try to be friends and equals. But, the truth is you have to act professionaly and seriously if that is what you expect from them. I have found that if I want a sitter to take the job seriously, then I have to also. Is it not so much easier to call a “friend” and say you cannot work then to call your boss. It is important to establish common ground and involvement with employees, but it is best not to be the one to eat a pint of icecream and cry with them.

Brooke TroutBrooke Trout
    Participant

ALSO. I always have several back-ups. My son attends an in home licensed daycare. If she has an emergency I have other providers lined up. I always make certain that my son has attended the other daycare or has met the other in-home sitters. That way, if conflict arises, our schedule is annoyingly disrupted but not critically. And my son knows who will be caring for him. Neighbors and friends are great, too. I have a couple that can watch my kids in a pinch. I make certain not to abuse their friendliness though. And, I make sure to watch their kids, too. Exchange a night on the town for them for study time for me.

*During my last 6 weeks of nursing school my 3 year old contracted the chicken pox from daycare. As we are only allowed to miss 4 days a semester, I was in a huge bind. After 6 school days and a weekend my child could still not go back to daycare. By this point my instructors were trying to expell me. I eventually went to the university dean and I pleaded and begged and agreed to make up the clinical days during the graduation festivities and the graduation ceremony. They agreed reluctantly. At the time I had some friends in Nevada. He was a pharmacist and she a stay at home mom. I drove 5 hours and took my daughter to them. She was thrilled to be with her friends who also had chicken pox. Then I drove back and pulled into town 20 minutes before my clinical the next morning. I was able to make up the missed days and they let me attend the graduation ceremony. I almost did not graduate because I did not have a back-up plan. Thus I make certain there is someone who can watch the kids.

SpiritDoc2B_dup1SpiritDoc2B_dup1
    Participant

“By this point my instructors were trying to expell me. I eventually went to the university dean and I pleaded and begged and agreed to make up the clinical days during the graduation festivities and the graduation ceremony. They agreed reluctantly.”

Definitely something to consider when deciding which medical schools to apply to.

Kim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.