maiden name/ professional name

Home Forums Women Physicians maiden name/ professional name

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    betsybetsy
    Participant

Hi everyone. This is my first time as a logged on member. I am a new physician, and married a couple of years ago. I would like to keep my maiden name professionally, but would like my husbands name personally (without hyphens). Has anyone done this legally? Every organization or board that I talk to has a different opinion. I would hate to jeopardize my license by doing it the wrong way. Any suggestions.

momof3momof3
    Participant

I can tell you that I took my husband’s name when we got married and because my med school diploma is under my maiden name that there is confusion. It has never caused any major problems but it can make applying for hospital privileges, etc. more challenging. I think sticking with one last name will be much easier in the long run for you. Trying to seperate your “professional last name” from your “personal last name” will lead to much misunderstandings. :boggled:

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

How about use your maiden name on everything legal/medical/financila etc., and in your private life just let people call you Mrs. _____ ( his name)…that’s what I let happen…

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

I was in private practice for several years before I go married so of course, all my medical “stuff” was in my maiden name including my business partnership, pracitice name and legal business documents. I definitely wanted to use my married name in private life esp. for our hoped-for children. Before getting married, I spoke to several of my pt’s moms(other MDs, psychologist, lawyer) who had kept their maiden names prof. but used their married names otherwise. They all encouraged me to do it and enjoyed the relative anonymity(sp?) it gave them in private life. I took their advice and in 8 yrs have not had any major problems with banks, the IRS,social security, etc. etc. in spite of several career moves and the addition of 2 kids to our family. Some people who know me prof. and in private life get alittle confused on how to introduce me at times but that’s no big deal. Iwould suggest that you use your maiden name as your middle name and have that printed as such on your personal checks, ss card, driver’s license, ins cards, etc to clarify things(i.e. Jane Smith Doe)

monica2monica2
    Participant

I go by Dr (maiden name)
    At non med social gatherings I go by Mrs (hubby’s name)
    All my bank, insurance, official stuff has my maiden name.
    Our white pages (phonebook) listing is in my husband’s name (he’s not a doc), which is great b/c my pts will never be able to call me at home!

EE
    Participant

Monica2,

I’m getting married in two months, and that’s the option I’m planning to take. I was so happy to see your post.

Can I ask you a couple of questions? Is your maiden name your legal name on everything? Do you have your married name on any “documents”? Has it ever presented a problem? If you had to do it over again, would you choose the same course?

I’m amazed at the lack of information about name change options–surely this comes up frequently these days! (If men had to make this sort of decision, I’m sure there would be information all over the place….) 😉

Thanks so much!

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

At some engagement encounters ( mandatory classes you take prior to the wedding for some religions) they give you a nice packet of name change info.

Participant

I kept my maiden name as my legal name. I use my husband’s name for most things non-work related. It works just fine, although occasionally I forget which name I’ve used at the dry cleaner’s! Legal forms like our tax return, mortgage papers, etc have my maiden name.

When my children were born I put both names on their birth certificates, maiden and husbands’s, without a hyphen. No one asks for proof of your name in most situations.

It’s nice to have an “alias” when you are not at work, it helps separate home and work.

EE
    Participant

Thanks for the information!

Participant

I’m using my maiden name professionally (I’m a resident) even though legally I have taken my husband’s name (non-hyphenated, by the way). So far this has caused no problems, and when I checked into it, I was told that it was not a problem as long as I was not using my maiden name for purposes of fraud. I sign my checks with my maiden name, and they know me by that name at the hospital, even though that’s not what is on my driver’s license or social security card. I told them that I was going to use my maiden name for practice when I started working, and no one had any problems with it. I should add that my mom, who is a retired physician now, used her maiden name in medical practice for 30 years and never had any problems, even though legally she had taken my dad’s last name. So it’s really not a big deal– and I agree with those of you who mentioned the advantage of the relative anonymity. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.