MCAT April 2003

Home Forums Premed Students MCAT April 2003

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    odysseyodyssey
    Participant

Hi
    I just wanted to start this thread for all those who will be taking MCAT.Please post questions,suggestions and techniques to crack the MCAT.Anyone applying in 2004? I would love to hear how everyone is preparing and what strategies being applied. 🙂

RayRay
    Participant

Hi there,

My name is Ray and I’ve seen your other posts. Nice to have you here! Anyway, I’m taking the MCAT in April just started studying today–am I late? Want to apply for 2004 class. Well, it’s been 6 years since I graduated from college and 7 since I last took the MCAT! Using Kaplan review book to study-suprisingly, I’m remembering more than I thought. Trying to find time to study while working full time and taking care of a husband and two kids (1 and 3)!

My strategy is to study 2hours every day until December and take my first full length exam then. That gives me 4 months to study. Then I really start to focus on what my weaknesses(sp?) are. That gives me December through March. I’ll take several more practice tests just to build up my endurance and then that’s it!!!

Now, interspersed in all this will be getting my application packet together (asking old profs for letters of recommendation, getting transcrpits and everything else that goes on).

I don’t have a clue if this is the best way to go, but I’m game for any suggestions/comments.

Studying at night after the kids go to bed doesn’t work so I have to study while at work (ahh) That means that I have to REALLY manage my time at work!

Ray

RayRay
    Participant

Hi again it’s me,

I think it’s a very good idea if all of us applying for the class entering 2004 keep a thread going to make sure we all are doing what we are supposed to and to ask questions. Applying for medical school is a daunting process (done it once before). It would be really nice to have a type of support group. Who knows, some of us may be applying to the same school(s)! Well, hit me back if you think it’s a good idea.

Ray

odysseyodyssey
    Participant

Hi Ray, Yes I agree with you on the daunting process. I think 6 months will be enough for MCAT prep. For verbal my strategy is to read wall street journal or time magazine for at least half hour. Have you timed your self while taking the test? Thanks for the response.

odysseyodyssey
    Participant

Here is a great web-site.
    http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Union/5092/
    It is good for reviewing MCAT topics.

Tangee FoxTangee Fox
    Participant

Count me in too. My study strategy is similar, I’ve got overall studying broken down until Dec., then my first full-length practice, then working on problem areas until mid-March, and practices tests and sections every week until the exam.

I also already know what schools I’ll be applying to. In FL, USF, UF, and UM. In TN, Vandy, Meharry and ETSU. In NC, Duke.

Anyone else?

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

I’ll be taking the MCAT this coming April as well. I already started studying, I’ve been reviewing the cell (the most easiest part) and its amazing at how much I’ve forgotten.

As to where I will be applying…lets see…that all depends on my husband’s situation at the time. If he feels that he is in good standing to find a job in any major city in the US, then he’s willing to relocate. That jumps the number of schools to which I will apply. If not, I’ll be applying to schools mainly in southern California: UCLA, USC, UCI, UCSD, Loma Linda. There will be few exceptions…I’ll be applying to a few schools further up north as well. UCSF, Stanford, UC Davis.

I also want to apply to one Ivy League school over on the east, just to test my waters… :p

Good Luck everyone 😀 !

Annie

RayRay
    Participant

HI guys,

Odyssey, what do you hope to get out of reading periodicals? Build up your vocabulary or increase critical thinking skills? I might need to do that too. Also, what schools am I applying to?… well that depends. My husband is in the military(Air Force) so that narrows my choices somewhat. He can go to about 8-10 different locations within the U.S. So I’ll be applying to various states.

Ohio-Wright State University
    Texas-UTHSCSA-San Antonio
    New Mexico-University of New Mexico

Haven’t decided on other schools yet. Really hoping for Ohio or Texas.

Ray

odysseyodyssey
    Participant

Ray, Reading periodicals and newspaper like wall street or New york times help me keep focus on topics and also build speed read while getting the main idea of the topic. That is my weakest area and when I started applying these techniques My verbal score went up. This worked for me . As for applying I am not sure how many schools to apply.I will be applying to midwestern universities. I will start full fledged prep in couple weeks.Thankyou so much for participating in this . Actually I was ready to give up but after reading all you guys I feel like I have a major support system and My lifeline. 🙂

Tangee FoxTangee Fox
    Participant

Hmm, I was thinking 😮 ….

We’re all starting our study plan right about now, and doing similar things. Maybe we could start a online study group. We could e-mail each other a “question of the week” or something, which would give us all exposure to a variety of questions. Maybe we could agree to study the same topic each week (we could study others too, but also have one universal topic) and do an online chat or something with a ideas (pnemonics or other intresting correlations) and questions.

Anyone interested?

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

Sounds like a bright idea…I know I’d be for it. Maybe I can help get it started if all works out for the better.

What point are you at in your premedical studies? What classes are you taking or going to take?

Annie 🙂

odysseyodyssey
    Participant

Tangee, Count me in.I would love that study group because that will be ultimate motivation for me.Graet idea. 🙂

OldLadyOldLady
    Participant

I feel like an underachiever 😮

I haven’t even begun to study for the MCAT, although I plan to take it April ’03. I’m still taking my post-bacc classes so i guess that sort of counts as studying, right? Please include me in the “online study group” so I know what I am supposed to be doing!

Amy
    Phoenix, AZ

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

I’m really interested in starting this online study group for the MCAT as well as USMLE. I will be getting some more great MCAT and USMLE tips and would like to share them. What would you imagine an online study group to be?

Thanks,
    Sethina

RayRay
    Participant

Good morning ladies,

I also think this is a good idea! I’ve already missed two days studying! I’m just not sure how a online study group would work, but I’m willing to try! It would definitely keep me motivated! Also, are there any of you studying/preparing while working full time with kids???? How in the world do you do it?

Ray
    🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.