MCAT before having O-Chem

Home Forums MCAT & USMLE MCAT before having O-Chem

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    merrimerri
    Participant

I’m planning on taking the MCAT in August of 2004 — I’ll have all of my basic pre-reqs done except for O-Chem (kind of a biggie :boggled: ). If I can afford it :crossfingers: , I’d like to take some kind of prep course for organic in the Spring– followed by an overall prep course for the MCAT. Has anyone done anything similar??? Any suggestions? thanks

DrWuStar *DrWuStar*
    Participant

i hate to be a nay-sayer, but i don’t think your chances of doing well on the MCAT are very good without having taken at least one semester of orgo. there is just too much orgo on there and it is not a subject that would be easy to learn quickly from a class designed to be review. i bet you would be ok with only one semester, but not having never taken it at all. i really suggest you either try to take one semester of orgo in the spring or hold off on the mcat. it is such a stressful test and takes so much time to prepare for and also is expensive. it sucks to have to take it twice – i know i have been through it. don’t rush yourself – it’s worth being fully prepared and getting it right the first time.

good luck, whatever your choice! 😉

DreyDrey
    Participant

You aren’t going to be able to apply until you finish your prereqs anyways, so I also think it would be wise to wait until after Ochem to take the MCAT. There was a LOT of Ochem on the test, and some of the general chemistry will be easier if you’ve taken Ochem as well.

It would be an expensive mistake if you didn’t do as well as you’d hoped, not only in money, but in possible low scores in the bio section. It’s better in my opinion to have the higher score to give to adcoms.

Best of luck!

efex101efex101
    Participant

Like the above posters already stated if you are serious about doing well on the MCAT you need to have at least one semester of ochem. Why the rush?

merrimerri
    Participant

Thank you guys for your comments — I really appreciate them. I guess the reason why I am pushing so hard for this is because I feel like I’ve come to the decision of becoming a doctor late-ish in my life (I’m 27). I really would like to make this dream come true as soon as possible. I feel like my time is ticking away and I have to make “good” decisions quickly. I don’t yet have children, but my husband and I really would like to start a family — now it is just more difficult because of my career goals (and the fact that neither one of us have family around, and my hubby’s gone 3-4 nights a week…). I have some guilty feelings for wanting to pursue this goal even though my husband is very supportive. I feel like I’m putting our lives on hold — in a way — but I know that I’ll be more fulfilled and hopefully a better person (and mother) in the end. I’d really like to help people — so I feel this is def. something I need to do.

I’m a pretty aggressive student — but I still know that my idea to take the MCAT without OCHEM is very ambitious….(maybe a little crazy :blush: ) Maybe I should just audit an ochem class this spring? What do you guys think? Thanks for listening….

efex101efex101
    Participant

You need Ochem before you start medical school so why not take it before you take the MCAT? Girl 27 is nothing, I am 37 and start medical school next year. Starting medical school one year later than you planned is nothing compared to the big picture. What is something, is possibly not doing good on the MCAT having that score seen by adcoms and then having to reapply again anyways. The process is not cheap and it is time consuming so make your best application on the first round so you do not have to reapply. This is my honest opinion. If you are a genius and do not need any classes and can still learn the material then maybe I would consider your plan but do not do it unless you are 200% sure that you will understand ochem. The bio portion can have a lot of it…

merrimerri
    Participant

unfort. I’m not a genius… 😉

Thanks for the advice — it’s just frustrating that one class can hold me back a full year. I know you’re right– that in the big picture, it’s only one year. I might just audit ochem w/o a grade and see how it goes, but I won’t push it.

BTW Congrats on getting in to med school 😎
    Where will you be going?

efex101efex101
    Participant

I think both my family and I are pretty set on going to Mayo but until my hubby gets orders from the Army I am still considering Vanderbilt. I have a gut feeling that it will all work out and Mayo will be my home for the next five years hopefully more if I can do my residency there. I think that auditing is a good choice and if you feel confident then go for it. Another thing you can do is take a practice MCAT next year and see how you do, if you do in the high 20’s then maybe you will be okay…

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I have a question regarding Ochem and the MCAT myself. For some reason I am great in chemistry, I am taking OchemI next fall, and plan to take the MCAT April 2004 which means I will almost have completed OchemII. Does this sound okay? Aslo I will be almost done with physics II at that same time, do you think with studying Ochem from MCAT resources should suffice for that3/4 month I wont have when taking the MCAT? I could always delay and take the MCAT in AUG, but dont want to delay my acceptance into Med school. I have heard the earlier one applies the increase in the chances of being accepted first round. Any advice?

efex101efex101
    Participant

you will be fine the material not covered yet in those classes can be easily learned from prep material, most pre-meds do the same so you will be fine…just make sure that you are aware of the huge time that will sucked up by the mcat and taking orgo 2 and phyics 2 while mcat prep will be touch but doable….

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Efex,
    Thanks for the advice, those are the only two classes I will be taking, and I will be working 12-16 hours a week then, sound more doable?

efex101efex101
    Participant

Well, 12-16 hrs of work and taking physics 2 and orgo 2 plus mcat may be too much IMHO…you will see once you start reviewing for the mcat that it eats up a loooooot of time specially with practice tests. physics 2 and organic 2 were more involved for me than the first parts were so, i think that is too much but of course you know yourself better..

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Thanks efex your the “Ann Landers” of my life 😉
    Hopefully, I will win the lottery or something or perform a miracle. Im obsessive compulsive about my studies, so it probably will be tooo much for me, guess Ill cross that bridge when I get to it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.