MCAT nerves

Home Forums Premed Students MCAT nerves

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    futuremdfuturemd
    Participant

Hi,
    I am absolutely terrified about the August MCAT. I am awake at night worrying that I’ll miss the test, forget the time, lose my car keys and anything else. I also worry about arriving on the day and simply forgetting everything. I’m also worried about being worried about the test, I’m not sleeping well and I’m worried I’ll be too tired. Should I just take the April MCAT? I was supposed to take the past April and dropped out just before. I fear that I HAVE TO TAKE this one or I’ll never do it.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

What good will it do to put it off again? Have you experienced this anxiety before (with other tests, classes, etc)?

What are you doing to prepare? Are you doing decently on practice exams?

Its somewhat hard to make recommendations without more info…but, if you are preparing and doing decently, I think you should go ahead. Maybe you should take a couple of days to ignore the MCAT and relax. If you aren’t well prepared, then wait until April.

I wish you well!

futuremdfuturemd
    Participant

Hi, Thanks for reply. Yes, my practice tests are OK. It seems to be that the mre nervous I get the better I do, but I keep waiting for the day for that to end and I do badly! I’m going to go ahead and take it. I have a study partner who is stressed and I know wonder if her stress is affecting me too. I’m going to take a break from her for the next few days and see if that makes a difference. 😉

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Since you have decent practice test scores, you have a reasonable idea how you will do on the real thing.

Do remember that the MCAT is like no other test you took in school since your raw score is compared to those of others. Because of this, for example, you can miss quite a few questions in physical sciences and get a decent score (this seems to be the most challenging section for many). You have to change your testing mentality a bit…sure, you may have missed a big percentage of the physical questions, but you got an 8-9. Biological is the next most competitive and in verbal you can barely miss any and drop to an 11-12.

I recommend that as you finish each practice test you take a moment to assess how you “feel” you did. Then score the test and compare your feelings to the real score. When you get to the real MCAT you’ll have an idea how your scores relate to your feelings. That can make you a bit more confident on test day. 😉

futuremdfuturemd
    Participant

Ha, just two days left. I’m not too bad, I have done practice test after practice test. Good luck everyone!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.