McCain’s MomVP

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk McCain’s MomVP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 388 total)
  • Author
    AnnaMAnnaM
    Participant

So what does everyone think of the possibility of a mother of 5, including a 4-month-old baby, as a possible VP? Pretty cool, I think.

I’m guessing that she is still breastfeeding baby #5, as she is a breastfeeding proponent. Looks like they may need to get more comfortable with breastfeeding moms in the executive offices.

auroraaurora
    Participant

Anna, you beat me to it!

The fifth baby born in April has Trisomy 21, and her oldest is serving in Iraq next month.

I’m excited, to say the least.

Emily2651Emily2651
    Participant

My kid is five months old … I’m trying to wrap my head around running for VP right now … wow. I am in AWE of her!

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

i think it is great…just the fact that she was chosen. women have made great strides!!

but, where does she stand on the issues? and if mccain dies (which is something to really consider) is she presidential? things in the world are very complicated right now…and we have alot of work to do.

honestly, i find it very difficult to be an equally great mom and physician. and there are no ‘part-time’ options in this role. with a 4 month old special needs child…i honestly think she should focus on him.

i don’t want a woman for the sake of ‘woman.’ if she gets there…and is not right for the job…but we simply give her the job b/c of external appearance…

…she’ll end up setting us back as women for many years to come.

Hilary, on the other hand…would have been perfect.

this chick is *no* hilary!

auroraaurora
    Participant

What makes her less presidential than Obama?

Are you saying she’s not Hilary because of her politics? Or because she’s young, has a large family, and isn’t your typical lawyer-turned-professional politician. It sounds to me that a lot of women liked Hilary because she behaved and lived like a man but happened to wear a skirt.

God forbid we have a woman with children making decisions for the rest of us…

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

I didn’t say she was, or wasn’t…it was purposly posed as a question.

I gave no reasons why ‘she’s not Hilary.’ You gave quite a few…

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

What I *am* saying is…

…I don’t think we should simply give someone a job because they’re female (or male, or black, or hispanic or gay….)

auroraaurora
    Participant

Originally posted by er doctor:
    [b] What I *am* saying is…

…I don’t think we should simply give someone a job because they’re female (or male, or black, or hispanic or gay….) [/b]

I couldn’t agree more.

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

🙂

and, of course, we shouldn’t *not* give someone a job for those same reasons.

i *am* happy that the status quo is being challenged on BOTH sides.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Originally posted by aurora:
    It sounds to me that a lot of women liked Hilary because she behaved and lived like a man but happened to wear a skirt.

Umm no, I like Hillary because she’s tough, smart, and takes NO crap (much like myself 🙂 ).

However, I’m pleased as punch McCain chose a woman, I can’t deny it so I’m quite comfortable at this point, continuing my support of McCain for President.

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

I’m very happy to see a woman on the ticket. However, I’m very concerned about her lack of experience in politics. Many people have questioned Obama’s readiness to be the leader of the free world. This woman is much less experienced in the political arena. Should McCain die/step down for any reason, would she be even remotely prepared to deal with today’s global issues?

McCain could easily have chosen a better woman for the job. There are lots of them out there! I feel like his choice is a political stunt; young, conservative and female. It’s like he’s just trying to get the Hillary supporters, the young voters and the conservatives all wrapped up in his VP choice without considering what’s best for the office.

Of course, the fact that she has 5 children probably means she could do the job with one hand tied behind her back…

auroraaurora
    Participant

path, I specifically said “a lot” not most or all. 🙂

TexasRose, as a matter of fact, Palin has been in elected positions since 1992, she was a mayor from 1996-2002. Barack Obama was working for a large law firm until 1996 when he joined state legislation.

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

continuing my support of McCain for President

What do you like most about McCain?

romdromd
    Participant

Originally posted by er doctor: but, where does she stand on the issues? … is she presidential? … honestly, i find it very difficult to be an equally great mom and physician. and there are no ‘part-time’ options in this role. with a 4 month old special needs child…i honestly think she should focus on him.

Originally posted by TexasRose:
    I’m very happy to see a woman on the ticket. However, I’m very concerned about her lack of experience in politics.

Yes, it is extremely exciting to see a mom chosen as a VP candidate. However, I too am very concerned about her qualifications. Admittedly, I don’t know much about her yet, so hopefully she will be able to address some of these concerns in the near future. Furthermore, I wonder if she really will be able to fully devote herself to the job, given her family situation. It may be unfair, but I do expect my president and VP to be totally committed to their work, at least for the 4-8 years that they’re elected. This is a position unlike all the other jobs in our society where we strive for the balance of work and personal life. Frankly, I don’t want ANY distractions for the top 2 leaders of our country, even if it is such a noble cause as a special-needs baby who’s still being breastfed. (On the other hand, Hillary is clearly 110% devoted to the job; few can argue that, whether or not you agree with all of her issues.)

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

What do you like most about McCain? [/QB]

It’s not so much that I “like” McCain because I like everyone on both sides except Biden (I’m still stuck on his chacterization of Obama as “articulate and clean”), it’s more that his beliefs and credentials line up with what I think are good presidential qualities. For example, I’m the daugher of a Vet, so military service is of the upmost importance for me and I think it should be a requirement to run for president (I’ve tried a few times in my past to join the military but was medically excluded). For me, being at war is the most pressing issue today so the Commander in Chief needs to be former military IMHO.

Ironically all my life, I’ve always been pretty conservative in my views however, I’ve never voted Republican but plan to this year for the first time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 388 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.