mdtobe at myage

Home Forums General Discussion mdtobe at myage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    grandmommdgrandmommd
    Participant

High Girls!

I am so glad to have someone female to talk to.
    After choosing to sucessfully raise a family, :wave: I am in a position to be what I wanted to be when I grew up. I do not regrett investing my time in my children.

I am presently a full time student/junior at Penn State. The catch is that I am presently 53yrs old. I feel I have plenty of good years ahead and I want to practice medicine during those years. I have thought long and hard about this and gave up my “day time job”. I was making $50,000 a year,(not bad for a single mom without a degree).

I need your support and encouragement as well as the “facts”.

Until Later,
    Virginia

momofchrismomofchris
    Participant

Congratulations- I think that’s great! And guess what? You aren’t alone. Check out this article from the Nashville Banner:
    http://www.tennessean.com/sii/00/10/08/doclady08.shtml
    Now for the reality check: like the grandma in that article, you’ll likely have a tough time getting accepted to a U.S. school. However, it never hurts to try. Also, D.O. schools are more receptive to older students than most traditional M.D. schools, so definitely apply to those as well. And if all else fails, it sounds like the Caribbean doesn’t discriminate against older applicants, so I’d encourage you to research that option as well.

lillianlillian
    Participant

All right!

Happy to hear from you and WELCOME!!!

grandmommdgrandmommd
    Participant

Thanks for your encouragement. I know the “system” is not age friendly. If I do well with the MCATs and I finish well at Penn State, I will seek my options.

I whitewater,kyack I perform interpretive dance at my church, I love to be active. I do not meet the 50’s profile. I work hard at not allowing myself to “settle”.

I basically feel that if I am perceived as too old to work then the geezers a that are practicing are too old to stay. They should retire. (As Foghorn Leghorn says: “Thats a joke son”.)

Practicing medicine involves service and a committment to people. Who is to say how many years any of us has. Whatever years we have we should put all we are into it. I

I qualify for need based financial assistance and I cannot afford to go to the Carribean. I must go to school in Pennsylvania as a resident. I need to apply to those schools in my state.
    We will see. I need to complete the task that is before me.

Virginia

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

I to am changing careers to enter med school. I am 41 and the mother of four boys. I’ve found a couple of interesting sites that might be of interest you. Find the link below.

All I have to say is that anything is possible. We create our own realities and are only limited by our own imagination. If you truly want something then make it happen, hold on to your dream and never give up. For failure is just the result of giving up. 😀

Hang in there grandma

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant
    lizliz
    Participant

Hi grandmommd…
    if you haven’t already checked it out try
    olderpremed.com
    great forum, good info. Like this site– good support.

lizliz
    Participant

oops and apologies….last post should have been to mdtobe @my age rather than grandmommd. i got the first 2 posts a bit confused. hope there was no offense taken. liz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.