Med-Peds?

Home Forums Residents Med-Peds?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    eeh2004eeh2004
    Participant

I am finishing my junior pediatrics rotation and have worked with some fantastic med-peds residents in the program here. I have always considered Family Medicine my top choice of specialties but I’m intrigued by the idea of the medicine/pediatrics combination. Unfortunately, the program here will no longer be in existence thanks to financial issues. 🙁 I’m curious to see if this is a specialty that anyone on MomMD is a part of or ever considered. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Erin

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I’m very early on in this game, but I’m considering a med/peds program. I’m interested in adolescent/young adult medicine.

I’m not sure how popular these programs are (especially for those not interested in subspecialties like ped hem/onc, ped cardiology, etc.)

If I do this, here’s the program I’d be looking at
    Univ. of Oklahoma Med/Peds Residency Program

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

Know someone at UT Memphis starting her second year of Med/Peds. She’s working hard… much harder than if she had only done one or the other. You are trying to fit two complete residencies into 4 yrs.

Always seemed pretty cool though… double boarding and all that. The issue I think becomes what kind of practice you want to have. Insurance companies and Medicare will not pay you more because of the double boarding, and I would assume you would get paid (in private practice) at the same reimbursement rates as peds or int med or even family medicine – the other specialty that takes care of both groups of patients.

I would think that many docs who go into med/peds would choose therefore to become hospitalists or do a fellowship in something (though I’m not really sure).

Why would you choose med/peds over family medicine?

Linda

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Originally posted by EemaMD:
    [b]

Why would you choose med/peds over family medicine?

[/b]

Family Practice doesn’t have an adolescent medicine sub-certification, but IM and Peds do. No, you don’t have to do both to work on the sub-specialization, but the combined programs should leave you better prepared (in theory) and with a broader age-range to treat.

Here’s a link to the ABMS approved specialties and sub-specialties. ABMS

It is true that a large # of med/peds go on to sub-specialization…especially the higher reimbursement areas.

shirlshirl
    Participant

Erin,

I have a colleague that is med peds, everyone else is peds. Certainly in general peds you get adolescent medicine. In med peds there is more adolescent medicine and young adult. Sometimes med peds can really add to the focus on young adults with chronic disease.

As to the comment aboout med peds specializing more I have no knowledge in that area.

Good luck!

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

From what I understand (from a classmate who is planning on doing this), you can do an adolescent med fellowship coming out of either med/peds, peds alone OR family medicine. There are also peds/psych residencies that can subcertify in adolescent medicine.

Linda

eeh2004eeh2004
    Participant

Linda,

Are you at Quillen? Have we met? With a school so small it seems that we must have crossed paths at some point…

Anyway, I’m still interested in both FP and Med-Peds (the Med-Peds residents here are very happy about their choice and I’ve learned a lot from them). I like the idea of med-peds because I get the idea that if I ever wanted to pursue a subspecialty it might be easier. However, I also like the idea of getting more OB/women’s health experience in Family. I guess I still have a while to decide. Right now I’m interested in everything!

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

I AM at Quillen… 😎

I transferred in as a 3rd yr from MCV, so we may not have met. I took a good portion of last yr (4th yr) off and should be finishing up this winter.

I’ll also be going through ERAS this fall, and as of right now will be applying in both OB and peds. I was also one of those people who liked all my 3rd yr rotations. I’m doing a Women’s Heath month (clinics) and a peds SubInternship to help me try to make up my mind. I also am hopefully starting a gyn onc rotation on Monday (Dr. Drake rules!).

What rotation do you start Monday?

Linda

P.S. Amazing that there are three of us from Quillen on this board! Give me a page sometime… 😉

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

Got so distracted by the QCOM stuff I almost forgot…

Another option to look into is a Women’s Health tracked Medicine residency. (There are not a lot of them in the country, but I know there is one at MCV.) They get a lot more benign gyn experience and address female-specific health concerns more than a traditional Medicine residency does, but they still get boarded in Medicine.

Just an additional thought…

Linda

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.