med school application waiting game

Home Forums Premed Students med school application waiting game

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    momelmomel
    Participant

I’ve seen than a number of you have already had interviews and even received acceptances, but I’m wondering if many of you are like me, feeling in limbo and finding it torturous to wait to hear from schools!? I had to take the August MCAT, so I know my applications got held up by this. However, I am beginning to feel anxious about my chances of being granted interviews. Would love to hear of others’ experiences!

efex101efex101
    Participant

I would not worry yet. Interviews will still be granted until May in some cases and acceptances will be rolling out. If you have submitted all your secondaries, have checked with schools to make sure they have your file complete including LOR’s, you should be fine. Many many people get in with aug mcat scores so do not worry. The advantage of taking the april mcat is that if you have everything in early, you will have an acceptance hopefully by october 15. But, this does not mean that those folks taking the august mcat will not get in.

DrWuStar *DrWuStar*
    Participant

hi map,

efex is absoutley right (as usual) that you shouldn’t worry yet. one of my best friends took the august mcat last year and didn’t start getting interviews until january or february, but she was successful and is an MS1 now at a great school.

on the other hand, i can absolutely relate to your worries. i have the same ones, aohtough i try to convince myself to relax and just wait. i have had one interview and one rejection, but i am still waiting to hear from 8 schools. the waiting is driving me crazy. especially when i compare myself to women here and people on SDN who have already interviewed at several great schools. i feel like i am a strong applicant, so i wonder why i haven’t heard as quickly as others. i try to tell myself no news is good news, and that if i was clearly not in the running, i would have been rejected from more places by now. it’s really hard though.

sorrry to ramble, but i have been wondering if i was the only MomMDer in this situation. everyone else seems to have been so much more successful already.

momelmomel
    Participant

DrWuStar,

I only now read your posting, and I wanted to tell you that I have used the same line of thinking in terms of no news being good news. I don’t know if this is actually true, but it keeps me semi-sane some days. My husband jokes that he’s going to block me from looking at certain websites because I get all stressed and discouraged when I read that people are already accepted at great schools and I haven’t even had an interview yet! I got two swift rejections a couple of weeks ago, and no word since then. I don’t know if I am a strong candidate or not, especially because my undergrad performance from 14 years ago was very poor. But my post-bacc science courses were excellent, so it depends on what the schools weigh more heavily. MCAT scores were only average, so that’s a worry, too. We’ll see. Good luck with things, and keep me posted.

AngieAngie
    Participant

Wow – I cannot express how good it feels to read these replies, not that I am glad you are all in the same boat that I am, but misery does love company, no? I have had three rejections, one interview, and several applications still out there. Part of my anxiety is that I don’t think my interview went well, and it was at my state school, so now I’m not sure what my chances are. I also took the Aug. MCAT, so I realize it did back me up a bit in the process. To make matters a little more interesting, I just found out I am pregnant with my third baby – talk about throwing a monkey wrench into the entire process. At this point, I hope to get my interviews taken care of before I become obviously pregnant! Just like all of you, I just need to get in somewhere, and the waiting is really tough. While the baby has given me something else to think about all day, rather than checking my email/mailbox, however it also makes the “unknown” a little more scary. I’m glad I’m not alone. Thanks for posting.

Angie

momelmomel
    Participant

Angie – I can understand what a dilemma you have on your hands! The waiting game is horrible in its own right, and the added dimension of being pregnant would make matters worse. I have a friend who applied last year with one child who would have been a little under a year when she would have started. As it turns out, by the summer she was wait listed at one school, and not accepted elsewhere, so she was feeling like it wasn’t going to happen this year. Then, she found out she was pregnant again, and that cleared up the dilemma for her. In your case, I guess the timing could technically be possible, especially with a very supportive husband. So from where I sit I think it really depends on your own feelings about starting school with a little munchkin. People do it, and people don’t. I just don’t think there’s a universal ‘right answer’. I don’t know if you feel this way, but you are relatively young, and if you don’t start school in 2004 the door doesn’t have to close forever. I am 36 and just going down this path now, so that may give you a little perspective. However, if someone said that to me right now I’d flip because I feel that I don’t want to stretch this out any more!

Hang in there with the waiting game. I just got an invite for an interview this week, so that was a bright spot after only rejections and then no word from many schools. So hang tight, and keep us posted.

AngieAngie
    Participant

Thanks, map, for your advice and support. At this point, I plan to just go ahead with plans, and I’ll worry about the choice of the stay home or not to stay home when/if I get an acceptance. The waiting is just hard, although it is good to know there are others out there who are waiting as well. I already delayed this process by one year with my second daughter, because she was very ill as an infant. I took a year off school to take care of her. So, putting things back another year doesn’t sound very appealing to me at this point, even though I know that in the end it won’t matter if I’m a year older when I finish. I am just SO ready to do this, and I don’t want to think about the possibility of being rejected at every school. I know many of you are in the same boat as far as that is concerned,which is why I came here for support. Is there anyone else that knows of women who have had very young babies at the begining of school? I know of one gal who just had a baby a few weeks ago as an MSI and is still in class. However, I stayed home full time for the first year with both of my girls and I know from experience that leaving a tiny one won’t be easy. Decisions, decisions. All in all I know that I need to remember that things will end up the way they are supposed to and I need to trust in the fact that the plan that evolves will be the right one. As you all know, that is not easy!

I’ll keep you posted.
    Angie

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

still waiting, too!

MAP, congrats on the interview! I’m counting on the holidays and a January interview to keep me sane for a little while longer. :crossfingers:

I hate having my application just “out there” and hearing nothing. No news is better than bad news, but it feels like I went out on a date with a really great guy and he won’t call me back! :rotfl:

Theresa

momelmomel
    Participant

TheresaW, what a great analogy of waiting for the guy to call you after a date. The waiting game plays such tricks on your mind! Some days I have myself completely convinced that I won’t be going to med school next year. Other times I think it’s a remote possibility. I know that I need to get my head together before I go to any interview or else my lack of self-confidence will almost ensure that I don’t get in! Congrats on your interview in Jan, good luck. I know what you mean about the holidays to get you through. I have that and also my cheery, adorable 7 month old daughter takes my mind off of the stress of waiting. I just decided at the very last minute to apply to a couple of DO programs, so now I am scrambling to do the apps. That’ll keep me busy for a few days! Best of luck in being patient.

AngieAngie
    Participant

I did the exact same thing, as far as the DO apps go. I have always been interested in the DO route, but convinced myself I didn’t want to hassle with applying both ways. I changed my mind a few weeks ago and have also been scrambling to get the application materials together, although I must say filling out the app was a cinch after doing AMCAS! I am applying to two DO schools. The decision became even more clear after realizing I was pregnant, since this will give me two options of staying in state, close to extended family. The holidays definitely help, like others have mentioned. I have other things to focus on for at least another month! I’m glad to know I’m not alone. Congrats to those of you who already have Jan. interviews. What is the average wait time when scheduling? I have only had one interview, and it was two weeks from the day I got the invitation. Do most schools have a longer waiting period??

Angie

momelmomel
    Participant

Angie, since I only have one interview scheduled I don’t know what’s ‘typical’, but I was actually surprised at how long the wait is in this particular case – it’ll be over 2 months from the time I got notified to when I’ll go for the interview. When I discovered this I took it as a sign that they weren’t all that interested in me, but figured they’d give me an interview nonetheless. So I don’t know (in case you’re curious, it’s Albany Medical College). As far as the DO app., I am finding it more annoying than the AMCAS! It sure helps to have done the AMCAS first, but the AACOMAS is not very user friendly with their formatting and limited space for listing work/volunteer experience! I think I’m just burnt out on the app process, you know?

alexandra0331alexandra0331
    Participant

This message is in response to waiting. I am currently attending my 5th year a college because I decided to stay another year therefore deferring medical school for one year. I also went through the same thing last year. Everyone I knew was already receiving acceptances and interviews as well around this same time of year. I didn’t really start interviewing until February and then all of them started coming. I was full during Jan, Feb and March. All I am saying is hang in there you’ll receive responses soon. Good Luck!

notaminotami
    Participant

Thanks for all of your posts–it’s reassuring to know that I’m not alone in my anxiety (though I am sorry to hear that so many others are as frustrated and uncertain as I am). I also had to take the August MCAT and although I submitted my AMCAS app as soon as I could I have only received two offers for interviews…which I am trying to convince myself is better than nothing.
    Congrats Angie on the baby–that is exciting, although I’m sure you feel at times that the last thing you need is more excitement or uncertainty right now…hang in there!
    Good luck everyone, i hope interviews and acceptances are swift for all of us. the waiting game is torturous!!! :banghead:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.