Medical School Policies on Pregnancy

Home Forums Medical Students Medical School Policies on Pregnancy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    maddymaddy
    Participant

Hi: I am a 3rd year medical student who is also 38 weeks pregnant. I just finished my first rotation yesterday (OB/Gyne). I am now doing two weeks of research to fill in the time before my due date. The research my school would like me to do is about our situation, i.e. how do medical school clerkships cope with pregnant medical students. I’m trying to find out if there are any overriding policies out there and if not, whether there should be some sort of guidance for the clerkships. Does anyone want to tell me whether they know of any policies of if their school has any written policy regarding pregnancy in the 3rd and 4th years of medical school? I would love to hear from anyone.

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Hi,

I’d like to recommend the MomMD Family Friendly survey here http://www.mommd.com/familyfriendly.shtml

You may find some info there, not many schools applied but you’ll get an idea.

Good luck!

Sethina

eeh2004eeh2004
    Participant

Hi there,

My med school, ETSU/Quillen in Johnson City, TN, doesn’t have a formal written policy on pregnancy. I do know, however, that three of my female classmates, including one of my best friends, have given birth over the past year or so. The first two had their sons during the pre-clinical years and simply chose to stay home from classes the majority of the time. The faculty were very understanding and the administration worked with them to allow both of them to take the first 3rd year rotation off and take the USMLE a little later than the rest of us. My friend Amanda was due at the beginning of August, mid-rotation. She worked with the Family Medicine department and the administration and managed to split the rotation into 2 four-week blocks with an 8-week maternity leave in between. All three of them are required to make up the 8 weeks during fourth year and will likely have to stay for a few weeks after graduation because we are only given 4 weeks vacation time. Good luck with your baby and with the research! If you have any questions please e-mail me at eeh2004@yahoo.com anytime!

Erin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.