Meet Mary

Home Forums Premed Students Meet Mary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mary B-B ToBeDocMary B-B ToBeDoc
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Sethina has just asked me to start a new thread here (oddly enough) about me, so let this serve as an introduction by e-mail. Here goes…
    I’ve just applied to med school and finished a slew of science and math courses in a self-designed post-bacc at a state university. I wanted to do some upper level sciences (e.g. micro, biochem, adv. genetics) because my background was in the arts. My former degrees are: BFA (Clark Univ.— terrific place, loved it, send your children there!) and MFA (Rochester Institute of Technology — loved it less, but had good people in the program). My former careers: I was editor of photography for a national monthly magazine and got to assign photographers all over the world. Did that for ~ 3+ yrs., then went to a local college as an instructor (adjunct faculty) and have taught there for 12+ yrs, teaching adult students, raising our 2 sons. Also, my husband and I have renovated two houses during the past 13 years. Think of “This Old House”, only not so fancy…we’ve done >95% of the work ourselves. And I love gardening and designing things…
    But my big claim to fame is that I’m on the advisory board here and designed the MomMD.com t-shirt! And I got to meet and shadow one of our doctors here; I’m still grateful for that.
    Reclaiming my intent to become a doctor has brought my career around full circle…I wanted to do pre-meds the first time around, but didn’t (i.e. no support, financial or otherwise). Going for it now is full of ups and downs, but mostly ups. I’m always amazed at how much people (patients) will reveal to me, trust me, etc. I’ve gotten a lot of encouragement from former students, my director at the college where I teach, science professors, doctors and everyone here. This is truly a terrific group of women and I appreciate all our discussions. So if you haven’t already done so, please introduce yourself! — Mary 🙂

Mary B-B ToBeDocMary B-B ToBeDoc
    Participant

…just want to add, the t-shirt I did was the original MomMD t-shirt, (the one that looked like a female physician version of da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man), and not the t-shirt that looks like the new site logo. Maybe the old t-shirts will become collector’s items !. Take good care everyone! — Mary

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Visit Mary’s Diary at http://www.mommd.com/mbbindex.shtml

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.