Mentor for premed

Home Forums Mentoring – Become a Mentor Mentor for premed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    biohazard08biohazard08
    Participant

My name is Taylor and I am a non-trad premed in Ohio. I am married (2.5 years) and one son (14 months). I struggled with anorexia for five years and I ultimately took three years off from school. I have found that life does not always come wrapped in a neat little package. I am currently a full time student earning a 4.0. If there is anyone, traditional or otherwise, that is looking for someone to relate with during the long, tedious process of medical training, I am willing to be a friend, confidante, or any other appropriate title. Feel free to send a private message. I will then forward my personal e-mail address to you for easier communication.

mommy3girlsmommy3girls
    Participant

Hi, i have barely begun my pre-med schooling and wonder how students manage to study and get through it with kids. I have 3. Even after one graduates, what is the quality of life with family? I am 29 and married and enjoy my life with my family. Is it something that one gives up for 10 years? Thank you for any advice you can give. mommy3girls

Drme2bDrme2b
    Participant

we have a lot in common Taylor :wave:
    It’s be great to correspond with you!!
    I sent you a PM 😉

Jacq

Jenny78Jenny78
    Participant

I know how all of you feel. I am 28 with 3 kids (7,4, and 2). I am so worried about how my decision is going to affect my family. They seem supportive now but maybe that’s because they don’t think I will actually go through with it. What happens when I do….will they still be supportive? Am I asking too much from them to basically act like a single parent household for 4+ years? I keep telling myself that in the end I will be setting a good example for my children and eventually the financial worried will be fixed so all we have to do is make it through until then. I really hope I am right. I want this so bad but I don’t want to ruin my family in the process. I have to believe that its doable and that my story will be a success story, ending in me being a physician and my family being proud and supportive along the way. Good luck to all of you!

TLCTLC
    Participant

I share many of your concerns. I’m 24, married, two children (2 1/2 and 6 months) and applying to med. school summer 07. I often wonder if my decision to become a doctor with spring up dysfunctional children and a statistical, failed marriage, neither do I want. I’ve wanted to pursue medicine for as long as I can remember, long before I understood the meaning of responsibility, malpractice, and poor reimbursement. I don’t want to sacrifice my family; however, I’ve tried to stay home with them and give up medicine and I become a miserable, bitter person. Medicine almost feels instinctual to me. I don’t feel it would be beneficial to my children to have their mom home all the time, just to suffer depression. I just hope, in the end, I make the right decisions.

Drme2bDrme2b
    Participant

I’ve tried to stay home with them and give up medicine and I become a miserable, bitter person. Medicine almost feels instinctual to me. I don’t feel it would be beneficial to my children to have their mom home all the time, just to suffer depression. I just hope, in the end, I make the right decisions.

TLC – I’m right there with ya…I too have become that miserable & bitter person and it’s awful. It’s only been by acknowledging my dreams and setting the plan in motion that the “veil” has been lifted. I’m sure my family singing HALLELUIA!!!! :rotfl:

TLCTLC
    Participant

I’m grateful for others who can relate. I feel like I’m in a bubble many days..,like I relate to no one. Most of my “friends” of many years have grown distant and do not understand my career goals. My family thought I would give up the “doctor thing” when we started having children. The women I meet through my children don’t understand “how I can stand being away from my kids that much.” (NOT HELPING ME HERE! :no:

BJS55BJS55
    Participant

I am 27, married for 7 years, we have 3 kids ages 8, 6, and 5. I just starting my premed classes. I am a non-traditional with an MBA. I have a completely supportive husband and family.

I worry about successfully completing my premed classes, the MCAT (let me just add that I am a straight A student, but don’t do well on standarized tests), financially supporting myself and family through med school…

I am very familiar with residency life since I managed residency programs for the last 5 years.

I don’t like the fact that I can’t really plan where I will be in 5 years…it all depends on which medical school…then where I would match for residency…I hate the unknowns….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.