Missing my son

Home Forums Medical Students Missing my son

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jessicajessica
    Participant

Well, I am 6 weeks into my first year of medical school and the lack of time with my two year old is beginning to take it’s toll. I am finding the combination of the stressful academic enviroment and lack of time with him very depressing. The weekends are the big killer for me. I feel like I am just getting snippets with him and then I am off to study again. How are you other moms adjusting? Were any of you stay at home moms before starting school? I think that is part of the adjustment that I am going through right now. I have been home with him since he was born and I feel so disconnected right now. Just feel kind of low and wanted to post.

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

hi! i wasn'[t at home full time before i started school but i worked part time and was off a few weeks before school started. my son ha da difficult time adjsuting firtsly to being back at day care at all but then to moving to 5 days a week. also whiel thinsg were adjusting, we had ot pick him up later also and he had a difficult tiem adjusting to that. however he loves his day care so the transition was not as bad as it coudl have been.
    also, i really plan my time to be with him but it really is less. i am with him from after school ( afround 4-4:30) until he goes to be at 7:7:30, when i take breaks from studying and saturday mornings we have a play group so thta time is solely for him.
    what really makes me feel bad is that he always calls for me. he doesn’t fuss but he sings “mommy, mommy…” to the tune of frere jacques. when he does it when i am with him, i have a response with his name. i struggled ot get into a routine and i think that has really helped the transition.

TayoTayo
    Participant

Well, I not in Medical School. But I was once a single parent of my now 12yrs old daughter. Where I went to school fulltime and worked fulltime. Schedule something like this 8-2 school 3-11pm work. Now, I never really spent time with her except for weekend or too. I too felt awful still feel guilty. But my daughter says she never remembers me not being there. So, long story short. Spend as much time as you can because by the time they need you most you might be more stable at that time. Which is thier teenage years. Even if you only get one hour make it a good hour of listening,laughing and talking about whatever they want.

TayoTayo
    Participant

Well, I not in Medical School. But I was once a single parent of my now 12yrs old daughter. Where I went to school fulltime and worked fulltime. Schedule something like this 8-2 school 3-11pm work. Now, I never really spent time with her except for weekend or too. I too felt awful still feel guilty. But my daughter says she never remembers me not being there. So, long story short. Spend as much time as you can because by the time they need you most you might be more stable at that time. Which is thier teenage years. Even if you only get one hour make it a good hour of listening,laughing and talking about whatever they want.

jessicajessica
    Participant

Thanks for the replys. I am feeling better now. I am trying to spend the time that I have with him totally with him, without distractions, doing something fun. I think part of it is that he is changing so much right now and doing a lot of two year old tantrum-y kinds of things and I just feel disconnected, like I can’t read him quite right because I am not around him enough to get the context right. But, he seems to be doing well in general and I am going to take the day off tomorrow and be with him 🙂 which I am excited about. We just finished our block and tomorrow is a prosection lab so it is as good a day as any to skip!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.