Mom friendly DO schools?

Home Forums Medical Students Mom friendly DO schools?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    EliEli
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m wondering if there are any mom friendly osteopathic schools out there. I have a 10 month old and planning to have another before I start school(applying 06/03)which would make the new baby about 9 months old. My husband and I would like to have children not too far appart from each other (in age)this away thay can keep each other company and it’s not like I’m getting any younger. Would you consider this a better time to have another? or should I plan for after 2nd year? What about the schools has any one had a nice/bad experience w/ any DO schools? Thanks

erinerin
    Participant

Hi Eli,
    I just had to post when I read what you wrote. I am a first year at KCOM in Kirksville, MO. Around here, it seems like you are in the minority if you don’t have kids. Although, there are a lot more dads in my class than moms! Go figure…Well, all I can say is that I dreaded going to talk to the chair of the anatomy department when I found out I was pregnant. He could not have been more excited! This school is extremely family oriented. We have parents’ nights out often and children are welcome everywhere. The town is also a nice place to raise kids. It is so safe here. The only downside is if your husband plans on working, the jobs are limited in this small town. But if you’re looking for a family-oriented DO school, consider KCOM. We didn’t plan on having our first child while I’m still in school. But now that it’s happening, I’m very happy to have chosen this school. I feel fortunate to be in a place where people are so supportive of me. If you have any specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask. I’ll be more than happy to try to answer anything I can. Best of luck to you.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I feel that my school (Oklahoma State) is mom-friendly. There are a number of moms in my class and I’ve even taken my barely-sick daughter to a class (with the professor’s permission).

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I know there are more DO students out there!

Any other schools represented?

lorilori
    Participant

I was accepted into PCOM for the class of 2007. The school seems very “family friendly” (one of the reasons I applied and took their acceptance). I will be sure to let you know once I start in August. :rotfl:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.