MomMD…How about MomDO?

Home Forums Introductions & Connections MomMD…How about MomDO?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MomDO2BMomDO2B
    Participant

I realize this site is geared toward allopathic medicine but as a future osteopathic doctor and mom, I would love to hear from others who are interested in osteopathic medicine. The search I did on site didn’t yield much and what little it did was kind of old. Is it because there is so little knowledge about osteopathic medicine or is it because there is still a stigma attached to “osteopathic” medicine?

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

FYI – The name is MomMD but everyone is welcome. We have many DO members that can answer your questions… welcome!!

Sethina

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Hey there, at this point Im interested in both. To tell you the truth, DO seems to have a more wholistic approach (just from what I have read about it) It also seems to me from visiting the different sites, that they care more about the person’s qualities. I get a sense of warmth. I also have the impression they are more family friendly. Im not downing the MD schools. Just soo far, this is my impression. Anyone have any thoughts?

shellbellshellbell
    Participant

I am also looking into DO. I am attending a Conference this Sat at COMP. They are having lunch , tour, and you are set up into groups to ask what you would like. There will be students and staff answering the questions.

Sounds good to me, and would be a good chance to view the school and learn more about the DO.

Michelle

MomDO2BMomDO2B
    Participant

Hi and thank you for clarification Sethina! I have always been interested in osteopathic medicine and I only applied to osteopathic colleges. I believe in the total person approach (body, mind and spirit)to wellness and healing which is the foundation of osteopathic med. I am very happy with my choice thus far and encourage everyone to at least consider this path to a medical career. :yes:

erinerin
    Participant

I have been happy to notice several posts from osteopathic physicians and students on this forum. Let me also say that this is the only forum I have ever seen where MD’s and DO’s could get along and forget about all of the stupid arguments/comparisons that many of our colleagues feel compelled to get into. Maybe it’s just because we are women :p , but I love that this forum is so welcoming and the debates that come up are handled in such a mature and open-minded manner. Yeah for all of you! On another note, I am a second year at KCOM if anyone has any questions about my school or osteopathic principles in general, please feel free to email me! And again, thank you for keeping this forum friendly to all. It doesn’t matter what we call it, it’s still a home to many of the greatest women in medicine (not to mention awesome moms!)

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Hi Erin,
    I didnt see an icom for a PM on your post. Anyway, prior to your posting I am very interested in Kirksville. I know a DO who went there. I did have a question before, and emailed them and they responded quickly. On the reply they were very explanatory, and went out of their way to give what seemed to be a sincere thanks for being interested in their school. This made me even feel more comfortable about the school. I already had a very good impression of them from visiting their site.
    Where you originally from MO? I know they have a good percentage of accepted out of state applicants. Do you think they looked at you as a whole person when you applied? Are they family friendly? What made you decide this school, and what made it a better choice compared to other schools?
    Thanks, for offering answers to my questions!
    —Dana

erinerin
    Participant

Dana,
    I’ll pm you as soon as I get a chance. I have updated my profile so anyone should be able to email me now. Thanks for pointing that out! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.