MomMD Member Mosaic – Introductions and Reintroductions!!

Home Forums Introductions & Connections MomMD Member Mosaic – Introductions and Reintroductions!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

😀

MomMD has been around for 4 years this year, we now have over 3500 members! Many of you I know quite well, some of you have been around since the beginning. I’d like members new and old to introduce themselves, or re-introduce themselves in this thread. Help build this ‘member mosaic’! It will give a great overall picture of the kind of woman (or man) who makes us MomMD members. I’m sure there’s no such thing as a MomMD member.

So tell us who you are, where you’re from, what your story is and throw in something fun like what your favorite movie or hobby is!!

I’m Sethina, founder and big mamma of MomMD. I a medical school applicant (have interview this month) and a mom of two wonderful daughters aged 4 and 2. I need a vacation and my favorite hobby is cooking… who are you?

Sethina :goodvibes:

UCLABruinUCLABruin
    Participant

I’m Brittany. I’m 19 and a sophomore at UCLA, as the name implies. I’m not a mom (that will wait until I am married). I will be taking the MCAT in a little over a year. 😮 I like running/soccer, reading, art, Broadway, and SpongeBob. I also REALLY enjoy studying. It’s weird, I know, but I just love it. 😀

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

i’m liz. I have 2 kids a girl and a boy ages 13 and 10. I am married and am starting my prereqs. I have found a lot of good advice on the boards here and the non-trad. forums. I currently work as an NP and i know the road ahead is somewhat uncertain. It fills me with excitment. Good luck to everyone who is just beginning…and thanks to all who so willingly share there experiences.

FernetteFernette
    Participant

I’m a neurologist. I have 2 kids (6 & 8). I’ve been in academia (Asst Prof University of Chicago), group practice, and now have an absolutely perfect job which combines a home private practice specializing in kids with learning difficulties with homeschooling one of our children who is gifted with learning challenges. My husband is another doctor. I also have a faculty appointment at the University of Washington. I’m have a great time. Fernette

NanonNanon
    Participant

Hi all. I’m 33, married for (almost) 9 years, and currently working towards my BA in Cognitive Science at UC Berkeley. No kids yet, but we’re trying. :crossfingers:

I was a highschool dropout, so I’ve been in college for what seems like forever – 8 years! I transfered to UC Berkeley from City College of San Francisco as a Junior… 3 years ago. :laughing: Needless to say, I’m doing the “extended” educational tour. I plan to finally walk next Spring.

As for what I do to make money – I’m a research assistant on a study that primarily looks at HIV medication compliance among homeless and marginally housed people. My volunteer stuff is pretty interesting too. I run one of 3 anonymous HIV test sites in San Francisco, at a needle exchange no less.

Sometimes all of this seems ridiculous. I started college because I wanted to be a doctor. I started with the erroneous belief that if I just worked hard enouph, I’d be out in 4 years with straight A’s. Again, :laughing: . My life, at least, has a different agenda. I may never make it to medical school. If I don’t, it would be something to get over, but then I think of where I was when I started and marvel at where I am now. It was worth it, regardless.

Example: Last night, I went to Nasa Ames with a friend of mine. She does MCB research there, and in fact had an experiment on board the Columbia. I checked out her research, and we talked about it for a while. It struck me on the way home what had really just happened… I, the highschool dropout, the ex-stripper, the girl most likely NOT to succeed, had just spent 2 hours talking intelligently to one of the foremost scientists in this country… about science. College education? 20,000. That one experience? Priceless.

Nanon

mmk3mmk3
    Participant

:wave: Hi! I’m a clinical research associate in Boston and an candidate for medical school for this fall. I’ve been married for almost two years to a great, supportive guy. Right now, our plan is to wait on having children until after med school. I had two interviews in Nov-Dec, and am waiting to hear back from schools. This is a terrific website, and it’s been great reading everyone’s comments and words of advice. I wish the best of luck to everyone who is considering a career in medicine, and continued success and perserverance to those who are already in it.

Elizabeth AbdallaElizabeth Abdalla
    Participant

Hi all!

I’m Beth and I’m a first year med student at UT in San Antonio. At 31, I’m older than the average student, but surprisingly it’s been a great advantage. Prior to med school I was in graduate school and I’m still working on completing my thesis for my Ph.D. I have a 16-month-old son and a very family-oriented husband without whom I couldn’t be in medical school.

I’m also a member of the Air Force, which is paying my way through school.

I’ve been a lurker on this website since it’s conception (so long I forgot my original user name and had to re-register), so I’m looking forward to being a little more involved.

-Beth

DanaDana
    Participant

I am a 32 year old mother of three(ages 9,8,6) with a biology degree from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. I have been accepted to the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine for the 2003 entering class. I am interested in radiology and cardiology. Love this site!

hrsbkrdrhrsbkrdr
    Participant

I am a 41 year old pediatric orthopaedist who has been in practice for 8 years. To all those who have not yet taken the plunge into medical school, I would advise you to seriously consider another career. Medicine is not what it used to be and the reimbursement is going down every year. The personal sacrifices that you will make as you go through school and residency also have a very high price tag. I would be willing to bet that the divorce rate among women physicians is two or three times that of other professions. Medical marriages probably have the highest. You are guaranteed to be sued at least once and I guarantee that it will be traumatic, even if you did nothing wrong. My 3 year old son cries every morning because his mom will be gone for at least 12 to 14 hours that day and he is being raised by a nanny. At least I can afford a nanny and private school. In the next ten years, if the insurance companies have their ways, the women physicians behind me will be doing day care and public schools and still working 14 hours a day….

MADSKYEMADSKYE
    Participant

:wave:

Hi,

I’m sort of lost :confused: at the moment, career-wise that is. I have a five-month-old :rotfl:

Thanks for listening!

lorilori
    Participant

Hi all :wave: ! I don’t think I have ever done an intro, although I have many posts. I am 33, married and have a six-year-old son, Isaiah. I had a B.S. in Criminal Justice and Political Science (law school on the brain) when I became pregnant with our son (which, in itself is a miracle because I was told at a young age I could not have children). I decided to postpone law school for a few years until my son was a little older. I started off as a pre-med major while I was in the USAF, but changed my mind when I separated from the service six years later (oops!) I always had the urge for med school, but was afraid of the long and grueling hours. I stepped up to the plate three and a half years ago after I lost my father to CHF. I returned to my alma mater to get the necessary classes, etc. The hard was has actually paid off! I will be attending PCOM come August :rotfl: !
    I currently work in the health care field as a Nursing Assistant (six years now). I work for a private duty agency, but it has recently been contracted out through Allied to care for the mentally challenged who also have some medical problems. I love the work, the pay is great. I think I will at least be ready for the “scut work” as a MS3/4 and intern.
    I have a very supportive husband. He is a contractor by trade. He is a very loving husband and great father. He is very excited about our move to Philly.
    In my spare time, I love to spend it with my son- bowling, movies or just playing Legos. We also camp every weekend from April to October. Well, long enough for me. So happy to be a member of such a GREAT site 😀 !!!!

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Wow, I’m loving all these intro’s!

Let’s see, I’m nearly 33, married 11 years with a wonderful 8yr old daughter and 6 yr old fraternal twin boys! My husband is a business consultant who travels during the week, currently to CA. My boys are in half-day Kindergarten and love soccer. My daughter is a 3rd grader and preparing to compete in her first gymnastics meet next week! I’m a very proud mom, and a busy one, too.

I’m currently taking my last prereq course, org II, and studying for the April MCAT. (BA in Anthropology, 1991) I also volunteer in a Hosp ICU, a wonderful and sobering experience. I’ll be applying to med school later this year! 😀

I read voraciously and am planning to start writing with my husband after I finish this semester. (he’s been asking me to write down my stories for years)

Oh yes, I’m also the moderator for this forum and love reading everyone’s stories!

Theresa

meckleymeckley
    Participant

Hi!

I’m 26, and working as a research technician in pharmacology. I think I am unique to this board since I am not going for an MD, but a PharmD in the fall.

Well, at least I hope so. I have an interview at my first choice in two weeks, and the wait is killing me!

I have been married for two years to a wonderful man who is in his second year of law school. We don’t have children yet, but we are desperately searching for the right time for us to do so…I know, there’s never a right time, but maybe a better time?

I found this site while looking for information for women who are trying to balance professional career goals with starting a family. Kudos to MomMD for being a forum for women to discuss these types of issues!

Ann DockendorfAnn Dockendorf
    Participant

My daughter introduced me to this site when she was in med school in PA, and it is one of the ways I can support her and be more aware some of her challenges. She is now a 2nd year anesthesiology resident in Houston, with a stellar husband, a 4-yr-old daughter, and another baby expected in June. — So my membership is more for sideline observation and connection to the community of women in medicine at all stages. Medicine has always fascinated me, although I never considered it as a profession. I am a web designer in California.

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Hi everyone! :wave:
    I just posted an intro, so I’ll keep this short and sweet. I’m 17, working on 36 hours in college, and a mother of an 8 month old baby angel(Madeleine :goodvibes: ). I’m planning on becoming a doctor. I’m not sure what specialty yet. I wish everyone the best in the future. Thanks for the site! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 301 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.