MomMD Member Mosaic – Introductions and Reintroductions!!

Home Forums Introductions & Connections MomMD Member Mosaic – Introductions and Reintroductions!!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    KTbearKTbear
    Participant

Hello, my name is Katie. I am 28 years old and am just starting my first year working towards my undergraduate degree. I am married and have two beautiful boys, Isaac – 23 months and Andrew – 6 months.

I have always wanted to be a doctor but I thought that now with a family I wouldn’t be able to do it. As of now I am interested in Emergency Medicine, I think it would be a good fit for me.

My husband, my mother, and my best friend all fully support my decision to pursue my dream. Everyone else gives me the one raised eyebrow look, and basically tells me why it’s not gonna work out and that I will tear apart my family. I have to admit that hurting my children is my biggest fear. I’m afraid I will miss so much of their lives.

I’m gonna push on and hope everything works out. I am grateful to have found this website and connect with other women going through similar situations. Good luck to everyone!!! 🙂

MamaMellyMamaMelly
    Participant

Hi, you can call me MamaMelly, a physician year 2, currently doing Cardiology in a government hospital in Malaysia. I’m married for 2 1/2 years, blessed with a daughter of 7 months. Did all my study in my native country, except for 3 years following my mother who worked in the US.

There are up and downs to my journey of becoming a doctor, and now that I am one, the road is a never ending one until I die.

I love being a mother, and I believe I’ve always destined to be one. I just didn’t know who to have it with then (hehehe). I love babies, I love small children, and I love to educate.

Hopefully I can be a good doctor, and a wonderful mother.

PhysMomPhysMom
    Participant

Hi. I’m a 2nd yr resident in PM&R and only six weeks along in my first pregnancy. I just got done dry-heaving in the waste bin of my attending’s office and am wondering how this is all going to work out.

I’m overwhelmed.

tsunamitsunami
    Participant

Hi! I am a 37 yo physician, work full-time and have 2-year-old twin boys. For those of you who are still going through med school and training, let me tell, you it is really challenging to be a mom and a doc. Full-time is more like a 7am to 7pm schedule. Some days, the only time I see my kids are during the 10 minutes in the morning that I drive them to daycare. My husband picks them up and I have a evening nanny cook dinner and feed and bathe them so that they are in bed by 7:30 pm. The reason I work full-time is because we need to pay for the mortgage and my student loans. We moved to an area of the country where a 1600 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 50-year-old ranch house has a $1M price tag. That’s all we could afford; my husband doesn’t make as much as me, he’s only a lawyer.

SW to MDSW to MD
    Participant

Hello!

I am a 30 yo pre-med, will be an M1 next fall- it’s a sure thing- deposit sent out today! :goodvibes:

Moving along with me will be my husband of 8 years and our three children, ages 5, 3, and 21 months.

I work as a social worker with individuals with serious and persistent mental health conditions. Mostly schizophrenics, personality disorders, DID, etc. Very interesting and challenging in that you realize all of the preconceived notions you carry with you prior to actually working with someone experiencing a mental illness.

Hobby…hobby… does sleep count? :laughing:

rianah100rianah100
    Participant

Hi,
    I got accepted into one school so, I guess I will be a doctor after all! I became a Mom after I joined this forum and I will be starting med school next fall. I am still interviewing so, I have not put down the deposit yet. I have a 15 mo. old son. I was a software engineer before quitting that job/career.

rianah100rianah100
    Participant

Originally posted by SW to ??:
    [b] Hello!

I am a 30 yo pre-med, will be an M1 next fall- it’s a sure thing- deposit sent out today! :goodvibes:

Moving along with me will be my husband of 8 years and our three children, ages 5, 3, and 21 months.

I work as a social worker with individuals with serious and persistent mental health conditions. Mostly schizophrenics, personality disorders, DID, etc. Very interesting and challenging in that you realize all of the preconceived notions you carry with you prior to actually working with someone experiencing a mental illness.

Hobby…hobby… does sleep count? :laughing: [/b]

SW to ?? are you going to DMU? I will be interviewing there in Jan.

momof3md2bmomof3md2b
    Participant

Hi everyone :wave: ,

I’m a 33 y/o mom of three ages 9,5,and 2. I am currently working on completing my degree in Biology (4 more semesters to go; :boggled: ). Finally, I am in a position to concentrate on classes and move forward. Good luck to all of you and I look forward to having this site around during my journey.

DrBananaDrBanana
    Participant

I am 28 years old and am shooting for fall ’10 entry into medical school. I was pre-med in college, but chose a career in teaching math & science because I was under the impression that it would be more family-friendly. Unfortunately, teaching did not hold the same allure for me that medicine does. I found myself saying “I would have been a really great doctor” and then realized that I’m too young to have such a big regret! I’m working on fixing that and following my dream.

I currently work in higher ed, I’m a musician, and I enjoy playing soccer.

Annamomof2Annamomof2
    Participant

I solidified my decision to pursue my educational aspirations and become a doctor. Making the decision was tough, but here I am! I am 30, mom of 8 and 6 year old boys! I have a loving and supportive husband. He is extremely busy man, so kind of I am on my own. I am looking for a mentor here. Though there is so much information out there, I need someone to guide me through. I am sure I will find a lot of help here. I have 18 credit hours with a GPA of 4. I will be enrolling in biology and Eng 2 in CC this semester. I will take more load later on. Kind of testing the waters right now. And I need to maintain that 4 GPA. I am hoping to meet some of the moms from the Dallas area. That would be so inspirational.

SesheriaSesheria
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

My name is Cecilia, I’m 34 years old and will be getting married and trying to start a family in April this year. I live in the Greater Vancouver area of British Columbia, Canada. I’ve always wanted to do something more than what I fell into after high school (banking/insurance) but this last week had an epiphany. I decided I can and want to become a doctor. I never went to post secondary so will be doing this from scratch. Intellectually I know I can do this but I don’t know what this will look like practically when I know that I don’t want to put off having a family any longer. Does anybody have any experience with this? I’m excited that I know the path that I should be on but I’m a little daunted over the family issues that can and will arise from having half the team in full time study and quite probably part time work as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! [email]sesheria@hotmail.com[/email]

biogirlbiogirl
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I am 29, living in Central Mass, have a child, husband and this little dream to become a doctor. I am so happy I found this site, so many amazing women, such inspirational stories. I am from former Soviet Union, have lived in US for almost 8 years now, finished college here, but feel now that it was luckluster (I graduated Summa Cum Laude, but no notable achievements). It took me years to realize what I am and what I wanted to do, but better late than never, right? 🙂 I am hoping to find others to chat, share experiences, tips, maybe even study for MCAT together? Many thanks in advance!

RNmomof4RNmomof4
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I am a 36 year old mom of 4. I have been an RN for 14 yrs and I haven’t been scared off yet! I have wanted to pursue medicine for a while, but did not have the confidence/means to follow through. I have been so encouraged by everyone here, reading the posts and replies. I feel that this is an important forum, for women to see that it CAN be done. Well done to all of you who have achieved your goals, and thank you for continuing to support us in trying to achieve ours! 🙂

Bettina BurnetteBettina Burnette
    Participant

Hi:
    I’m Bettina Burnette. I am 47 and have a hubby that has been in medicine since 1981. I now want to take my post bac. premed sciences and take the MCAT and apply to med school. I want to do
    pediatric neurology and focus on psychoneuroimmunology and learning disabled children. I am interested in doing research in this area. My passion has always been children , I have seven of my own, and I want to take care of children the remainder of my life. Retirement is not appealing to me. I would like to be like Dr. Denmark, a pediatrician in north GA, and be practicing clear into my 80’s and 90’s…I plan to have a long life! If anyone has any advice to give, send it my way. Go girls!..I really admire those mothers who are also trying to balance medicine.

Med2011Med2011
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am 24 years old and I have decided to go to medical school. This choice has not been an easy one, as I have had many reasons to doubt whether I should do it. However, at this point I am trying to stay focused on my goal and confident in my ability. I am very happy to have found this site as a lot of the experiences are very inspirational.

One of my many questions with deciding to go to medical school had been the quality of life. I have always been a very driven person and always wanted a successful career in medicine. However, I have been in a very serious relationship (I know I am still very young :blush: ) for about 4 years. This is the first relationship that has started to make me consider having a family, marriage and all that good stuff…lol So then I started to second guess whether medicine was for me (another long story…I think I’ll start a diary…lol :laughing: ) However, after hearing so many stories on this site and during my volunteer service at the hospital…I have come to see that a family and medicine can work.

Well this is my intorduction…I could keep going if I allow myself…lol

I am excited to meeting you all and look forward to some great conversations.
    :hyper:

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 301 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.