moms in practice, speak up!

Home Forums Women Physicians moms in practice, speak up!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    UMMDUMMD
    Participant

Hi there,
    I am new to the board, forum and site in general. Like what I see and hope to become a regular discussant. I had seen that many of the responses were from students and residents, so I am more than happy to respond to the physician questions. I am an academic general internist, as is my husband. I am particularly interested in Psych’s comment (perhaps on another thread) about dual physician families. But in response to all your comments, I am being paid for 50% effort, of course working more than 50%, but I really do have a job that is somewhat flexible in that it is set in schedule, without a true private practice. I work in a clinic that is an ambulatory site for our city hospital, and see patients along with third year med students. I love this setting, and I love interacting with and teaching the 3rd years. I actually have recommended this site to many of them. While I like the hours, which I chose, to be able to spend time as mom to my 2 1/2 year old daughter, I lost my title and my benefits in the process, as our University has no “part-Time” academic track. I presently am working on negotiating this. Any comments out there would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear more and write more soon.

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

Welcome to the Boards, UMMD! It’s nice to see another physician join us… and post! Your questions, comments and observations are welcome.

I am in a VA clinic setting currently, full time with appopriate pay and nice hours, etc. but
    +++++++ FRUSTRATION! I have been thinking of going into private practice in this area (Mobile) and wish there were more mommd’s in this area who might be interested. Maybe the interest will develop.

I know of a couple of women who are in positions similar to your own in affiliation with our local medical school. They seem pretty happy with it, as you sounded. Is your husband full-time? Do you take call?

Thanks for posting!

rugratdocrugratdoc
    Participant

hello fellow mommd
    I am a 34y and am in a public clinic setting as a pediatrician. I work 75%FTE and have full benefits at my job. I have 2 young children both less than 3 1/2y. :twocents: I have gathered on the way.

rugratdocrugratdoc
    Participant

hello fellow mommd
    I am a 34y and am in a public clinic setting as a pediatrician. I work 75%FTE and have full benefits at my job. I have 2 young children both less than 3 1/2y. :twocents: I have gathered on the way.

Victoria RoseVictoria Rose
    Participant

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of issues on the table, so I will try to work through them as best I can:

Housekeeping: no matter what you have to do, it is worth it. How long does it take you to clean your house from top to bottom? How long will it take you to work for the price to pay for it? What can you do with your kids with the time you are not cleaning?

Money concerns: Your family is more important. Do not feel that you have to work to support the family. Eventually, your children will grow up and leave and you can never get that time back, but you can always go full time and more later to buy what you want, to pay the debt, etc. If it takes that you have to move to house with less mortgage (you may even be able to get a BIGGER house in a smaller town). Any child will tell you that they would prefer smaller home but more momma.

Making more money: Are the bills yours alone? Then why should the income be yours alone? Put all the money in the same pot, pay the bills TOGETHER every month and then the money is yours together and the bills are yours together and there is no such thing as I make more or less than anyone else. More discussion may be needed with spouse on this issue. Speaking of communication…

Communication: is needed most definitely. Just remember that just because we are physicians does not mean we don’t have the same issues as other married couples! Take some private time for yourselves. Go out to dinner alone, or have a time every week to hash out issues without the kids, too much accumulated issues causes more stress in the end.

One more point to the Anes with twins: a friend of my brother’s was carrying twins. Her pregnancy was going fine until 28 weeks when she was found fully dilated and she delivered. One the babies died just last week. I wonder if she would have changed anything about her lifestyle if she knew the possibilities. How about you?

Sorry about the long reply, I guess I have too much experience!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.