More women med students than men!

Home Forums General Discussion More women med students than men!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Concern as women outnumber men in medical schools

John Carvel
    Thursday July 4, 2002
    The Guardian

Medical schools should do more to attract male students who are being heavily outnumbered by women with better A-level results and more convincing extramural skills, the British Medical Association agreed yesterday.

Doctors’ representatives rejected a quota system to even the gender balance among trainee doctors.

But they were concerned that women were taking 60% of medical school places in the UK, rising to 70% at some universities.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/NHSstaff/story/0,7991,749021,00.html

Read this article (from 2001) saying that women UK docs are 20% LESS productive than men….

http://society.guardian.co.uk/NHSstaff/story/0,7991,394394,00.html

Does anyone know stats for US medical schools?

Sethina

KrystalKrystal
    Participant

How can they legally print blantant distaste for women physicians like that?!

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

I applied for school last year & checked out the AMCAS book for 2001. The book has pages full of statistics and I checked the female to male ratio of matriculating students- EVERY school had less the 50% some were around 20%. So there is no chance of females outnumbering men.

Mary B-B ToBeDocMary B-B ToBeDoc
    Participant

I say, consider the source, which is ultra retro- conservative in this case.
    As one of the articles states, “It might also be that 18-year-old males were attracted by other more lucrative careers.” Yup! In the U.S., a similar braindrain from medicine has happened in the applicant pool…those young men (and women) who would previously have gone into medicine are going to business and technology, IF they are attracted to careers for the money, not out of a sense of service and purpose of healing.
    A few U.S schools are currently 50-50 male-female, many are in the 30-70 to 40-60 range. I think it will eventually even out more, but I don’t want to see medicine as a career become a female ghetto. Doctors, both male and female, need to get active in HOW medicine/healthcare is run and not leave it up to HMO’s and bureaucrats. Certainly an eye towards the bottom line is practical, but it’s ironic how much of the GNP goes to healthcare in this country, while not producing the corresponding stats in actual health of the population.
    Okay, I’m off my soapbox with my 2 cents. Anyone else? — Mary

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

From my personal experience, med school classes are now, on average, 40 to 50% women. Women do tend to have higher scores and grades, and often are at the top of their med school class as well. Actually the top student in my husband’s med school class was a mom of 2 (had her second child during her second yr of med school). If I remember, she matched at Stanford doing ER medicine.

Sexism, however, is still there, and I find I’ve gotten it worse, being a mother, than my female classmates. I’ve had residents actually ask me who is raising my children, and comment on what a pity it is that I can’t stay home with them. I have politely, but firmly, corrected these ideas.

What concerns me even more are the falling salaries for specialties which are becoming “women’s specialities” i.e., the ones that most women are selecting or that are becoming predominantly female. These include peds, family medicine and OB.

Though salaries seem to be falling to some extent in all specialties, male and female physicians are still not paid the same amount for the same job. A female pediatrician working the same hours, etc. as a male, can expect to earn less money than her counterpart with a Y chromosome.

I am horrified at the number of obstetricians leaving the field because of exorbitant liability and malpractice insurance rates, and have had to seriously rethink my original decision to try to match in OB. I don’t want to have to work 5/12 months just to pay my insurance bills. I do not have to make tons of money (like the $500K/yr OBs made in the ole days), but I would like to be able to make a living.

Two more cents for the pot…

Linda

Mary B-B ToBeDocMary B-B ToBeDoc
    Participant

Linda’s right on the mark again on this….it’s important that we each choose a ‘right fit’ specialty and not limit ourselves to what’s considered ‘women’s specialties’. I’m interested in psychiatry/pain management/psychoimmunology and the like. I will most likely seek a dual residency in psych and internal medicine, so I’ll need to double board, but that’s fine. Malpractice is also a real consideration for all of us on this road; malpractice costs vary — sometimes greatly — from state to state and from one specialty to another. More 2 cents! — Mary

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.