MS1 Fall classes

Home Forums Medical Students MS1 Fall classes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I was curious what classes the various schools schedule for the first semester.

At my school we take:
    Anatomy (including embryology): 10 hrs
    Histology: 5 hrs
    Biochemistry: 5 hrs
    Osteopathic Clinical Skills: 3 hrs

What do you guys take?

futr_babyDOcfutr_babyDOc
    Participant

At NYCOM we take:

Anatomy (including Embryo and Histo)
    Physiology
    Biochemistry
    OMM (Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine)

ttmonsterttmonster
    Participant

At SUNY-UB we are doing modules/systems approach. We just completed medicine and society (epidemiology and biostatistics), clinical practice of medicine, Foundations I (all the basic sciences rolled into one) until mid-Oct., Foundations II (mid-Oct. till December), Anatomy, and Histology.

Tara

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Originally posted by ttmonster:
    Foundations I (all the basic sciences rolled into one)

What does SUNY consider to be the basic sciences?

I wonder which is worse, taking the short term modules or having everything at once for the whole semester?

DO2BDO2B
    Participant

Hey all!

Just finished my first week of classes (1st year) and very glad to have the long weekend to get a breathe and get even more on top of things : )

Anyway, I’m at MSUCOM and we take:
    Anatomy
    Physiology (includes histology)
    Biochemistry for just over half of the semester
    followed by Molecular Biology/Genetics
    Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
    Clinical Skills
    Doctor/Patient Relationships

Piece of cake!! 🙂

It is tough, but it’s also a very good program…and they really want you to succeed here. We’re all one big stressed but happy family! Sounds corny but true.
    By the way, we take all of our “basic” science classes with the allopathic students our first year. MSU is the only school that has such an arrangement…..the cooperation is pretty cool!
    The only bummer is that we go pretty much year round (only about 4 weeks off, collectively, in the summer)…whereas our “sister” MD school gets most of the summer off.

Hang in there everyone,
    Sue

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

bump 😀

capable1capable1
    Participant

At the Joan C. Edwards SOM at Marshall University, we are taking in the fall semester:
    Gross Anatomy
    Biochemistry
    Introduction to Patient Care
    total: 23 credit hours

Keep on keepin’ on….

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

Hello Group!
    At OSUCOMPH (columbus, ohio) We are on quarters. This quarter, we are taking a load of 24 credit hours, including:
    Anatomy: lecture, lab, clinical case correlates. This is the major portion of the 24 credit hours 12-15 lab hours, 5 lecture hours
    Embryology: 2 hour-long lectures per week
    Patient Centered medicine: ~1 hour per week, including introduction to medical ethics, professionalism, and palliative care
    CAPS: I forget what this stands for 😮 Basically one hour of lecture per week covering biostatistics, infectious disease, and epidemiology.

Biochemistry and other stuff will begin in November following the end (yahoo!) of anatomy. Good luck all!

Yours,
    Elise :p

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

Okay, my brain is on today, lol. Referring to my previous post, CAPS stands for Clinical Analysis and Problem Solving.

Yours
    Elise :rolleyes:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.