needing mentors

Home Forums Mentoring – Become a Mentor needing mentors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bjwarrenbjwarren
    Participant

Hi, everyone!

Most questions are answered in the general pre-med, med student, and resident forums, however, some are not. This is a slow board, but the find a mentor section often seems to have people checking in, even looking for people that have been in similar situations to be a mentor for them.

The mentoring boards are in need of mentors to answer these questions.

UPDATED: after seeing replies — many of you replied that you would be mentors.
    PLEASE go to the “Find a Mentor” board if you are willing to be mentors. Many new users are seeking answers. All this means to most is exchanging emails or possibly phone numbers if local to answer questions and help clarify the process for them.

Thanks,
    Brandi :goodvibes:

rugratdocrugratdoc
    Participant

hello, I would not mind being a mentor.
    I am a mother with 2 young children and a practicing minority pediatrician.

DrSleepDrSleep
    Participant

Hi
    I’m an anesthesiologist in private practice, pregnant at the moment with twins (>30 weeks)and will have more time for answering questions now since I took a leave until after birth – unless I end up in complete bed rest, since I don’t have a laptop.
    Dana

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

Hi Dana! So you took leave, good for you. I hope you have a little rest and some time to put your feet up before the babies are born.

I’m an internist in the Southeast who could answer some questions. (I’m a little reluctant to say “become a mentor” because I am not sure of the time I could commit… but you have to start somewhere.) I am married with a two year old and currently am working for the federal government. Nice hours, much frustration.

ladysurgladysurg
    Participant

I am a surgeon and the mother of three with a stay at home husband. As much as possible, I would be willing to answer questions, etc.

LenaLena
    Participant

Hello!

I am an American-trained Internist who is currently living in London, UK. I have left clinical medicine after deciding it did not make me happy and, now, couldn’t be happier working for a medical charity. Would be glad to help with anyone thinking about leaving clinical medicine. It’s a big world out there…

Lena

horsemanhorseman
    Participant

I am a pathologist, subspecializing in cytopathology. I have been in part-time practice as a hospital system employee for 12 years. This allows me time for my 3 kids (ages 17, 8, and 8) and husband, as well as the time to invest into my kids and other kids by being cub scout leader, 4-H helper, Taekwondo assistant, etc. etc. I also manage to continue to do some clinical research, publishing in peer-reviewed journals, lecturing, and being very active and productive in local, state, national, and international medical associations. I also do occasional consulting in the medico-legal and quality assurance areas. I am vice-president of a family business development company that helps people prioritize and learn to move towards goals, especially by freeing up non-productive time to pursue goals that are truly important to them in their lives. I have been able to reach this state of balanced, productive and enjoyable life in part due to the mentorship I have received over the years, and in part my willingness to think “outside the box” and to take cousel from wise mentors in various areas of life.
    It is possible to “have it all” although not necessarily all at one time. The key is to sit down and seriously (be frank with yourself) decide what your and your family’s priorities are, and to then organize your life and time to harmonize with those. You may be able to meet your various needs in ways you have not thought of before. For example, I know an academic physician who loved seeing surgery and the pathology found during surgery, etc. She also liked to sew. Her first thought was to be a surgeon. But, she ended up being a pathologist (seeing the specimens) and learning needlepoint (sewing). It is nice when ALL of your personal, mental, family, social, physical, spiritual, emotional, financial needs, and others can be met with one thing. However, that is rarely the case. The trick is to taylor the mix to fit your needs best. I for example, always wanted to do research, but wanted to sleep in my own bed at night. So, I became an academic pathologist. When I was interviewing for residencies, several reseidency directors tried to talk me into internal medicine or geriatrics, because I was so good with patients and took such an interest in them. So, I did aging research, and started a business where I help people simplify their lives and ease their financial problems, which leads to decreased tension in the home, decrease stress-related illnesses, etc. etc. Again, not one actvity will fill all needs. I think that physicians in general are trained in a culture that encourages “going it alone” and thus discourages mentorship. Maybe this is why , despite the great earning potential of most physicians, and their high intelligence, they are often suffering under financial and relationship stresses. We are not trained in life, but generally only in “medical techniques”. We can be better physicians if we are better trained in a well-rounded manner. I am thankful every day for the mentor I have had.

jodilearnerjodilearner
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am a new memeber of MomMd, and I am looking for a mentor. I am currently going to University of San diego, and a mother of three. I am biology major, and want to go on to medical school. Any advice, direction, is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jodi

premed82premed82
    Participant

Hi everyone :wave:
    I am a 20 year old Jr at MSU in Texas. As far as I can remember i have always wanted to be a doctor. I think it was due to my mother having medical books and pregnancy books lying around the house when she was pregnant with one of my siblings. i thougt it was something i would eventually grow out of especially when some of my relatives would ask what i wanted to do when i grew up, and they would give a disbelieving smile and say “sure, that’s nice”” :footinmouth: but 15 years later, I have not been able to shake it off. I even tried to convince my self to take up nursing as a freshman. but after the first semester i changed it to biology knowing that I wouldn’t be satisfied. Right now i’m already starting to get overwhelmed with these chemistry physics and Anantomy courses and im not even over the first hump. I am realing starting to doubt :confused: myself, but i can’t see my self doing anything else other than becoming a obstectrician. I don’t have any children but i want at least three, and thinking about balancing a high pressure career and family seems almost impossible to me. I have the feeling that i running out of time to choose exactly what i want to do, but at the same time im not going anywhere. I really need some motivation and and a mentor . Other than this website which really is a life saver, i had no other place to turn from an experienced person being that i will be a first generation graduate. If anyone can give me some feedback i would highly appreciate the :grouphug: support.
    Thanks A lot!!!!

bjwarrenbjwarren
    Participant

Many new members looking for mentors. :scratchchin:

Brandi 😀

drmcd1drmcd1
    Participant

Premed82, I would be happy to be your mentor. I am a first generation graduate as well, my parent did not even graduate high school. My mum did get her GED when I was about 9, and she had 3 kids. I went to college as an older student and a single mom with a 2 yr old. My family was totally against what I was doing, so I had no support – it was awful. But I survived and my son did too. He is a great 17 yr old young man. Anyway, if you still need a mentor let me know – my e-mail is drmcd1@drmcdougald.com
    Carolyn :wave:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.