New Older Pre-Med

Home Forums Introductions & Connections New Older Pre-Med

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SongSong
    Participant

Greetings All.

Where do I begin?! Firstly, I must say that it is so wonderful to see how many “non-traditional” or rather, women who are committing themselves to the pre-med path later than sooner. My name is Song Bennett. I’m a 37 year-old single mother of two daughters (12,19) My path has been long and convoluted. It has taken a great deal of time to even get my BA in Writing in Literature. Struggling with poverty and traditional, cultural messages regarding women, I have often felt defeated – yet the lifelong dream of becoming a doctor continually re-emerges. I have been surprised by the lack of support from close friends and family and unfortunately, have taken to heart many of these messages. I come from a working poor family who didn’t really know how to support academics and I continually struggle with false perceptions regarding my intellectual abilities. In any case, I keep running into the tide only to find myself too terrified to fully commit myself to the medical school path. I received my EMT certification over the summer and was prepared to begin my prerequisites this fall. Due to financial difficulties, I dropped the classes and thought that I should be doing something more immediate. I promptly applied for and got accepted into a Graduate Social Work Program and a few weeks in – I realized that it wasn’t my passion. I am now taking an IV-certification course and applying for any job remotely patient-care related. I’m hoping to get started on my pre-reqs this spring. I would love to hear from others and hope to gain the much needed support that we all need as we navigate through new waters.

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Welcome! I know, from experience, how hard it is to pursue a difficult path when you don;t have a lot of support behind you. That’s what we’re here for!
    My experience has been that the longer I continue down the premed path and show confidence in my choices, the more support I get. Ironic!

Good luck!
    Theresa

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.