NOT mentioning being a mom in personal statement

Home Forums Premed Students NOT mentioning being a mom in personal statement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

I haven’t mentioned being a Mom in my personal statement because quite frankly it’s not related at all to my desire to pursue medicine. In my mind if it’s not directly related, for example you became interested in medicine after having a child/spouse become seriously ill, why mention it and deal with the potential discrimination?

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

there is an article on the website about this… Click here…

Footer 01

I’d like to add an update to this so if anyone has any additional comments to add, put them all here!

Sethina

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Sethina:

I can’t figure how to post a reponse there, so I’ll post mine here.

I see medical school as a “job” of sorts and I wouldn’t mention being a mother at a job interview or on an application for a job. Also as an African American female, I frequently deal with people assuming that I have never been married especially since people think I’m a lot younger than I am. I guess I’d rather just avoid what I call the “welfare assumption” altogether.

As for schools that are “family friendly” I’m asking these questions about the schools on my list well in advance of my application so I’ll have a pretty good idea about what I’m dealing with long before interview time.

Kim

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Well, I just can’t keep quiet on this topic! 😀

There’s no reason you should have to mention the fact that you are a parent when applying/interviewing for med school. I’m sure many guys have opted not to bring up the topic. It’s like not having to talk about your sexual orientation or religion. It’s personal. period.

On the other hand, being a parent brings it’s own challenges that you have to face and which you can use to demonstrate your determination/creativity/maturity, you name it! I see motherhood as being a plus and I want the schools that I apply to to know I feel that way. It also happens to be a big part of why I am 33 and just now applying! No one questions my motivation when they hear what I’ve dealt with. So I guess I’m saying that if you feel being a mom is a strength, don’t be afraid to talk about it. While not every interviewer will agree with you, some will think more highly of you for it!

I want to interject here that I’m not speaking just to you pathdr2b. I wouldn’t want you to think that I was criticizing your choices! 😉 I respect all the different ways we have of dealing with being nontrad applicants.

Theresa

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

thought I’d add my experience. First application cycle around I mentioned motherhood. No interviews. Second time I didn’t mention it, got interviews at 2 out of 4… not sure what this means but just some extra info.

Sethina

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

I didn’t mention it in my personal statement for the same reasons mentioned before but it was definalty a topic of conversation at each of my interviews. I feel that it is a part of us that makes us more qualified to become physicians than the average applicant.

BevBev
    Participant

My personal statement was built around a story about my daughter. Kind of hard to not mention motherhood in that context! I might not have mentioned it at all except that I had one of those “aha” moments that involved a situation with my daughter in the ER.

If you don’t want to mention your kids, don’t. If you do, then include it. It’s a *personal* statement, so you should feel free to address those issues that are important to you and shaped your decision to go into medicine. For me, there were many factors revolving around the adoption of my daughter that led me to finally decide to apply again and that influence my ideas of how I want to practice medicine.

I think it is more important to be sincere than to address any one particular issue. While I don’t equate it with a job application, I can understand your preference to treat it as such. I’m sure you’ll do fine. Good luck to you in your applications!

Bev~

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

What I would like to know is how many people who when they applied mentioned being a mother and got accepted?

I recently have heard in a post about discrimination against mothers applying to med school. It doesn’t make sense. Who is to say a person accepted without kids won’t have a couple during med school? Or be early in their pregnancy and fail to mention it at the interview. For this reason I dont think being a mother should matter to med schools. At least if you are already a mother and have fought your way to med school you are already seasoned for the load while a new mom may experience more difficulty in adjusting while in med school. In that case accepting a woman with no children could be riskier than accepting one with children. The discriminating adcoms views are contradicting themselves. To exclude women who are mothers from getting into med school, based on that mentality, should exclude all women just on the premise that they may have children during med school and not succeed. Can’t do that now can they………….

————Dana

residentmomresidentmom
    Participant

I am a 4th year and applying for residency right now. I mentioned briefly in my personal statement (do those things EVER go away? :rolleyes: ) that I will deliver 2 children during medical school. I debated about it but it came down to:

1. I think the fact that I had (or will have) 2 kids during med school and still finish in 4 years says good things about me. 😉

2. I will be fairly obviously pregnant when I interview, so may as well get it out in the open.

3. I am not interested in programs that are not family-friendly, and I want THEM to know that about ME. They may as well not bother if they are not, because neither one of us will be happy.

It’s a personal decision, but that is what I did. Maybe you could take the old “2 list” approach. One for what you would gain by telling, and one for what you would lose. Good luck with your applications! :wave:

residentmomresidentmom
    Participant

PS — I think it was OK, I got 5 interviews in the first week! 😀

YearstogoYearstogo
    Participant

Originally posted by pathdr2b:
    I haven’t mentioned being a Mom in my personal statement because quite frankly it’s not related at all to my desire to pursue medicine. In my mind if it’s not directly related, for example you became interested in medicine after having a child/spouse become seriously ill, why mention it and deal with the potential discrimination?

Hmmm. I think, based on the posts of yours that I have read, that being a mother only makes your accomplishments all the more impressive. Also, you clearly can hold down a solid professional life regardless of the state of your personal life, and that’s an asset for medical school in my mind. Of course, I am not on an admissions committee. It just seems a rather large thing to leave out of a personal statement! Good luck, whichever you decide.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Yearstogo:

Thanks for the supportive comments. When I originally wrote my personal statement last summer it just never dawned on me to include anything about being a mother. I only thought about why I didn’t mention it after seeing the topic on Mommd.

While being a Mom obvioulsy adds much to my personal life, it just wouldn’t add anything to my personal statement IMHO. I aspire to a career as a cancer researcher so I did mention my father’s death from prostate/colon cancer a few years ago because it’s related. However, becasuse in the course of talking to people being a Mom comes up one way or another, I’m sure I’m going to mention it when I get to the interview stage.

So, it’s not a matter of feeling like I have to leave the fact that I’m a mother out of the PS, it’s just that it is more likely to come up in conversation for me.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Bumping this thread!

And I’d like ot add that in my interview for a program at Hopkins, I did mention being a Mom to 2 of my 5 interviewers and my understanding is that it DID work AGAINST me just like I thought it would. These 2 men commented on my “commitment” to a research career given my other responsibilities! Despite my over 15 years doing research, I’m sure they only saw a single black female with a kid to raise WTF!!!!!!! :rolleyes: 😡

So I’m glad I had this exeprience because I won’t be mentioning being a Mom again! :no:

CabinbuilderCabinbuilder
    Participant

I did not mention the fact I was a mom in my PS either. I guess I felt it was not relevant as to why I had a passion for medicine nor did I feel it would complement my essay in any way. The fact never came up in my interview and I was happy about them focusing on me rather than my other commitments, which IMHO was not their business. However, I do agree that if you can incorporate being a mom as being advantageous to your desire to pursue medicine, etc. then by all means. You really have to know yourself and the school you are applying to determine what route is best for you and your application.

lorilori
    Participant

I mentioned being a mother in my personal statements. I got interviews and acceptance. I think it is a matter of personal preference. I actually thought it made my statement stronger and a little more unique. Just my :twocents: .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.